Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #1

What would you buy??

Which one is more bang for the buck? Plan to keep the car for 1 year or so.

Car A - 2002 Boxster S, 30K miles, babied and garaged --> 19K $$

Car B - 2005 Boxster, 80K miles (Engine changed at 60K miles because of the IMF/RMS issue to a boxster S, replacement engine had 50K miles on it), some cosmetic damages(hail marks on the front) and may need a set of tires --> 15K $$

Which one is a better bang for the buck? Plan to be a daily driver with 8-10K mil/yr.
I have not gotten a PPI on either of them yet. PPI is 300$ -400$ at the dealership trying to decide which one I should go after first.

Any input??

Elixir1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:13 AM   #2

The hail marks/cosmetic damages do not really bother me.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #3

Basically I prefer a well maintained car than a cheaper one for any reasons.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #4

Keep it for only a year?..... haaa...we'll see about that.

If you want to Auto-x and have a Daily Driver I'd go with B since you won't fret about a few extra scuffs, and its nice to have the extra HP.
It also needs a set of tires so you can get some grippier performance tires right away.

Car A is a bit over priced. I bought my 55k 2001 S for 14,500 private. I figure it should be more like 16-17K tops. You may have trouble getting that much money out of it in a couple years.

I'm sure you've read by now that lower miles is not necessarily the best thing on an 11yr old Boxster.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

So the 2005 has 80K miles on the roller with 110K miles on the engine (and that is assuming that one is able to confirm the mileage on the engine at time of installation) plus cosmetic issues. I'd go with the 2002 and attempt to negotiate the pirce down a bit. At the mileage on the 05 you are starting to look at issues with the suspension components, clutch, etc., etc.

I'm assuming, of course, that the 'babied' car with 30K miles has service records? If not, how do we know it was babied? With an average of less than 3000 miles a year, I'd certainly want to know that the oil was changed at least once very 12 months!

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 07-15-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: 2 signatures
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #6

Both cars are from PP owners.

Car A - Starting price was 21K and he is now down to 19K. Owner not ready to budge on the price. He seemed like a guy who has many car and the boxster was his weekend vehicle. Kind of his GF and not his wife ! LOL

Car B - 80K miles total and 50K miles on the replacement engine. Clutch was replaced 6 months ago. records available for the repair. Have to check the other records in detail. He is the second owner - stated car was his mid-life crisis car ! LOL.

Would the past IMF issue but now a S engine on the car make is less insurable? extended warranties?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #7

Garage
I would go with car A.

It may be priced wrong, and you can probably find another similar one priced less, but of the two, that is the one I would favor.

The problem for car B (for me) is while it upgraded the engine to an "S", all the other mechanics are from the base. Doesn't have the 3rd radiator, doesn't have the larger brakes, 5sp vs 6sp tranny... While I don't think any of these things are "end of the world" issues, it is one of those things that I would not like.

If you are not comfortable with the price of car A, keep looking. There are plenty of Boxsters out there, and plenty in the price range you are looking.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #8

Car A. But it's priced a bit too high. Negotiate it down, or keep looking.

/
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #9

hmmm...Apart from autotrader and cars.com how do I find these cars?

Can anyone recommend a porsche dealership in the NE (NYC/NJ area) for a PPI or do independent shops do as good a job?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #10

I dunno... If it's a clean title, I think the 05 is an intriguing prospect. Plus, it leaves some meat on the bone to address issues. If you don't want it, pass over the contact details!! I'd love to make a track car out of it!!

Boxster_S_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #11

Intriguing it is, that's why the dilemma. I agree, the extra dough would definitely help with future repairs etc.

Got the invoice for the engine replacement - when i run the VIN on the replacement engine, it doesn't come on carfax. Does carfax still have reports on disassembled cars??
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #12

My take is different from the ones above...

The 2005 has a glass rear window vs. the plastic on the 2002. You'll always need to get out mid top-drop and "chop" the plastic so it folds right.

I absolutely hate that about my 97 and I am not putting more money into the car beyond worn parts since it's a track vehicle now. But if it were my DD and I was lowering and raising the top with any frequency, this difference would have a significant bearing on my purchase decision.

You may not care however. I just thought I'd mention it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir1305 View Post
Can anyone recommend a porsche dealership in the NE (NYC/NJ area) for a PPI or do independent shops do as good a job?

I wouldn't even consider using a dealer...

/
Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #14

That is a great point Randall. I had not thought of that. Though I must say - the 2002 cars I test drove, the owners did not get out half way to shut it.

I am lazy and will probably not put the top down just for that reason, so 2005 may be a better bet. Lets see.

Any one have any recommendations of Porsche workshops in the Westchester County area? I think the name " Rennwerke Porsche Limited" in Elmsford NY came up. Any input??

Thanks guys
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
soucorp

Garage
no brainer, go with Car A - 2002 Boxster S, 30K miles, babied and garaged --> 19K $$

Get the price down to $18Kcash.

the 05 has too much baggage, you will lose the shirt off your back with that car.
After 1 year, you would have put 20k miles on bringing it to 100k, then you are going to sell it, for how much? I realize there's a newer engine in there with 50k miles but try explaining all of that to the buyer if he hasn't walked away yet. No one with money will buy it with those miles and baggage history. + new tires and cost to repair dents puts it over the top?
just saying... do what you think is best for you but do the cost benefit analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir1305 View Post
Which one is more bang for the buck? Plan to keep the car for 1 year or so.

Car A - 2002 Boxster S, 30K miles, babied and garaged --> 19K $$

Car B - 2005 Boxster, 80K miles (Engine changed at 60K miles because of the IMF/RMS issue to a boxster S, replacement engine had 50K miles on it), some cosmetic damages(hail marks on the front) and may need a set of tires --> 15K $$

Which one is a better bang for the buck? Plan to be a daily driver with 8-10K mil/yr.
I have not gotten a PPI on either of them yet. PPI is 300$ -400$ at the dealership trying to decide which one I should go after first.

Any input??

Last edited by soucorp; 07-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #16

if you go for a 987 go for the 987.2. Otherwise get a good deal a 986 S.

and definitely get a leak down test of the 986 S if you do opt for a garage queen.
Low mileage cars have their own issues. Very expensive ones.

p.s.
Get a second set of wheels with full snow tires if you plan to drive year round. Run them after Turkey day until Spring. All season tires are an adequate compromise in a sedan but for
a sports car of this caliber of handling, it should have summer tires in the summer. Otherwise its like wearing workboots to a black tie wedding. What's the point....
And for safety in winter over ice patches, you should have a proper winter tire. It doesnt take very much of a drifting curb slapper at speed to do a great deal of damage (total loss).
I'm wholly umimpressed with all season tire performance over ice. Snow is marginal, as long as its under 1" of accumulation. Winter tires do both splendidly in this car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-15-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'd by a van and live down by the river!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #18

You'll be in good company particlewave
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #19

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Car A

I had a similar situation

2003 boxster s 38 000 km babbied and cared for by an enthusiast vs a 2005 boxster S with 100 000 km paint scratches, air bag error code and her husband did all the repairs

I chose the lower km car and haven't taken a second look back

car A for sure
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #20

I normally tend to lean towards the newer car. Way more upgrades and features. I love a nice looking 986 but the 987 are very nice. Glass windows are really nice and my 05S doesn't have a center radiator either. Only a opening. But your thinking of selling in a year, I would try to talk A down a bit on the price or just walk on both. I'm just saying maybe a hard sell in a year. What color was it Red?

rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying , maintenence , repairs