Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

How do you pay for big repairs?

So last year I spent about $6K on repairs. Although I will admit to having a Jet Blue credit card, as a matter of principle I make every effort to avoid the credit card industry -- I'm convinced that no matter the perks, you will never enter into a worse agreement once you've read the fine print. All for the privilege of letting them make money on your purchases. I previously had an Amex for over 15 years but got tired of paying $350 every year when nearly everything they offer I can get somewhere else without paying a dime. My mechanic will actually take a check but maybe I'm not that old school... I once paid a $5K invoice in cash but that seemed like an unecessary risk, although I do carry a utility knife.

So how do you pay the big ones? bitcoins?

p.s.
on second thought.. investment account agreements that require you to give up your rights to bring action in civil courts (in favor of heavily pro-defendant arbitrations), in the event that they screw you over royally, are actually worse than the credit card agreements so I take that back.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Liberian gold. I got an email from a deposed General from their Army who was holding it for their Treasury dept. I was able to "buy in" to this deal by sending $20,000 for 500 grams. They said that gold was selling for $1,400 per gram so I paid way under market price. Best deal I ever made!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-06-2014 at 08:07 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #3

Garage
Last year when I got the motor done at LN I borrowed a 2.9% against the car It had been paid off with no debt, as of January it is again.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #4

Garage
Capital One, At least I can fly the family to a vacation destination every two or three years from the earned points. It works for us. We pay it off every month.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Here's $7000 cash. Two weeks ago.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #6

Depending upon the work done, Beaver Pelts or Conch Shells............

Seriously, I always offer to pay cash if it results in a significant reduction of invoice or I personally know the guys (in which case I'm already getting a discount), otherwise it goes on the "Royal Caribbean" rewards Visa to keep the Mrs. happy with future holidays.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:22 AM   #7

Garage
My car is paid for so When the IMS and clutch needed to be done I just parked it until the money was available. It took three months to get around to but I am a happy camper again.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #8

With money of course...

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #9

Garage
So far I am my own mechanic. I am really cheap like that.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #10

I try to work on my cars as much as possble from mechanical, electrical, to body work.

What did you repair last year that cost you $6K?
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #11

By far, most of our customers pay with plastic.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Here's $7000 cash. Two weeks ago.

This pic makes me laugh for so many reasons.
OKCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #13

The boxster, I've done pretty much all my own work so far. Our other vehicles, I have an arrangement with my mechanic whereby I hand him an envelope of cash and I pay a substantially reduced price. Shhhhh...
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCShooter View Post
This pic makes me laugh for so many reasons.
That went towards car parts and a new roof.

I grew up poor. Dad was a Union iron worker, our family car was a 65 beetle then a 78 Pinto wagon. Some lean times.

That was the second most cash I have ever held, and I felt a pic was indeed necessary. I have come a long, long way to be able to withdraw that.

Posted it because cash talks. I always carry cash and it often lowers the cost significantly.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
DIY extremist

Buy all my parts online, do the wrenching myself with an experienced general mechanic who provides the lift and a tool room. I pay him by the day.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #16

Garage
People who ask for a large discount for cash seldom last long at my shop. I always say no. The cost of the transaction is built in and withdrawing large wads of cash does not impress me. You either have it or you don't.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

Actually credit is king. Credit is how wealth is leveraged. It makes perfect sense to have someone else float your purchases for 30 days at no cost while your money earns interest. Its all about playing the spread and if its good enough for banks, its good enough for me.

That $7,000 was really worth $7,018 (at about 3% for a month). Making almost $20 on a purchase for doing nothing? It can't get any ea$ier.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
People who ask for a large discount for cash seldom last long at my shop. I always say no. The cost of the transaction is built in and withdrawing large wads of cash does not impress me. You either have it or you don't.
I guess the term "large discount" is relative, as often than not I don't have to ask since shop owners outlay the difference up front, usually 15 to 20% discount for cash. Luckily for me it has usually been for paintwork since I do most mechanical work myself, I can fortunately count on one hand the number of times I've done the cash thing. IMO if you can save money and the shop owner can do the same with a green payment it's a win-win.

BTW....pulling out a wad of cash would generate a major eye roll on my end also, it would evoke images of Little Enos from Smokey and the Bandit.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Actually credit is king. Credit is how wealth is leveraged. It makes perfect sense to have someone else float your purchases for 30 days at no cost while your money earns interest. Its all about playing the spread and if its good enough for banks, its good enough for me.

That $7,000 was really worth $7,018 (at about 3% for a month). Making almost $20 on a purchase for doing nothing? It can't get any ea$ier.
I'd rather help a small business with their cash flow than give those credit card rentier *#~^'s more of what they don't need and someone else does. I'm also moving my cash accounts to smaller non-TBTF banks and avoiding purchases from non-regional retailers in place of companies who keep the revenue/earinings local. If I want to make some money off the Bailed-out bank/credit card co. of the month, I'll buy the sector ETF.
OTOH...Help the local economy and jobs, increase competition. win win.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-07-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #20

credit cards and tears

collie is offline   Reply With Quote