Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by underDAWG
Are you being funny or sarcastic? It is a fine line, you know?

cheers.......

Well, the emoticon was intended to signify that I was joshing, obviously I don't use a chock to park my car. I was attempting to lighten the mood on this topic, as it was going down hill quickly.

Now, as for your post to Jim, I say you are on the edge of being out of line.

My request is that you tone it down a bit so that we can get back to the not-so-serious business of obsessing about our Boxsters.

Jim, c'mon back and contribute, you are always welcome!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #42

Just as I thought, DEF-CON 2.

Bruce, you were kidding about that chock thing? I just went out and bought a set!

j/k
Old 01-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #43

Testosterone fueled shop talk!! Yeah baby! I feel like I'm back in my dad's old shop.

What I like about this forum is all the info that comes out of these exchanges. And opposing views are pretty cool because there is always merit in both viewpoints.

But with my dad, it was his way or the highway. Damn jarhead was usually right, too. Man, I miss him.

Hey rbennet , I think the Pat's are going to do it again. The "Brady and Belichek dynasty". Hmmm, Senator Tom Brady?? President Tom Brady?!!? At least we all agree that the EAST COAST RULES!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #44

Doah!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz-z Z
Just as I thought, DEF-CON 2.

Bruce, you were kidding about that chock thing? I just went out and bought a set!

j/k

Old 01-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #45

Go Pats!

I want Flutie to drop kick another point, perhaps a FG?

Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #46

Yeah that Flutie kick was amazing. That'll keep him in the record books for years to come.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #47

Thats why they call them "The Braaaddddy buuunch, The Brady bunch"

I have alway been a big fan of Flutie since the "Hail Mary" at Boston, seems that how I live my life now

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #48

The Pats and Red Sox have spoiled us long suffering Boston fans these last few years.

We had mid 45 temps today and tomorrow we may hit 50. Snow is melting. Global warming is cool.

Hey MNBoxster, I talked to someone from Minn. today and she said this winter has been real mild out there. I thought Minn. winters were supposed to be the worst?

Back to topic: I always let the engine warm up good before getting on it hard. All mating surfaces hot and expanded so we have good seals. Don't want any blown gaskets.

Off topic: Harley partnered with Porsche in developing their V Rod motor. It was their first production water cooled V twin motor. They must have figured that Porsche had experience with transitioning from air cooled technology to water cooling.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #49

I know this is off topic... but......isn't this thread all off topic?????

Me and my son are going to Fenway in May to watch the Reds and Yanks play

All he wants to do is touch the "big green wall" and watch the game, big Reds fan and oohh yaa, the Boston pubs, he's over 21.

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:56 AM   #50

More Engine Warm Up Talk

A Sox vs Yankees game is memorable because of the rivalry and intensity of the fans. You and your son will enjoy it. Just don't wear any Yankee's stuff. Especially if you're sitting in the bleachers.

The Globe ran some key stats on today's quarterback matchup;

Wheels
Tom Brady: Porsche Cayenne
Jake Plummer: Honda Element

Girlfriend
Brady: Actress- Bridget Moynihan
Plummer: Broncos cheerleader - Kollette Klassen

Contract
Brady: 6 years $60 million
Plummer: 7 years $40.7 million
Old 01-14-2006, 05:08 AM   #51

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #52

Proper warm up procedure

I have asked the question many times to the dealer and professionals. Why does Porsche state in the owners manual the procedure it does? I posted the question on another forum and these are some of the answers the were posted. I agree with all of them, but it comes down to reducing emissions. I personally start, idle until seat belt is on, radio dialed and I am ready to go. Then take off keeping below 4K rpm and not lugging engine until it reaches operating temp.........

The following are replies to my question.........

So I checked three manuals, and they all stated, "drive off", unless it was freezing weather. If its freezing, idle maybe 30 seconds, then go. Advice for Fairbanks, Alaska, in winter might be different.

So the answer to your question, finally, is that with really good multi-weight oils and computer controlled fuel injection, there is no good reason for any idle longer than 30 seconds, max, under lower 48 conditions. The computer will keep your engine running, and the multi-weight oil will lubricate it at relatively low temperatures.

Driving it warms it up faster than "warming" it up.

I believe there are two reasons for this. First, modern oils and lubricants are much better than they used to be and idling to warm the engine oil is mostly a waste of gasoline. Second, you're warming up the transmission and the rest of the drive train, not just the engine. If you idle until the engine is warmed and go screaming off you've still got expanding metals and fluids in the transmission that are still cold and will endure much more wear than if you gave them a few minutes to warm up as well.

There is also another reason. In Germany it is illeagal to start and warm up any car, in fact if you are stopped for long periods of time, say at a long train crossing, you are required to shut off your car.
Porsche is pressured by the German government to comply, although I do believe that under normal circumstances, staring the engine and after 30 secounds driving slowly until the engine reaches operating tempreture is the best way to warm up the engine.

20+ years ago when I started in the buisness it was explained to me that with a standard transmission its better to warm them up evenly. When you idle cold the transmission oil doesn't warm up causing bearing damage. I've always fired up and rolled because I'm usually late, lol. Either way I've never had a problem although it is better for emissions not to idle.

the most pollution is created by a cold engine at idle. The catalysts aren't up to temp when the engine is first started, and the computer is still in cold start mode. Driving off raises the rpm's, and exhaust temp & therefore the catylitic converters light off and go to work much faster.

The rationale behind Porsche's (and every other marque) recommendation of moderate driving of a cold car over a static idle warm up is strictly emissions related. The other reasons mentioned may be perfectly true, but the reason Porsche recommends "no warmup" is to satisify EPA and TUV polution policy requirements

Driving the car warms the engine up fast minimizing wear. Most wear occurs at start-up while it comes up to temperature and at idle.

carjeda is offline   Reply With Quote