View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Parker986

Urban,
Thanks so much for replying and sending the link on replacing a 2003 Boxster with Bose.

Here are the reasons I want to replace the system:
1 - Sound quality is awful IMO. I would rather hear clean speakers than loud speakers.
2 - I would like to be able to connect an iPod and it would be helpful to have Bluetooth.
3 - I am torn between wanting an updated look with a double din and keeping the Boxster as close to stock looking as possible. The double din would have all the bells and whistles, but lots of work. I installed a Dension iPod connection and replaced all OEM Logic 7 speakers in my BMW 550, what a PITA.

I assumed I would have to modify and bracket/housing to replace the in-dash speakers, which I am fine doing.

I just do not understand the whole MOST fiber thing and how and if it effects what equipment I install. To me, it would be optimal to be able to use all existing wires and not have to run anything new.

My plan would be to install a new head unit and speakers at the same time. Just not sure if I need an amp too.

Since I am having the LN IMS bearing installed, new water pump, likely new clutch and maybe flywheel, and all new tires, I was hoping that this project wasn't going to cost me $2,500. A replacement kit from that commonly recommended stereo place in CA is $2,500. Ugh

I was hoping forum members owners of '03-'04 986 Boxsters that replaced their Bose / MOST system would share their experiences and specific details on what and how they replaced. I understand there were far more '00-'02 986 models produced, which is why stereo replacement info is more available.

'03 Boxster S Lapis Blue
'06 BMW 550i Jet Black
Parker986 is offline   Reply With Quote