Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Calling Out Pedro Bonilla!

Pedro,

Why are you re-selling the iCarsoft PORII for a significant markup, and calling it something else, as if it's something special that has something to do with your business?

I want to know. Is there something special about the one you're selling, or are you just trying to profit off of owners that don't know it's just an iCarsoft?

I'm not just trying to be confrontational; I really want to know what's special about the unit you're selling. If nothing, then I am trying to save owners that may be duped by you from doing so.
Hot - Hot - Hot ...

Thanks!
Charles

PS: I see that you let the thread on you page go quiet AND lowered your markup (still cheaper to just buy it from iCarsoft). Is it because you got caught?
We can save your rebranded $20 HID kit that you're selling for $200(!) for another discussion.

Edit: added text from post #27 below.

What's this all about? I can't stand liars, especially those that lie in an attempt to profit from others.

Quite frankly, I don't care what the few think. Pedro outright lied on his board, claiming that this was some new product he developed and then marked it up $75 from the real deal. This is a pattern of behavior with him (not the first time) and anyone with a brain and fingers to operate a keyboard can check.

If he comes out and admits to lying, after being caught red-handed, I might consider deleting my posts. Otherwise, this thread and my opening statement will stand as record and be updated regularly.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-27-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

This will be interesting!
Asking people to 'email' their credit card details is a no-no!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Pedro,

Why are you re-selling the iCarsoft PORII for a significant markup, and calling it something else, as if it's something special that has something to do with your business?

I want to know. Is there something special about the one you're selling, or are you just trying to profit off of owners that don't know it's just an iCarsoft?

I'm not just trying to be confrontational; I really want to know what's special about the unit you're selling. If nothing, then I am trying to save owners that may be duped by you from doing so.
Hot - Hot - Hot ...

Thanks!
Charles

Edit: I see that you let the thread on you page go quiet AND lowered your markup (still cheaper to just buy it from iCarsoft). Is it because you got caught?
We can save your rebranded $20 HID kit that you're selling for $200(!) for another discussion.
Charles,

Pretty sure it's called capitalism. Similar to:

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Center Cap Set - Full Color

Porsche Color Crest Flat Center Caps Set of 4 | eBay

Porsche Silver Concave OE Wheel Rim Center Caps 911 928 Boxster Cayman | eBay

Porsche Wheel Center Caps Set of 4 Silver with Gold Crest | eBay

4 Car Alloy Wheel Center Logo Cap Hub Crest Badge 77mm Face Silver USA Seller | eBay

Porsche 944 951 968 911 928 Color Crested Center Wheel Caps 928 361 032 11 TPP | eBay

Whether you pay $20, $50, $100 or $300.....bottom line it they are all small circular pieces of cheap plastic. And the choice is yours.

Not sure why you would bust a guy's chops for reselling a product, it happens every day at thousands of retailers across the country. Prices vary for many reasons, but you shouldn't blast him for selling something that he feels may be beneficial to others at a price that makes financial sense to him. If you don't like the product or the price, don't buy it.

Also if you do some research you can see that the price that Pedro is charging for this product falls right in the middle of the range ($175 to $249), so it's not like he is "gouging" anyone.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
He is being intentionally deceitful.

I'm calling him out for implying that it is a new product, and his product (he calls it the technOBDII or something) that can only be purchased through him.
He never mentions that it's just an iCarsoft PORII that has nothing to do with him.

And 10x markup on that HID kit is just robbery. Again, he tries to pass it off as his own product and imply that it is somehow better than the $20 Asian kits on eBay when in fact, it is the exact same thing (he doesn't even change the sticker, last I checked).

Why are you defending someone that tries to rip off other owners?
Comparing OEM Porsche parts and markup is not the same as someone that tries to pass off cheap products as great products AND includes a ridiculous markup.

To be clear, the iCarsoft sells for $150-$175. It is also junk (a glorified OBDII reader with no advanced functions - claims it can shut off airbag light, but online reports say otherwise).
He was initially setting his price at $250. That is no small markup. He has since lowered that to $200 due to being called out in the other thread. I'm protecting unwary owners...I don't expect him to actually reply.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-26-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #5

I've read your spew ...

… but I won't dignify it with an answer.
You are such a class act!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 04-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hahaha! That's exactly what I thought.
That you feel defensive enough to imply an insult directed at me shows both your level of integrity and intellect, and that my post struck true.

I'll just keep bumping this up to the top every once in a while so that all future owners will be warned.

I'm not trying to sell anyone anything.

For the butthurt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ks_wf1O0mA

Last edited by particlewave; 04-26-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #7

I am not defending anyone, I am merely stating my opinion, just like you are.

I looked at the two items in question and I do not see any language that says his product is superior to another. Also, the product may be "new" to him, so wouldn't it be correct to call it new? That also happens all the time, it's called marketing.

Comparing mark-up at retail or mark-up of a private label product or service with others is extremely valid. How many resellers of car covers, after market wheels, short shift kits, LED lights, etc. are there? And they all set their prices based on "what the market will bear"... Is that wrong?

Again...if you don't like the guy, OK, don't interact with him.

If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

If you don't like the price, buy it from someone else.

But don't bust his balls for making a buck. His product is $199 vs $179 to $249 (iCarsoft is not the only seller of this product)...pretty sure he's not "gettin' rich" on the $20 mark up.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Again, my post is more to inform other owners. I knew Pedro wouldn't provide an answer.

BTW, he absolutely does imply that "his products" are superior through his posts on his forum and through his "technical articles". I've got nothing against him, personally. I don't know the guy.

Don't like my post? Don't read it or engage in the conversation. If your sole purpose is to allow other owners to be deceived by trying to invalidate my points, I must call into question your motives.

BTW, thank you for helping me keep this topic alive and at the top!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #9

Free pedro

Quote:
Hahaha! That's exactly what I thought.

I'll just keep bumping this up to the top every once in a while so that all future owners will be warned.
I first called Pedro 4 years ago to ask something, I cant remember what it was. He ended up spending at least 30 min. answering stupid ass questions all the time being extremely polite. He steered me AWAY from buying a part from him! Twice I have called him and he helped me again without him knowing me or me having spent 1 red cent. Mr. Partical wave I value your posting however, today I feel you missed the mark. The next person I spoke to was Woody on this forum and I thought it cant be true to have 2 unselfish friendly people not caring about money first in there business from 1 forum but it is true.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
While I'll admit I may have been a bit rough on the markup issue, my question still stands:

What's so special about the iCarsoft unit that he is selling (rebranded, of course)?

And again, he only dropped the price from $250 to $200 after being called out for it. His original markup was $75. Click the link that I provided in the first post. He clearly implies that it is a new product exclusive to him, only available through him. If he edited that out, I have a cached version I can provide.

I'm glad that you had a good experience with him, as many have, but that does not excuse purposeful deceit.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-26-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #11

Another thought here is that for a new owner, like myself, the information provided by the OP is a way for me to learn about all the products available. Maybe the $20 is worth it to have a person at the other end. Maybe, it doesn't matter so the lower price works. For me the problem is calling item A something else to gather sales.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #12

Garage
I'm gonna get out my popcorn and watch "High Noon" tonight.:dance:
Old 04-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I'm gonna get out my popcorn and watch "High Noon" tonight.:dance:
Hahaha!

I won't address any more defenses of his tactics, so no showdown.
My post was meant more to be informative. All of the information should be weighed by any individual in order to make an informed decision about buying marked up products. High markup is a thing of the past, thanks to the Internet. A bit of searching will get you to the source and cut out most, if not all, of the middle men.

If he were not a member here, seeking to profit from other unsuspecting members, this would never be an issue.
Vendors don't get the treatment because they don't masquerade as members with your best interests in mind. He got caught lying. Get over it.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-26-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Nothing new, but I don't see the problem.

I am always linking people to the parts catalogue, because buying based on part numbers will save you a significant amount versus buying from some Porsche specific online stores. It doesn't stop most people from buying at a markup. If Pedro can make some money marking it up, good for him. I've got nothing against Pedro, he's always been very helpful, and he does offer a few parts that cannot be found elsewhere, but there are cheaper alternatives for a few of his products. For instance, the technoBrace started life as a DIY on this forum several years ago. Link
Old 04-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #15

The main intent of you post was not to inform other owners, your intent was to "call someone out"....read the title.....there's a big difference. If your goal was to provide information, you could do it in a more educational fashion. There are many good post on this forum, by fine upstanding people, that simply want to provide knowledge and assistance...all for the greater good.

Calling out someone because you have some type of personal vendetta or dislike for is self-serving at best and exposes your true motives. Providing well-documented information or heart felt assistance is one thing....spewing disrespectful "hate speak" is another animal all together.

Words you should strive to live by:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt."
Old 04-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Personal vendetta? You're kidding, right?

As far as helping others on this forum, that's about all I do. The reason he was called out is because he's had more than a month to reply to considerate and polite inquiries about the rebranded iCarsoft, but chose to ignore them.

You keep defending the tactics discussed, mentioning the markup issue, but completely ignore the real issue that I'm addressing: purposeful deceit by one of our members for the sole selfish purpose of making a profit off of unsuspecting owners.
Therefore, you have been deemed unworthy of future response since you have shown that protecting the interests of those seeking to profit from ignorance are more important than helping our community.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Personal vendetta? You're kidding, right?

As far as helping others on this forum, that's about all I do. The reason he was called out is because he's had more than a month to reply to considerate and polite inquiries about the rebranded iCarsoft, but chose to ignore them.

You keep defending the tactics discussed, mentioning the markup issue, but completely ignore the real issue that I'm addressing: purposeful deceit by one of our members for the sole selfish purpose of making a profit off of unsuspecting owners.
Therefore, you have been deemed unworthy of future response since you have shown that protecting the interests of those seeking to profit from ignorance are more important than helping our community.
I have been deemed unworthy by you? WTFAY?

You have definitely "removed all doubt".

Now...who called out who?

Last edited by Frontpage; 04-27-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #18

Garage
Pedro has been very helpful to a number of members here, including myself. So, personally, I'm dismayed to see this thread.

Many, many companies private label products from other suppliers. Unless they're running a philanthropic organization, they'll mark those products up. Sorry, this is economic reality and yes, marketing, and shouldn't be very surprising to any of us.

I wish you'd taken a "here's an affordable OBD II reader from iCarsoft" approach to informing less knowledgeable members, as opposed to the approach you took.

Just my $ .02
Old 04-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Pedro has been very helpful to a number of members here, including myself. So, personally, I'm dismayed to see this thread.
As have I.
That doesn't make it okay for him to purposely deceive 986 owners.

I challenge anyone to refute my deceit claims. You can't because it's right there in my first post for the whole world to see. If you're hurt because you feel I'm attacking your buddy, that's too bad. Feelings don't change facts and I don't adhere to the "everyone gets a trophy" PC mentality. I call it as I see it.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #20

How about this with no other proof to back it up?

The technoFix DOF is newly patented technology which we now keep in stock, ready to ship.

1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
Closed Thread