View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
AJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
You forgot to mention PRICE.

We will be able to tell whether your paying the right amount.

A very ballpark figure should be around $20k or less depending on options.

Really Low mileage is a mixed blessing, especially if the region you are buying from is moist and/or corossive. You can read lots about that in the forums.

Thats only 600 miles a year or perhaps 50 miles a month.

This is where a good PPI is important as the engine internals do not like to sit without getting a good coating of oil periodically, else internal corrosion could cause abrasive and corossive action from within. The IMS bearing and other seals need close scrutiny and perhaps even a compression leak down test would be prudent.

After its all said and done though, dont fret and enjoy the heck out of it after you've pulled the trigger.

I highly recommend a Porsche Performance Driving School.
Its loads of fun, you'll make new friends, really learn how to wring out some performance and keep yourself out of trouble.
Thanks Ray. The car is in Seattle region and is being offered for 26,000. The following are options as far as I gather
  • Carrera White with Black leather Interior
  • Black Convertible Top
  • 6-Speed Manual Trans
  • Automatic Air Conditioning
  • Self Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
  • Power Seat Package
  • Xenon Headlamp Package
  • Chrome Exhaust Pipe
  • Heated Front Seats
  • 18” Lt Alloy Carrera Wheel
  • Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
  • Cruise Control
  • HI-FI Sound (Digital)
  • Porsche Windstop (Deflector)
  • On Board Computer
  • Black Mats – Porsche Lettering
  • Alum/Lthr Shifter/Brake Handle

The owner has been very detailed in answering questions and has all records for annual service. It's priced about 4K under the KBB Private Party value; 3k above NADA price and 4K above Edmund's price. Based on my months of research this sounded like a reasonable price. Most 2004 or earlier cars around here with 40 to 70K miles having asking for 20 to 25k. Based on that the car seemed decently priced to me. I have another 2K to 3K I'm willing to pay to get new tires and any other things which come up in the PPI. If it goes beyond this, I will pass on this opportunity and keep looking for the next one. Please do add you thoughts on this.

One thing which I just can't make my mind up on is whether ultra-low mileage is a liability or an asset. Based on a multitude of posts I have read my analytical side of the brain says its a liability. But the emotional side tells me its an asset. Any more discussion/comments on this will be appreciated. The compression leak down test goes on my list of things to get done, thanks!

I will not have any regrets come what may - I promise I'm going to enjoy the car for as long as it lasts - 10 days, 10 months or 10 years. :>) I have the driving school on my list of things to do.

Thanks again. All your input is invaluable to me - even if it is contrary to my perception and conclusions.
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote