Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

I have spent 2 days searching threads on replacing Bose stereo, please help.

I honestly have spent two of my vacation days this week researching how and what people of various Porsche forums have done to replace their Bose stereo system. I searched this forum, Rennlist, Renntech, Pelican Parts, and then Crutchfield & Rod, the owner of some audio shop that specializes in Porsche car stereo systems trying to figure out what owners of 2003 CDR23 head units and the MOST system are replacing their system with.

I read about lots and lots of replacements. Seems like Kenwood head units and Focal speakers are the preferred brands. However, I have not read specifically what owners of the same year I have and that darn MOST systems have done.

If anyone can answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it.
- What do I replace first, speakers or head unit & amp? Or is it all or nothing?
- I think Alpine or Focal speakers are the right way to go for the in-dash speakers. I know I need to modify the housing brackets. One over the other?
- Are those speakers in my door subwoofers? I thought my subwoofer was behind the seats?
- I really don't want to modify the doors to put larger speakers, so what is the best replacement option? Please be specific.
- I am willing to replace the amp, but I want to put the new one anywhere but the in the existing place at the amp.
- What head unit? Best one for the existing space, and the best one if I do the double DIN.

I really appreciate your help.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Parker986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #2

I don't have the Bose option, but I'm replacing my head unit too. But I'll help from what I've been reading and from what I'm doing too.

First you should say why you're replacing the stereo. Ist it because you don't like the sound, or you want bluetooth and ipod connectivity? What are you aiming for? Is it sound quality (SQ) or loudness (SPL)?

1 - Depends on the questions above. You can replace the head unit and the amp (or ditch the amp) , or just the speakers. I think you can't replace the amp without replacing the headunit, or vice-versa.

2 - in dash 4" speakers, you have to modify the brackets and glue the new ones to the existing top bracket. There's a world of speaker brands beyond Alpine or Focal. (Focal are a lot better than Alpine, btw) There's a lot of how-tos on that.

3 - They're subs, but probably only producing higher frequencies than the rear one.

4 - You can replace the door speakers with 5 1/4".

5 - You can put a new amp under a seat, behind a seat or in the trunk. Just have to wire it.

6 - I bought the Pioneer DEH - 80 PRS. Single din size the better I've seen is the Pioneer DEX-P99PRS. Don't know about double din.

Have you read this? link

Hope I've helped a bit.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #3

Urban,
Thanks so much for replying and sending the link on replacing a 2003 Boxster with Bose.

Here are the reasons I want to replace the system:
1 - Sound quality is awful IMO. I would rather hear clean speakers than loud speakers.
2 - I would like to be able to connect an iPod and it would be helpful to have Bluetooth.
3 - I am torn between wanting an updated look with a double din and keeping the Boxster as close to stock looking as possible. The double din would have all the bells and whistles, but lots of work. I installed a Dension iPod connection and replaced all OEM Logic 7 speakers in my BMW 550, what a PITA.

I assumed I would have to modify and bracket/housing to replace the in-dash speakers, which I am fine doing.

I just do not understand the whole MOST fiber thing and how and if it effects what equipment I install. To me, it would be optimal to be able to use all existing wires and not have to run anything new.

My plan would be to install a new head unit and speakers at the same time. Just not sure if I need an amp too.

Since I am having the LN IMS bearing installed, new water pump, likely new clutch and maybe flywheel, and all new tires, I was hoping that this project wasn't going to cost me $2,500. A replacement kit from that commonly recommended stereo place in CA is $2,500. Ugh

I was hoping forum members owners of '03-'04 986 Boxsters that replaced their Bose / MOST system would share their experiences and specific details on what and how they replaced. I understand there were far more '00-'02 986 models produced, which is why stereo replacement info is more available.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #4

I replaced mine. I had the CDR23, amplifier, CD changer, dash speakers and door subwoofers so not the Bose option. I replaced the headunit with a Pioneer 940bt satnav unit and a Alpine amplifier as you cannot keep the Porsche amp as it's fibreoptic only. I found a replacement that fitted in the frunk on the bracket where the OEM amp used to be.

First thing I did was add rear speakers, shortly after the headunit and amplifier, last thing were the dash speakers. The only wiring I replaced was for the dash speakers and I used the head unit to power the front and rear speakers off the head unit and the door subwoofers from the Alpine head unit which works really well. The problem you have is the subwoofers in the rear shelf, these are 1 ohm but there are others can help you with this.

Here's mine. As I said, I dont have Bose but can help with anything else:

Old 10-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #5

Still really having a difficult time getting all the answers I was hoping for on replacing my '03 Bose MOST CDR23 system with rear Bose subwoofer deck. I am having a heck of a time trying to find that had this exact system and replaced it.

Heck, I even struck out with Crutchfield. Here's their response on my current setup.

"Hello,
Our info is a little limited on the vehicle as the research we have only shows speakers in the dash and doors and no info on the rear speakers, but it sounds like you are willing to do the custom install and fabricate and modify the openings as needed. We don’t list anything about fiber optic wiring in the vehicle, but if you replace the speakers and want to add an amp you will need to rewire the speakers. Sorry we didn’t have better news on that.

For the receiver I would start with something like the Kenwood DPX500BT. It sounds very good, has Bluetooth, aux and USB inputs, and plenty of flexibility on adding amps. You can check it out here: ....."

So, if anyone knows of anyone that had this system and replaced it, could you please provide info? Thanks

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm not really sure what you're looking for here...you can get 10 different replies with 10 different setups. There is no single solution. Do some in shop research and go with what your ears tell you

Fwiw, I went pretty basic and it still blows the stock system away by a long shot. Sony Xplod HU(50 watts x 4) and Xplod amp(250 watts mono). The head unit powers 4 infinity 3 way "subs" in the dash and doors (5" iirc), and the amp powers a 8" kicker sub. Way more sound than I need and it sounds amazing at 75mph with the top down.

As far as your rear deck box, there are lots of threads about replacement speakers.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #7

I think you'll find the easiest path is to just replace it all with a better head unit, amp and speakers.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #8

My Becker amp crapped out on me so I ended up replacing my CDR23 with a JVC head unit, JBL amp and Polk Audio speakers. But IMHO, it doesn't sound as good as the stock system, although it does have ipod control and bluetooth. I really just wanted to replace the amp but you hardly every see them for sale and when they are, they are way to expensive. The tricky part, it you don't want to rewire your speakers is determining which pin on the amp connector goes to what speaker. With quite a bit of trial and error, I hand wired the output of my head unit and power amp to the pins on the factory connector that plugged into my Becker amp.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I'm not really sure what you're looking for here...you can get 10 different replies with 10 different setups. There is no single solution. Do some in shop research and go with what your ears tell you I am looking for someone that has the same OEM Bose '03-'04 setup I have, and exactly what they replaced them with, including head unit, amplifier, speakers, sub-woofers, etc. And, did they have to replace wires. Did they select one or two amps, and why.

Fwiw, I went pretty basic and it still blows the stock system away by a long shot. Sony Xplod HU(50 watts x 4) and Xplod amp(250 watts mono). The head unit powers 4 infinity 3 way "subs" in the dash and doors (you put subs in your dash?)(5" iirc), and the amp powers a 8" kicker sub. Way more sound than I need and it sounds amazing at 75mph with the top down. Thank you, I will look at your setup.

As far as your rear deck box, there are lots of threads about replacement speakers. I certainly must be doing something wrong because when I searched on +rear +deck +speakers only one result came up. So, maybe you can tell me how to find lots of threads about replacement speakers.
Here is where I am today.
1. I am trying to decide between a single DIN and double DIN
2. Would like bluetooth, iPod connectivity, HD radio, but not interested in Navigation (have iPhone for that). Besides, the navigation in my BMW stinks.
3. Willing to modify OEM brackets in dash to get good speakers to fit.
4. Would prefer to replace OEM Bose speakers in doors with same size that fits without modifying, but would be willing to do so. Here is one thing I am confused about; are my door speakers subwoofers or not, since I have a subwoofer in the rear deck? Do I replace those door speakers in the doors with two-way speakers or pure woofers? Maybe I do not know the difference between woofers and sub-woofers.
5. Can I find an amplifier that will fit exactly where the OEM Bose amp is located in the front trunk? How do I know if it needs to be a 4 channel or something else? Many people have two amps. Is that really necessary?
6. I would prefer not to have to run new wires. Is that possible, do I need adapters to make this work?
7. What are people replacing all those speakers in the rear deck with? I found one post in a DIY forum about a guy replacing the two woofers with Kickers, and another with Focals and not being happy.
8. I would like to purchase a new head unit, amp, dash speakers, door speakers, and rear speakers, and install them without too much messing with wiring.

Does this explain what I am looking for? I apologize if I have not been clear enough. Thanks for everyone's help.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 10-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Infinity calls them subs; I call them mid-range, hence the quotation marks
Good luck.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
A few little bits:

The Bose/MOST system is all or nothing. If you want to improve the sound in your car and modernize the system, rip it all out and start over. Period.

You can get really good sound with a single din head unit and quality speakers if you carefully match all components. Mix-N-match often sounds like poo.

If you don't run a sub you don't need a separate amp. (wrong car for a sub IMO)

My personal choice would be a nice Alpine or Kenwood 40x4ch head and Boston separates speakers or equivalent in the doors and dash. These are very personal choices and no two people have the same ears so choose what pleases you. $600-$1000 all in. A professional install by a well known and referred dealer in your area will relieve you of a lot of angst over wiring and mounting your system.

Good luck!

Last edited by Topless; 10-20-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker986 View Post
1. I am trying to decide between a single DIN and double DIN
This is a matter of preference.
Quote:
2. Would like bluetooth, iPod connectivity, HD radio, but not interested in Navigation (have iPhone for that). Besides, the navigation in my BMW stinks.
If you're not looking for Nav or DVD playback, I think you don't need double din
Quote:
3. Willing to modify OEM brackets in dash to get good speakers to fit.
4. Would prefer to replace OEM Bose speakers in doors with same size that fits without modifying, but would be willing to do so. Here is one thing I am confused about; are my door speakers subwoofers or not, since I have a subwoofer in the rear deck? Do I replace those door speakers in the doors with two-way speakers or pure woofers? Maybe I do not know the difference between woofers and sub-woofers.
Get a 3 way component speaker set with 5.25" mid-bass, 4" mid-range, and a 0.75 tweeter, for dash and doors (example, the Focal 130KR). Get 2 5.25" subs like the Focal 13KS to replace the subs on the back box, and disconnect the back tweeters.
Quote:
5. Can I find an amplifier that will fit exactly where the OEM Bose amp is located in the front trunk? How do I know if it needs to be a 4 channel or something else? Many people have two amps. Is that really necessary?
You have to power tweets and mids left and right(2 channel), mid bass(2 channel) and sub box (1 channel). The Bose amp has 6 channels (the last one is for the sub box tweeters). The head unit has internal 4 channel amp, you can use some of its channels if you don't want to buy a 5 or 6 channel amp, but you'd have to connect the speakers direcly to the head unit. There are a lot of reasons different reasons why some people have several amps, but the only relevant to your problem would be that it's cheaper to buy a 2 channel amp and a 4 channel amp, than a 6 channel amp.
Quote:
6. I would prefer not to have to run new wires. Is that possible, do I need adapters to make this work?
You will have to run new wires from the head unit to the amp. That's the bare minimum, I think.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #13

My 04 Box had the same Bose setup as yours. Your door speakers are not subwoofers, but are bass only (just slightly higher frequency than the subwoofer behind you). If you want to continue to use them as that, they actually sound pretty fantastic. But you will need to plan around that. That's what I did. If you try to run full frequencies through them they will sound horrible.

Dash speakers suck and you definitely need to replace those. I chose Boston Acoustics, but there are plenty of choices.

The drivers in the subwoofer enclosure were replaced by Focal's before I bought the car, so I cannot comment on the comparison there, or even what the originals sounded like.

The key to much of this is the amplifier. I used a 5 channel amp which has frequency control for each channel. I don't remember the cutoff frequencies off-hand, but the dash speakers get midrange and high, the doors get mid-bass, and the sub gets the low bass. Takes some fiddling to get happy with the frequencies and gain settings for each that satisfies your tastes.

Any good head unit with the features you want and 3 sets of preamp outputs will do fine (assuming you go with a 5 channel amp). Don't expect your FM reception to improve unless you want to figure out a way to put a standard antenna on the car.

There are lots of ways to do this depending on your tastes and goals - this was just how I did it.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #14

demick, urban, and Topless - Thank you for the great info. Here is where I am now. Do you think I am headed in the right direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
The Bose/MOST system is all or nothing. If you want to improve the sound in your car and modernize the system, rip it all out and start over. Period.
Okay, it is all in for me.

Quote:
You can get really good sound with a single din head unit and quality speakers if you carefully match all components. Mix-N-match often sounds like poo.
Here's what I am thinking, mostly urban's recommendation:
- One pair of Focal KR130, tweeters in dash and mid's in door
- Focal Solid 4 Amp for these speakers
- Focal Solid 2 Amp for the Woofers to be installed in rear speaker shelf
- Not sure which 5" woofers to get, because I can't find Focal 13KS, which appear to have been replaced by Focal 13KW. The KWs are $499 each and that is too much for my budget. I was trying not to mix-n-match, which is why I was looking for 5" Focals, but would consider something else.
- Still on the fence about the head unit. If it is single DIN, then likely Kenwood Excelon KDC X997. If it is a double DIN, maybe Kenwood unit or Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. Not interested in Nav, and do not want to pay over $500 for a head unit, because I know I would have another $200 just in face plates and brackets.

Quote:
A professional install by a well known and referred dealer in your area will relieve you of a lot of angst over wiring and mounting your system.
Good luck!
You are probably right, but I do enjoy the satisfaction of DIY, and saving a few bucks.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick View Post
My 04 Box had the same Bose setup as yours. Your door speakers are not subwoofers, but are bass only (just slightly higher frequency than the subwoofer behind you).

Dash speakers suck and you definitely need to replace those. I chose Boston Acoustics, but there are plenty of choices.
Can you tell me which model of Boston Acoustics you selected to replace the dash speakers?

Quote:
The key to much of this is the amplifier. I used a 5 channel amp which has frequency control for each channel. I don't remember the cutoff frequencies off-hand, but the dash speakers get midrange and high, the doors get mid-bass, and the sub gets the low bass. Takes some fiddling to get happy with the frequencies and gain settings for each that satisfies your tastes.
Can you tell me which 5-channel amp you purchased, also which head unit?

Quote:
There are lots of ways to do this depending on your tastes and goals - this was just how I did it.
Nice to find someone that has the same Bose setup as mine. Spent a fair amount of time looking at car audio at ABT in Chicago this weekend.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 10-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #16

If you have an iphone, have a look at the Pioneer appradio units. You can use the phones hardware and apps to display navigation on the headunit as well as all manner of other music, OBD etc apps.

Pioneer AppRadio 3 - YouTube
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
If you have an iphone, have a look at the Pioneer appradio units. You can use the phones hardware and apps to display navigation on the headunit as well as all manner of other music, OBD etc apps.

Pioneer AppRadio 3 - YouTube
I have been researching the Pioneer AppRadio, but after reading the reviews on Crutchfield I am a little apprehensive. There are 25 reveiws of the SPH-DA210 and only 36% rated it a 5 out of 5, and 32% rated it a 4 out of 5, leaving 32% that rated it 3 or worse. In my mind a 3 or worse means you do not like it.

I have also been researching the double DIN unit you have, 940BT. Of course, I would have to purchase a used or refurbished model.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Old 10-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Can you tell me which model of Boston Acoustics you selected to replace the dash speakers?
I'm pretty sure it was RC420. Out of production for several years, it was a 4" component set. Now that I think of it, 4" component speaker sets aren't very common - so there aren't many choices.

Quote:
Can you tell me which 5-channel amp you purchased, also which head unit?
For the amplifier, I wanted it to fit in the stock location behind the spare. I researched and came up with 3 options:
Alpine PDX-5
Infiinty Kappa Five
Blaupunkt THA 555 PNP
I went with the Blaupunkt. Also several years out of production now. I'm not sure which of the others might still be available. Installed pic's below.

The head unit is a Alpine IDA-X001.

Quote:
Nice to find someone that has the same Bose setup as mine. Spent a fair amount of time looking at car audio at ABT in Chicago this weekend.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #19

I decided I should go listen to speakers yesterday, as several members have recommended. I searched the web for the best rated car stereo shops in Cincy. The first place only had Focal speakers and the guy never offered to let me listen to any speakers, and had to go to the computer to figure out what could be installed in my car.

The second place had a huge set up of mostly JL Audio and Alpine, but no one was there on Saturdays to talk audio, only window tinting. When I asked to listen to the speakers they said their circuit board was blown and nothing worked.

Needless to say, my quest was a wasted trip.

I had decided to put in a single DIN, a Pioneer DEH-80PRS. While I love the looks of the double DINs, I want to try to keep the cost under $1,500, and keep the car stock looking.

My next quest is to find the best 4" speakers I can find. I have been trying to find what others have installed like, MB Quartz PVI-210, Boston Acoustics, or JL Audio. But, either I am not searching correctly, or they have been discontinued. I have a feeling that component speakers are the way to go over coaxial speakers for quality sound. Seems like Focal K2 100KRS at $650 is the most likely choice, although, I have read reports that those sound quite bright, especially bouncing off the windshield.

I am thinking I should spend the majority of my budget on the dash speakers and an amp. May keep existing door speakers, and probably will not have enough funds to replace any of the speakers in the Bose rear speakers boxes.

Are there any other considerations for 4" component speakers?

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black

Last edited by Parker986; 11-03-2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #20

Quote:
I have been researching the Pioneer AppRadio, but after reading the reviews on Crutchfield I am a little apprehensive. There are 25 reveiws of the SPH-DA210 and only 36% rated it a 5 out of 5, and 32% rated it a 4 out of 5, leaving 32% that rated it 3 or worse. In my mind a 3 or worse means you do not like it.

I have also been researching the double DIN unit you have, 940BT. Of course, I would have to purchase a used or refurbished model.

Some people love the Appradio units. Compared to a modern smartphone or tablet, a lot of people find the interfaces on double dins lacking. When you get your head around this, the appradio's are pretty impressive and get better with each new model You need to try a few unit and see what suits you best, no unit will suit everyone as we all want different features.

I have had my Pioneer 940bt in my car for 18 months, this has been replaced by 850 and 950bt. My unit was more expensive but then I have all the benefits of a standalone navigation unit plus an appradio unit.