Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #1

Xtreme body works (Jeff) headlight review

Jeff's headlights have been on the market for some time now and chat has dropped off recently or I suck at searching. Anywho, any issues, do you still love them, etc?
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of black ones but want to hear from those who have them first.

Thanks in advance

Strachan

strachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #2

Jeff's Headlights???

Could you post a link or pictures.

I only know of the Nine8six custom Mini MoriMoto projectors and bezel.

Surely you've seen how cool these lights look if you are looking to update the looks.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #3

I think he is talking about the LED lights that were popular a little while back, like these:

For 97 04 Porsche Boxster 98 01 911 Chrome Housing LED DRL Projector Headlight | eBay

They are Halogen bulbs with led turn signals I think. They look cool but I have seen several reports of leaking and also fitment issues. I would go with litronics or the Nine8Six retrofit (in fact I went with litronics but if/when I get a nice set of halo clears I am going for the retrofit)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I am obviously biased, but...

Halogen bulbs
Water intrusion
Fitment issues
LEDs dying quickly or not working at all

I might take a set if they gave them to me for free
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Save your self some grief , get Particlewave to do a 986 conversion and it will looks great ...not cheesy
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #6

I got the MK2 set. Had them for over 6 months. my passenger side headlight has 2 LED that have already died. Now I haven't checked what I need to do in order to replace them, but I think that even though brand new they look absolutely beautiful, they are most definitely not worth the $1000 I paid for them.
I know Chrono has also got them, I also wonder what are anyone else's experience.

PS. I would also go with Particle's and Nine8Six's set, looking back
Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm actually going to be installing the projectors into Cronos set in the coming weeks or months.
He's still waiting on his replacement set so that he can send me his current defective set for the retrofit.

I don't think the lights look bad and to be fair, LEDs are a huge PITA. Sure, they last long when good, but there are always a few bad ones that need to be weeded out of the bunch and sometimes they don't show signs of being defective until after several hours of use, by which time they are already installed in their given application.
I can completely sympathize with that situation.

Anyhow, Crono and/or myself will have a set of these with the custom projectors installed at some point.

Stay tuned...
Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the input everyone. PMs inbound
strachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #9

Also heard about fitment issues. Some are harder than others to lock (and unlock) but that's all part of the game with some aftermarket parts isn't it.

Best options is like others have recommended (thanks to you guys btw). Either a set of Litronic headlight, although not cheap, or the bi-xenon retrofit. Both greatly delivers far better lighting performance than halogen - and shaves off 10 years from the car - appearance-wise

Sent you a pm

(congrats on your new roadster acquisition!!!)
Old 06-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I'm actually going to be installing the projectors into Cronos set in the coming weeks or months.
He's still waiting on his replacement set so that he can send me his current defective set for the retrofit.

I don't think the lights look bad and to be fair, LEDs are a huge PITA. Sure, they last long when good, but there are always a few bad ones that need to be weeded out of the bunch and sometimes they don't show signs of being defective until after several hours of use, by which time they are already installed in their given application.
I can completely sympathize with that situation.

Anyhow, Crono and/or myself will have a set of these with the custom projectors installed at some point.

Stay tuned...
I was actually thinking lately into reaching out to you to see if you could fit the protectors in the MK2 housing. I guess Chrono beat me to the punch.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #11

I wonder where they got the outer lens? If we could buy just that, tgst would be a neat thing to go onto an old pair of amber halos as part of a retrofit...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #12

Yes. I've looked into this for us here and for the 996 guys. Even flown 45min away to go visit this factory and to deliver a set of amber lens so they can be copied. Great factory, advanced forming and injection methods and all but man.......

Minimum order: 2,000pcs
Mfg price: $228 (L+R)
Suggested retail price: $325

If I don't go for the min qty 2,000 units, he then charges me for the mold work = $30,000 (one shot deal)

30,000/325= I'd need to sell a hundred kits before even starting making a penny profit lol

Harsh life eh

Old 06-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #13

I want to chime in on this thread. I can give you an in-depth review on both the lights and Jeff.

Let's start with the lights.
When brand new, I believe these lights are the prettiest ones we can get for our cars. The projector itself might not be as nice as madmod's, but how the LED turn signals fade is probably one of the coolest things. I also have the 997 TURBO LED turn signals integrated into my front bumper, so the quad LED lines are very attractive to me.

However, in terms of quality, it leaves A LOT to be desired for. I'm going on my THIRD set right now (at least, I would be if they had them in stock. More on that later).
My first pair had lens cracking. This may be attributed to me living in Arizona where temperatures are in excess of 110F, but they shouldn't crack regardless. My second pair (which are now in the capable hands of Particlewave) had LEDs burn out. My third pair, which doesn't yet exist, will hopefully reach me sometime this lifetime.
The lights look great, but you can tell they're somewhat cheap. They feel slightly fragile, and if you really look closely, you can see the build quality is just not that great. I've even heard of some people's melting when running fogs for too long. I've never had any fitment issues, but then again, I've yet to have a pair work 100% for a whole year.

As to Jeff.
I've purchased the majority of my parts from Jeff. The front bumper, turbo lights, and headlights are all from xtrememotorcars (Jeff's shop). He is a really nice guy, really personable, and really reasonable. I will continue to do business with him as my car progresses.

However, there is one faff that I've yet to forgive him for. And that is the warranty-service of these specific headlights. The first pair failed after 8 months. He said that if I were to warranty a set, I'd have to pay for shipping. No big deal, I gave him the necessary funds to ship the lights. They didn't arrive for THREE MONTHS. The second set failed after 10 months. He said, once again, that I would have to pay for shipping. Again, no big deal. I gave him the money in DECEMBER 2013. I have STILL YET to receive the lights. I recently called him and berated him for it, and he refunded my money.

He claims the problem is with the manufacturer/supplier. He told me that for the first few months, they've been doing R&D to try and make the headlights better, and haven't sent him a single one. It costs them a lot of money for each set that has been warrantied, and I know for a fact I'm not the only one giving him trouble. He and the manufacturer are actually losing a lot of money for these headlight units. However, I recently learned that he has received new headlights in stock, sent to him by the manufacturer. But instead of honoring our warranty claim, he is going to go ahead and sell them to new customers, claiming that he "purchased these headlights" in order to sell them, and that my warrantied pair were still being processed. Keep in mind, it's JULY 2014 now.

I understand that it is out of his control, and that it is up to the manufacturer to ship him my refunded headlights. But as a customer, I shouldn't be the one suffering for this fckup. As the middle man who sells these lights, I believe it is his responsibility to shoulder the burden, instead of just shrugging and saying there's nothing he can do, while he profits on the purchase that I made. Keep in mind, both pairs of lights failed within under a year, and I paid for the shipping of the warrantied pair. If I was an a-hole, I would just say I wanted a full refund and ship him the lights back. What irks me most is that he has headlights in stock, but will not warranty them to me because he is leaving it up to the manufacturer.

I cut our conversation short because it wasn't going anywhere. As I said, he's a nice guy and I'm going to continue to do business with him. He can get really nice parts for cheap. But in regards to his dealing with this situation, I am not happy at all.

When all is said and done, Jeff is still a good guy. And the lights are beautiful when they work.
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:22 AM   #14

i would completely agree with everything that crono has said. i too have had 3 rounds of these lights now. the original bulbs are useless and had to replace them several times already. the lights look cool and add years to your car. there are definitely fitment issues. i was never able to lock mine in. i just literally lay them in and hope that don't fall out with a hard stop. haha. i also agree with jeff's accessment. took me years to get replacements. i think if you are going to sell something, then you need to be responsible for it. don't just push the blame to the manufacture. just my opinion.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Wow...
The fact that he would sell them before taking care of his customers is absolutely 100% inexcusable. No way. Completely and utterly unacceptable.

I'm upset and they aren't even mine. Very. That's low and I know that you say his products are worth being a customer, but based on this alone, he will never get any of my business. Period .
Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #16

Particlewave,
I have really re-considered doing business with him myself. But unfortunately, he can get specialty parts for very cheap. And when my other lights failed (the 997 TURBO lights), he warrantied those right away.

I believe the old mantra "you get what you pay for" applies here.
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Old 11-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #17

I want to bring this thread up, as it's been completely a year (nearly) and I still do not have my lights.

Jeff at xtrememotorcars has become more and more unbearable. He has been avoiding my phone calls and not replying to my e-mails. Then one day, sends me a random e-mail saying that he has the lights. On top of that, he has the audacity to send me a PayPal invoice requesting money for shipping. Keep in mind, I've already used up two sets, and I've paid for shipping each and every time. The last two times I've sent him money, I didn't get my lights until at least 6 months later (actually, the second time I didn't get my lights at all). So before I send him money this time to get this warranty set (which he claims has passed customs and is on its way), I ask him to please "physically have the lights ready to ship before I send you any money." His response,

"alright whatever"

That was dated Nov. 10th.
There has still been no reply. My phone calls are met with voicemail (after a random amount of rings, sometimes immediately), and my e-mails remain unresponsive.

I do not recommend these lights or Xtreme Motor Cars
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #18

Refund

Demand a full refund of all money you have paid him
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #19

I agree. I had issues working w him as well. If you look on eBay, he has the audacity to sell them there. But when asked if u have them in stock, he said those are for new purchases only and not for people to get under warranty! Stay away from him!!! But I do love the lights.