Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #221

if you dont show us pictures of your tits than yes it is a very good place to hang out

very happy for you haz. but your story make me very nervous when I drive my boxster now. one little noise and I start thinking of you

I hope your boxster will completely rust before the engine die. like someone already said you deserve it. now go have fun

TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #222
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKART View Post
if you dont show us pictures of your tits than yes it is a very good place to hang out

very happy for you haz. but your story make me very nervous when I drive my boxster now. one little noise and I start thinking of you

I hope your boxster will completely rust before the engine die. like someone already said you deserve it. now go have fun
He he.. Thanks TAKART

Have you gotten a quote for upgrading you IMS bearing at an indy or your nearest Porsche Center? Itīs easy for me to say this now, but upgrading the bearing is obviously an investment.
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #223

haz where I live nobody is doing ims work on porsche. I found out I have double row bearing in my boxster and the car is more then 130,000 so I feel better about that

haz I buy the boxster at the same price you change your ims bearing so in my case it dont make sense to change. I am changing the front bumper and headlights soon. brake pads and new tires already buy and then I stop spending on this car
Old 09-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #224

Now doesn't that give a different slant on fitting an IMS retrofit....

According to TAKART in Lyon, the French Boxsters costs less to buy used than the cost of IMS bearing installation in Norway.....

In the UK (according to my latest 911 Porsche magazine) you can pick up an early Boxster for less than $4000 which is nearly the cost of a LN IMS bearing + clutch installation.
So why would you bother......
Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #225
haz

No matter what country, pricing any Boxster at $4k makes me frightened at what condition that car is in.. And yeah, I wouldnīt bother with the IMS upgrade eiter
Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #226
recycledsixtie

Garage
I could not imagine what condition a $4000 Boxster would be in. It would likely need many $$$$$ to get it into reasonable shape. I know even used Boxsters take a hit in depreciation but a decent one should fetch way more than that. As an aside I notice where I live there are lots of used Boxsters for sale and are not selling and that is likely due to the time of year. Here most Boxsters are stored for the winter so there is not much demand right now. On the other hand there are few used Caymans for sale.

This is a good time to find and buy a used Boxster.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #227
haz

Proof positive that all is good in my Porscheworld

Out cruising on twisty roads in great fall weather with a fellow 986 forum member from Oslo this morning:

Old 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
No matter what country, pricing any Boxster at $4k makes me frightened at what condition that car is in.. And yeah, I wouldnīt bother with the IMS upgrade eiter
my car was damage by a front colision in a truck rear. needed to replace the front bumper and left headlight and i am sure some small bend somewhere in the frame that is why i got the boxster for very good price. in france boxster 2.5 is $6000-$8000 with 100,000km with medium condition. anyway at this price i still dont know if good idea to change the ims
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #229

I've already bought 2 1998 Boxsters in the last couple of years. Both were 2 owner cars and each had about 117k miles at time of purchase. i paid $4,800 for the first and $5,400 for the latest one. No big issues with either car. Both had clear titles.

They're out there!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #230
haz

Suprising!

I guess we can shut down this thread for now. Unless anyone have any more questions.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #231

Love the pic, nothing more fun than driving a Boxster!

Great chronicle haz, lots of great info.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #232
haz

He he.... good to know that these 11 pages aren't just 11 pages of "nag nag nag.. oh so many $$$ ..... poor me.... " etc...

Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #233
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
He he.... good to know that these 11 pages aren't just 11 pages of "nag nag nag.. oh so many $$$ ..... poor me.... " etc...

If it was me I would have been bleeting like a sheep. This kind of thread did make me phone the lawyers re the Porsche Ims settlement. They got back to me within 24 hours and said my 2001 Boxster base was class but was put into service more than 10 years ago so no eligibility for past or future claim.

So I will soldier on with my IMS Guardian until next spring and look at a Cayman.
I don't want to spring for the 2009 or later as it is too much money(I am going back on my word!). Probably will be one with the ims still around 2007. Of course there is still the chance of ims failure but less so than my 2001. However the ims failure is one of many kinds of failures that the 986/987 can have but you know what - life is for living and you make the best of it. I could not imagine buying a new one or close to new and putting out that kind of cash. At my stage of life it is worth the price of admission to get used. I have driven other cars lately, Lexus, Mazda etc but none give me the buzz that the Box does...

Yes Haz you have made the best out of a bad situation. I don't think I would have done anything differently from what you did.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #234
haz

Wow! Didn't realize I had made such impact on some people here. Only glad I could help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
If it was me I would have been bleeting like a sheep. This kind of thread did make me phone the lawyers re the Porsche Ims settlement. They got back to me within 24 hours and said my 2001 Boxster base was class but was put into service more than 10 years ago so no eligibility for past or future claim.

So I will soldier on with my IMS Guardian until next spring and look at a Cayman.
I don't want to spring for the 2009 or later as it is too much money(I am going back on my word!). Probably will be one with the ims still around 2007. Of course there is still the chance of ims failure but less so than my 2001. However the ims failure is one of many kinds of failures that the 986/987 can have but you know what - life is for living and you make the best of it. I could not imagine buying a new one or close to new and putting out that kind of cash. At my stage of life it is worth the price of admission to get used. I have driven other cars lately, Lexus, Mazda etc but none give me the buzz that the Box does...

Yes Haz you have made the best out of a bad situation. I don't think I would have done anything differently from what you did.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #235
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Proof positive that all is good in my Porscheworld

Out cruising on twisty roads in great fall weather with a fellow 986 forum member from Oslo this morning:

Wish I could have joined you for the drive Haz. Even though I'm in Norway my Boxster isn't. I'll try to drop you a note sometime when I'm headed to Oslo.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #236
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Wish I could have joined you for the drive Haz. Even though I'm in Norway my Boxster isn't. I'll try to drop you a note sometime when I'm headed to Oslo.
Please do
My number is 93260060
Henrik
Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #237

Garage
Quote:
Wow! Didn't realize I had made such impact on some people here. Only glad I could help out.
I think you had a great approach to your problem, kept your cool very well including dealing with undeserved comments from some of the "contributers", & I hope you continue to enjoy your Boxster.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote