Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

New 986 owner.

So I've been lurking these forums for a few weeks now since I picked up my 2000 boxster and figured I should register and make an introduction! So a little background on myself, I'm 20 years old and just moved to the San Francisco Bay Area from Seattle for my job (commercial driver) and finally decided I had enough money put away to get into my first Porsche as I've wanted a 911 since I was a little kid, but can't afford one at the moment. So far I absolutely love the car, I bought it with 92k and it's mint inside and out, it's been very well cared for! Made the travel from WA to CA with not a single hiccup! So I'll add some pictures and ask a few questions for you

Now for some questions!

1) What brand/model headlights are these? I assume they aren't stock judging by the depo aftermarket taillights.

2) I've read up on the IMS/RMS Failures, now would that be a considering factor in a car with 95k? Didn't see any info as to whether that was when they were younger or if it's something that could fail at any time.

3) What wheels are these? From what I've seen and found they're Porsche Sport Designs, which is a 2-Piece wheel correct? Anybody have more info?

4) What are the typical mods most people do first? I'm thinking about GT3 sway bars, track aluminum floor mats, and possibly Ksport Coilovers.

Thank you for any and all help and I'm glad to be a new member! If anybody is from the area Id love to meet up and talk cars!

Ressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

That's one hot car!
Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #3

Those headlights look like the stock ones converted to Mini Morrimoto Projectors, and if they have the Porsche lettering on the bezel they are likely Nine8Six custom projectors.

Those might be 911 rims or after markets.

Nice looking all around.

The most common mods are the Under drive Pulley for 5 more hp and to save the PS pump if you race.
After market mufflers and 2nd Catalytic converter delete for better throttle response and more aggressive sound.
If you race then suspension mods, but you have to pick and choose carefully so you remain in the desired class.

If your car shows any sign of oil leaks what so ever, then I would get the rms seal and ims bearing looked at sooner rather than later.

Also you should get an oil change done soon and get a magnetic oil plug so that at the first sign of magnetic particles you can get the IMS bearing replaced.

Also, cut the filter paper open and look for metal flakes with a magnet. A few aluminum not magnetic bits are ussually not much to worry about but magnetic particles indicate something more serious.

Cars driven hard ussually fair better than garage queens. The Boxster can be driven hard and can take it without issues. Just do plenty of oil changes.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-04-2014 at 10:42 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

First mod - driver mod. The car is more capable then you so get yourself to a driver education and do some auto crosses. You will be surprised at what you will learn and how much fun you will have.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

First mod - driver mod. The car is more capable then you so get yourself to a driver education and do some auto crosses. You will be surprised at what you will learn and how much fun you will have.
Your so right about that, and a Porsche Performance driving school should be the first thing you do before anything else.

It will make you safe, and give you the confidence to really drive it to your and the cars limits.

plus you will make a bunch of new Porsche friends.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Welcome!

Those headlights appear to be retrofitted with aftermarket Morimoto Mini bi-xenon HID projectors, similar to my avatar except that mine are custom made by my pal Fred

Last edited by particlewave; 04-04-2014 at 11:10 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #7

Wheels are BBS Sport Design II, a factory option for the 986 and 996.

I put a track mat on the driver side and love it. Seems a bit silly for the passenger.

I'd hold off other mods until you get enough seat time to see what you really need, and enough knowledge to establish a realistic maintenance budget that will address ongoing needs as well as any potential deferred maintenance & failures. Then incorporate your mods into this schedule.
For most of us, that equates to 6-12mos before doing anything, in order to avoid doing the wrong thing out of sheer enthusiasm.

Welcome, beautiful car, and BOL!
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:19 AM   #8

Garage
Ksport shocks are a good bang for the buck. I have the premium set. slight sacrifice on road drive comfort, with a good feel in AX and on the track. Enjoy the car Welcome to the Forum.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Welcome. Nice car.

I'm from Antioch. Miss the Bay Area sometimes.

UD pulley and rear cat deletes.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #10

Given the milage, 95K, I would not consider any mods until you answer at least these questions:
1. Has the water pump been replaced?
2. Has the AOS been replaced?
3. Are ALL of the fluids fresh?
4. Has the coolant overflow tank (and cap) been replaced?
5. What is the condition of the front-end components?

It is not uncommon to spend up to $5k and the major "maintenance" cycle that can occur between 60-100K. Question is have these (and I expect more that I left off) items been addressed by the previous owner or are they lurking for you? If it were me I would hate to spend money on mods and then get hit with $5K of "unexpected" expenses. In summary, make sure you are working from a good foundation before adding to it.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #11

Thank you everybody on the kind words. I'm going to do preventative maintenance before anything of course. I actually got a new noise that started last night. Almost a squealing kind of sound coming from behind the passenger wheel. It happens at idle slightly but mostly anything up to 30mph. I took a video of it so once I figure out how to post it I will. Anybody have any clue what it could be? I haven't heard the sound of any other car, scared that it could be the ism but doubtful (hopefully) makes me really want to go get that done to take the worrying away, what's the average cost to have that and the rms done? If anybody knows a good mechanic around the Bay Area id be more than grateful. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Is it a squeal, or a chirping sound that changes in frequency with engine RPM?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Is it a squeal, or a chirping sound that changes in frequency with engine RPM?
I guess it would sound more like a chirping, and yes it gets more consistent with rpms but goes out after probably 2.5k-3k
Old 04-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Probably just a loose spark plug, but a video or audio would help with diagnosis.
It's fairly common.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 AM   #15

No longer in your area, so we can't talk cars. Nice color though, if I don't say so myself. Definately do the water pump at some point. I am on my third at 113,000 miles.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #16

Very nice car. Enjoy! My 2003 S has 92,000 miles also, and people think it's brand new .

I get an obnoxious squeal when I get a small piece of grit stuck on a brake pad. It might be something as harmless as that (I hope!).

Lower the spoiler. IMHO it looks squidly when left up all the time .

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote