Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
AJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
Questions from a Prospective 986 S owner

Hi guys,

A prospective Boxster owner here. I have been looking at a few cars and have settled on a 2004 986 S single owner with very low miles (under 6000!). The owner has all service records going back to 2004. Servicing and oil changes every year at the same dealer. A leak was fixed by the dealer a few years ago. The car has always been garaged and looks like new.I intend to run a carfax tomorrow just for sanity sakes.

The car has a new battery but tires are the original ones from 2004, so I intend to get new ones. The owner has been very kind and given detailed responses to all my queries. He prefers the PPI to be done at a Porsche dealership. We haven't settled on the dealer yet - but I don't mind going to his dealer as I have read pretty good reviews on them on various forums.

I have spent about dozens of hours reading up here and few other forums but still feel like I'm clueless about the buying process. I still have more reading to do and will continue my efforts. Can you guys please give me your input on the following based on your experience owning Boxsters? Also please do add your thoughts if I have missed something.

1.) I have read both opinions for and against going to the car owners dealer. Based on the few posts I have read my impression has been that the dealer would not be too biased as I'm a prospective client. I did my due diligence about the dealer for what its worth and find they have pretty favorable reviews on some of these forums. Anyone have any arguments against my conclusion? I would love to be hear them.

2.) I have put together a list of things I need the PPI to cover. I have read a few very good blogs (Mike Focke's and Randall's) and posts on the forums about check lists, but haven't really digested the whole information yet. My confusion is relating to different flavors of PPI. Is there something I need to be very specific about when I request a PPI to the dealer - I mean is it a la carte where I pick out a dozen things out of list of hundred? (I remember Randall's blog recommending a "4-wheel, laser alignment"). Or is the PPI an industry standard process of 20 or however many things which would be checked. I realize this has been answered before and I have read some of the answers which I haven't quite comprehended yet. I would appreciate if someone were to be kind to dumb this down for a dense guy like me.

3.) I have decided against buying a warranty. Based on the PPI recommendations if I decide the car is worth buying, I will get all the recommended issues fixed up front. Also I'm willing to take the risk of a blown engine if it comes to it. Anyone wanna play devil's advocate on this? Am I being too simplistic?

4.) Any checklists for when I go see the car in person? Are there any particular things I need to look at?

5.) Any preventive things I need to budget on as its a very low miles car? I have been thinking about the IMS bearing replacement. I haven't decided on it yet. Your thought will be appreciated.


Thanks in advance to everyone who reading this. I really appreciate your time and patience on providing me inputs.

I intend to own a Boxster soon if not this I will find a different one.

Cheers,
AJR

AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,669
Here are my thoughts;

1. If you feel comfortable with the dealer, then go for it. The argument against it is that the same dealer is might be unlikely (unwilling?) to find an issue that they previously missed (or worse, caused).

2. A good shop shouldn't need help in determining what to check in the PPI. They should have an existing very thorough list. Let them do their job and when they walk through the results with you feel free to ask about anything specific that they may not have covered.

3. I agree. Others may not. They will jump in.

4. PM me your email address and I will send you my personal PPI checklist.

5. IMS is up to you. Do your research. Budget $2K per year for repairs/maint and you won't be surprised.

Good luck and hopefully you'll find a great car at a great price. You will love owning a Boxster!
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
AJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here are my thoughts;

1. If you feel comfortable with the dealer, then go for it. The argument against it is that the same dealer is might be unlikely (unwilling?) to find an issue that they previously missed (or worse, caused).

2. A good shop shouldn't need help in determining what to check in the PPI. They should have an existing very thorough list. Let them do their job and when they walk through the results with you feel free to ask about anything specific that they may not have covered.

3. I agree. Others may not. They will jump in.

4. PM me your email address and I will send you my personal PPI checklist.

5. IMS is up to you. Do your research. Budget $2K per year for repairs/maint and you won't be surprised.

Good luck and hopefully you'll find a great car at a great price. You will love owning a Boxster!
Thank you so much for your response. I'll PM you my email id shortly. I'm really excited about buying a Boxster. A lot of credit for my excitement and passion for the car is also down to the community of users like you who are so supportive and helpful.

Thanks again!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,243
You're making a great choice in model year and getting an S with low mileage on it.

I shall live vicariously through you, AJ. Post pics HERE on the day of delivery!!!!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
AJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
Thanks Randall! I will be sure to do so. I look forward to being a part of this great forum.
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Registered User
 
jb92563's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,665
You forgot to mention PRICE.

We will be able to tell whether your paying the right amount.

A very ballpark figure should be around $20k or less depending on options.

Really Low mileage is a mixed blessing, especially if the region you are buying from is moist and/or corossive. You can read lots about that in the forums.

Thats only 600 miles a year or perhaps 50 miles a month.

This is where a good PPI is important as the engine internals do not like to sit without getting a good coating of oil periodically, else internal corrosion could cause abrasive and corossive action from within. The IMS bearing and other seals need close scrutiny and perhaps even a compression leak down test would be prudent.

After its all said and done though, dont fret and enjoy the heck out of it after you've pulled the trigger.

I highly recommend a Porsche Performance Driving School.
Its loads of fun, you'll make new friends, really learn how to wring out some performance and keep yourself out of trouble.
__________________
"It broke because it wants to be Upgraded "
2012 Porsche Performance Driving School - SanDiego region
2001 Boxster S, Top Speed muffler, (Fred's) Mini Morimotto Projectors, Tarret UDP,
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
AJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
You forgot to mention PRICE.

We will be able to tell whether your paying the right amount.

A very ballpark figure should be around $20k or less depending on options.

Really Low mileage is a mixed blessing, especially if the region you are buying from is moist and/or corossive. You can read lots about that in the forums.

Thats only 600 miles a year or perhaps 50 miles a month.

This is where a good PPI is important as the engine internals do not like to sit without getting a good coating of oil periodically, else internal corrosion could cause abrasive and corossive action from within. The IMS bearing and other seals need close scrutiny and perhaps even a compression leak down test would be prudent.

After its all said and done though, dont fret and enjoy the heck out of it after you've pulled the trigger.

I highly recommend a Porsche Performance Driving School.
Its loads of fun, you'll make new friends, really learn how to wring out some performance and keep yourself out of trouble.
Thanks Ray. The car is in Seattle region and is being offered for 26,000. The following are options as far as I gather
  • Carrera White with Black leather Interior
  • Black Convertible Top
  • 6-Speed Manual Trans
  • Automatic Air Conditioning
  • Self Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
  • Power Seat Package
  • Xenon Headlamp Package
  • Chrome Exhaust Pipe
  • Heated Front Seats
  • 18 Lt Alloy Carrera Wheel
  • Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
  • Cruise Control
  • HI-FI Sound (Digital)
  • Porsche Windstop (Deflector)
  • On Board Computer
  • Black Mats Porsche Lettering
  • Alum/Lthr Shifter/Brake Handle

The owner has been very detailed in answering questions and has all records for annual service. It's priced about 4K under the KBB Private Party value; 3k above NADA price and 4K above Edmund's price. Based on my months of research this sounded like a reasonable price. Most 2004 or earlier cars around here with 40 to 70K miles having asking for 20 to 25k. Based on that the car seemed decently priced to me. I have another 2K to 3K I'm willing to pay to get new tires and any other things which come up in the PPI. If it goes beyond this, I will pass on this opportunity and keep looking for the next one. Please do add you thoughts on this.

One thing which I just can't make my mind up on is whether ultra-low mileage is a liability or an asset. Based on a multitude of posts I have read my analytical side of the brain says its a liability. But the emotional side tells me its an asset. Any more discussion/comments on this will be appreciated. The compression leak down test goes on my list of things to get done, thanks!

I will not have any regrets come what may - I promise I'm going to enjoy the car for as long as it lasts - 10 days, 10 months or 10 years. :>) I have the driving school on my list of things to do.

Thanks again. All your input is invaluable to me - even if it is contrary to my perception and conclusions.
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Steve Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,522
Even if the car has only 6,000 miles on the odo, the original owner has done the right thing by having the oil changed every year. So in reality the engine internals have not been "sitting" in contaminated oil full of carbon and acids.... The engine is barely broken in at this mileage - I'm willing to bet that the bores still have hone marks and the compression test will be as new....

It would be interesting to find out if the owner had an extended Porsche warranty after the original warranty ran out - that would also be a good sign.

Whatever the outcome, you will be driving a near new car. It probably wants nothing more than a good long open road run to clear out all the carbon & soot - just make sure you keep up the maintenance regime as per the book (or preferably better) and I think you will enjoy your car for many years.
__________________
2001 Boxster S (triple black). Sleeping easier with LN Engineering/Flat 6 IMS upgrade, low temp thermostat & underspeed pulley.
2001 MV Agusta F4.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 07-25-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
AJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Even if the car has only 6,000 miles on the odo, the original owner has done the right thing by having the oil changed every year. So in reality the engine internals have not been "sitting" in contaminated oil full of carbon and acids.... The engine is barely broken in at this mileage - I'm willing to bet that the bores still have hone marks and the compression test will be as new....

It would be interesting to find out if the owner had an extended Porsche warranty after the original warranty ran out - that would also be a good sign.

Whatever the outcome, you will be driving a near new car. It probably wants nothing more than a good long open road run to clear out all the carbon & soot - just make sure you keep up the maintenance regime as per the book (or preferably better) and I think you will enjoy your car for many years.
Thanks Steve! I can't wait to close the deal and take her on a road trip this September. I will publish the PPI results here once I get them for opinions from all the experts. I will ask the owner about the extended warranty and I do intend to take good care of her. She will be the most valuable thing in my young life.
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
AJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
Guys, thanks for all the support you have provided this past week. I have for the time being decided not to buy the Boxster for financial reasons. I had to change my priorities as something else has come up.

Tom, Ray, Randall and PerfectLap - you guys are very kind. I was overwhelmed by all the support and help you have provided. I hope to be back looking for a Boxster soon in the future. You guys keep the engines revving in the meanwhile.
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,709
Very sensible. The best time to get a good price on a mass produced Porsche will always be next year. The number of Boxsters, Caymans and Carreras for sale is reaching racoon like ubiquity
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
AJR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
Thanks Perfect. You are too kind.
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,243
Raccoon like ubiquity?

are there a lot of raccoons in NJ?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Raccoon like ubiquity?

are there a lot of raccoons in NJ?
Dude racoons are EVERYWHERE. They're in the country, they're in the suburbs, they're in the middle of the city. In North East cold weather or in steamy hot Florida weather, doesn't matter they quickly adapt and multiply. Basically wherever someone has left trash out for the night they are usually within a block hiding out during the day waiting for the Sun to come down. The interesting thing is that they move in packs and rarely venture more than a few blocks away from their gang's turf.
They are a big threat to domestic dogs as racoon feces have toxic matter that get airborne if its not removed safely.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #15
Registered User
 
chipmunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 84
Garage
Sounds very much like our fox problem in the UK ...
__________________
2003 Boxster S
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 598
And Chipmunk, I would think that you should be an expert on problems with foxes!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
Registered User
 
chipmunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 84
Garage
... never thought of it that way Brad, but you make a good point

__________________
2003 Boxster S
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
ppi , pre purchase inspection


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2023 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page