View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #52
carjeda

Proper warm up procedure

I have asked the question many times to the dealer and professionals. Why does Porsche state in the owners manual the procedure it does? I posted the question on another forum and these are some of the answers the were posted. I agree with all of them, but it comes down to reducing emissions. I personally start, idle until seat belt is on, radio dialed and I am ready to go. Then take off keeping below 4K rpm and not lugging engine until it reaches operating temp.........

The following are replies to my question.........

So I checked three manuals, and they all stated, "drive off", unless it was freezing weather. If its freezing, idle maybe 30 seconds, then go. Advice for Fairbanks, Alaska, in winter might be different.

So the answer to your question, finally, is that with really good multi-weight oils and computer controlled fuel injection, there is no good reason for any idle longer than 30 seconds, max, under lower 48 conditions. The computer will keep your engine running, and the multi-weight oil will lubricate it at relatively low temperatures.

Driving it warms it up faster than "warming" it up.

I believe there are two reasons for this. First, modern oils and lubricants are much better than they used to be and idling to warm the engine oil is mostly a waste of gasoline. Second, you're warming up the transmission and the rest of the drive train, not just the engine. If you idle until the engine is warmed and go screaming off you've still got expanding metals and fluids in the transmission that are still cold and will endure much more wear than if you gave them a few minutes to warm up as well.

There is also another reason. In Germany it is illeagal to start and warm up any car, in fact if you are stopped for long periods of time, say at a long train crossing, you are required to shut off your car.
Porsche is pressured by the German government to comply, although I do believe that under normal circumstances, staring the engine and after 30 secounds driving slowly until the engine reaches operating tempreture is the best way to warm up the engine.

20+ years ago when I started in the buisness it was explained to me that with a standard transmission its better to warm them up evenly. When you idle cold the transmission oil doesn't warm up causing bearing damage. I've always fired up and rolled because I'm usually late, lol. Either way I've never had a problem although it is better for emissions not to idle.

the most pollution is created by a cold engine at idle. The catalysts aren't up to temp when the engine is first started, and the computer is still in cold start mode. Driving off raises the rpm's, and exhaust temp & therefore the catylitic converters light off and go to work much faster.

The rationale behind Porsche's (and every other marque) recommendation of moderate driving of a cold car over a static idle warm up is strictly emissions related. The other reasons mentioned may be perfectly true, but the reason Porsche recommends "no warmup" is to satisify EPA and TUV polution policy requirements

Driving the car warms the engine up fast minimizing wear. Most wear occurs at start-up while it comes up to temperature and at idle.
carjeda is offline   Reply With Quote