Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,429
You Know 911 Prices are Insane When...

You know 911 prices are insane when the current bid on this is $11,300. Seriously?



Porsche 911 911 | eBay
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Porsche9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,794
Crazy money for a engineless rust bucket. To think I sold my cherry 78 911SC for $17,500 which I was thrilled with as it was more then I paid for it. A lot has changed in 10 years.
__________________
03 Carrera
02 Boxster S Guards Red, black interior with matching hardtop
89 Carrera 4
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 691
You know prices are insane by the size of the shill.


/
__________________
SOLD - 2002 Boxster S - PSM, Litronics, De-ambered, Bird Bike Rack, Hardtop, RMS leak...
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:06 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,724
Long Hood 911's have become stratospheric in value in past 2 years, they are pulling up the other air cooled 911's with them.

Here's a 71k mile 993 "S" for $73k:

Used 1998 Porsche 911 Carrera S 2D Coupe - VIN: WP0AA2991WS320827 at Pacific Porsche - New and Used Porsche Dealer Serving Torrance, CA

Another one in slate grey with 8k miles that Canepa sold in a matter of days (according to the guys who called them on the Rennlist forum) for, get this, $130k. Unfortunately it will never really be enjoyed / driven now:

Canepa Serving Scotts Valley, New, Used Cars -

It really makes me wish I had coughed up the $8 to $10k premium the S's were bringing over NB cars a few years ago when I bought mine. But then again, I still regularly drive mine without concern of running up the miles.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:12 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,429
I keep tinkering with the idea of getting a 70's 911 but everytime that I look I come away shocked.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Prices go up prices go down.

When there's cash to spend in an economy the truly rare and limited cars fetch top dollar. Frustrated that one cant have those people then pour their cash into cars that are not nearly as limited. When the market corrects, as all hot markets will -- thats what makes it a market, these cars will plummet the hardest. But those barn find RS cars will always be top dollar on account bof the fact that Porsche didn't make a million of those type Carreras.

But at the end of the day you're buying a used car to enjoy. So if the price is right for you and don't feel like waiting for the market-correcting "reality check" like we saw in 2009, then who is too say what price is insane or not. Give it 20 years and these cars will not be 550 money. The big fans for these cars are not spilling over into the younger generations who will for the most part not be as well off and dont have nearly the emotional attachment as guys who learned to drive in the 70's and 80's.
Then there's the issue of having people who can still fix the more ubiquitous air-cooled varieties.... at reasonable rates. Analog is a dying art.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-26-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Prices go up prices go down.

When there's cash to spend in an economy the truly rare and limited cars fetch top dollar. Frustrated that one cant have those people then pour their cash into cars that are not nearly as limited. When the market corrects, as all hot markets will -- thats what makes it a market, these cars will plummet the hardest. But those barn find RS cars will always be top dollar on account bof the fact that Porsche didn't make a million of those type Carreras.

But at the end of the day you're buying a used car to enjoy. So if the price is right for you and don't feel like waiting for the market-correcting "reality check" like we saw in 2009, then who is too say what price is insane or not. Give it 20 years and these cars will not be 550 money. The big fans for these cars are not spilling over into the younger generations who will for the most part not be as well off and dont have nearly the emotional attachment as guys who learned to drive in the 70's and 80's.
Then there's the issue of having people who can still fix the more ubiquitous air-cooled varieties.... at reasonable rates. Analog is a dying art.


Perfect - Air cooled engines are easy to fix. They were built to last in the first place, and they easy to service by comparison to "modern" cars (or even a 986). They simply don't have the complex systems, or electronics.

Coreseller - as you know, the 993 "S" is a very very hot car. For those that don't know, the "S" is the wide body variant of the 993. It has the body and features of the turbo, without the mechanical risk (and complexity) of owning the turbo long term. In hindsight, I wish I bought the S too...although, I still might. And for the record, I drive my 993 pretty much all the time too.

Also, I'm not trolling -- but my 6 year old is looking over my shoulder and wants the troll:






/
__________________
SOLD - 2002 Boxster S - PSM, Litronics, De-ambered, Bird Bike Rack, Hardtop, RMS leak...
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
Registered User
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of naught
Posts: 1,302
those damn baby boomers ( pop. bulge) and the cars they read about as kids... anybody priced a 1926 Cadillac lately?
__________________
Death is certain, life is not.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Yes I understand that air-cooled are a lot more wrenchable. But that's not really what I'm saying. DIY and very expensive parts are not a good mix with the current generations. I call it the iPad generations. They just didn't grow up tinkering in the garage. They expect things to be all done for them, they consume nearly perfect products layed out on a silver platter. Once the current middle-aged crop of Carrera die-hards are no longer the meat of the buyer curve, who will keep bidding up $12K heaps like the one TheStone posted? I wonder how many under 30 year olds would choose an air-cooled 911 or 993/964 over a 991 Turbo or GT3?

And as it now, even finding a reliable and well-respected indy to work on even a water-cooled Porsche that's out of warranty is a matter of handful of shops in any state. Here in NJ where we have a ton of Porsches we're talking 2 or 3 that have been around for at least 10 years. And I don't see many new shops opening up.
Those parts will only be getting more expensive and the specialized labor to work on the cars will stay limited. This is going to reduce the pool of interested buyers to those who can simply buy turn key cars or those with the tools, time and space to DIY (a minority). So basically the best,low-mileage, Carreras will do well as far as market value. Particularly the truly limited production Carreras. But most don't fit that bill. So if they experience a spike during the market ups and downs you definitely want to be a seller. Buy on the dip and flip on the bounce back, just like a house.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-26-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Okay, $12K for a rusted heap sans engine is starting to make sense now. Apparently late 60's is where the deep-pockets look.


1967 Porsche 911 Coupe offered for auction | Hemmings Motor News

auction estimate: $175,000 - $225,000 US




1967 Targa $150K asking
1967 Porsche 911 Targa for sale | Hemmings Motor News


Although this is still the king of Porsche ROI .

$3.6 million Porsche
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-28-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Registered User
 
jb92563's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,664
I hate to say it but in 30 years all the baby boomers that have fond recollections and value these cars will be dead and the kids left with these ancient hulks of environmentally unfriendly, gas guzzling, passenger and driver unfriendly, decomposing plastic and metal heaps will be using them for boat anchors or sending them to the recyclers to gain some carbon credits.

Those that are selling now are getting out while the demand is high, incomes are still good and the supply is somewhat limited. Smart move!

Its best to get what you want now and enjoy it now as those that follow will likely not see the value in them, except for a very few, and these relics will just disappear into oblivion in favor of newer technology vehicles. Forget about the long term investment aspect as that will plummet at some point when the technology is so arcane that the demand diminishes to nothing.

How many of you would chose a Model T over a Boxster these days?
Few will see the value or desire the older technology vehicles at some point regardless of how rare they may be.

How many cars from 40 years ago are still around? They are all scrap metal but for a very few, out of Billions that were sold.

That's why I don't get why you would buy a car that your not willing to enjoy now while you can.

Just Saying...
__________________
"It broke because it wants to be Upgraded "
2012 Porsche Performance Driving School - SanDiego region
2001 Boxster S, Top Speed muffler, (Fred's) Mini Morimotto Projectors, Tarret UDP,
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-28-2014 at 11:46 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I hate to say it but in 30 years all the baby boomers that have fond recollections and value these cars will be dead and the kids left with these ancient hulks of environmentally unfriendly, gas guzzling, passenger and driver unfriendly, decomposing plastic and metal heaps will be using them for boat anchors or sending them to the recyclers to gain some carbon credits.

Those that are selling now are getting out while the demand is high, incomes are still good and the supply is somewhat limited. Smart move!

Its best to get what you want now and enjoy it now as those that follow will likely not see the value in them, except for a very few, and these relics will just disappear into oblivion in favor of newer technology vehicles. Forget about the long term investment aspect as that will plummet at some point when the technology is so arcane that the demand diminishes to nothing.

How many of you would chose a Model T over a Boxster these days?
Few will see the value or desire the older technology vehicles at some point regardless of how rare they may be.

How many cars from 40 years ago are still around? They are all scrap metal but for a very few, out of Billions that were sold.

That's why I don't get why you would buy a car that your not willing to enjoy now while you can.

Just Saying...
I wouldn't pay what is currently being asked but your points seem to contradict themselves, even outside of technology and use many people will want the very few left here many years down the road. I can't think of any old car that has virtually dimished to no value despite few being alive that could have owned them when new. Think of pre war cars.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
my Indy guestimates about $20K in metal work alone. Hmm... no bids since the 24th. Guess all the other flippers went somewhere else for a foreclosed and gutted Porsche.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-28-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
SOLD for $15K!!! Now just another $60-80K in costs to go!
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
SOLD for $15K!!! Now just another $60-80K in costs to go!
I know a few guys who re-built better condition 911's than this and they put MUCH more than $20K into the body work alone. This is a $100K+ build.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Okay, $12K for a rusted heap sans engine is starting to make sense now. Apparently late 60's is where the deep-pockets look.


1967 Porsche 911 Coupe offered for auction | Hemmings Motor News

auction estimate: $175,000 - $225,000 US




1967 Targa $150K asking
1967 Porsche 911 Targa for sale | Hemmings Motor News


Although this is still the king of Porsche ROI .

$3.6 million Porsche
Yes, its weird: late 60's 911's are insanely priced, yet a '73-'74 is $30K? Clearly, I do not understand the 911 market.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Frederick MD
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, its weird: late 60's 911's are insanely priced, yet a '73-'74 is $30K? Clearly, I do not understand the 911 market.
I think you'll find that the 1973.5 and earlier cars are priced well over the the 74+ cars when it comes to vintage 911s. The SWB cars of the 60s have gone into insane territory. I don't think it's justified. They've appreciated 500% in the last 12 years. I think Porsche's decision to phase out air cooled engines caused this insanity. For a long time every a new 911 was introduced, it was just a better more refined version of the last. Then we got the 996...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:24 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
I think you'll find that the 1973.5 and earlier cars are priced well over the the 74+ cars when it comes to vintage 911s. The SWB cars of the 60s have gone into insane territory. I don't think it's justified. They've appreciated 500% in the last 12 years. I think Porsche's decision to phase out air cooled engines caused this insanity. For a long time every a new 911 was introduced, it was just a better more refined version of the last. Then we got the 996...
True but I think at the end o the day this is supply/demmand phenomena.
If Porsche sold 20-30K 993 and 964, rather than falling to barely ~2,500 in 98 for NA they'd be selling for a dime a dozen like the 996/997. Air-cooled or not. There simply are not that many buyers of secon-hand, out of warranty German cars.

I thought I heard Magnus Walker commenting that one fo the late 60's Carreras had turned out to be one of the most difficult for him to find. I'm guessing the rust issue has made an already limited supply ($$$$) even more ($$$$$$).
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
Registered User
 
993innc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: At the Beach in NC
Posts: 102
I'm happy, keep going old 911's......it's making my "new" model worth more too
__________________
Chris
- 1997 993 (started it all) - 1975 914 1.8L w/F.I. (restoring now) - 1985 "1958" 356 Speedster (cruiser until 914 is complete)- 2002 Boxster (future, ney...current! track car)
RENT ME FOR YOUR NEXT VACATION: www.vrbo.com/489534 or www.vrbo.com/499924
993innc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I know a few guys who re-built better condition 911's than this and they put MUCH more than $20K into the body work alone. This is a $100K+ build.
THIS.....

A shop a little north of me that handles my paint / body work had this in on a rotisserie, I believe it is at ~ $50k at this point....

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page