Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #1

Worth my time? 98' 986

So I have been the onlooker for years now as members of my close family and friends enjoy Porsche track days in their cars ranging from a 2012 911 turbo, 2011 GT3, 2013 Boxster S, and so on. As much fun as it is to watch and ride, it has been long enough. Now, I am just a humble teacher looking for my first humble Porsche that will last me through grad school and can take a little track day abuse a couple times a year, as well as being a touring car for the gorgeous windy Kentucky back roads.

But enough rambling, here it is. I am looking at a 1998 Boxster with 110k (mileage is what is scaring me the most), but I can buy this car pretty much out right. I have not asked to see maintenance records, nor have I asked about the common MAF and ignition switches, clutch replacement history, or IMS bearings, mostly because I would like to hear from some of you before I waste my time with this guy. Ascetically the car is freakishly clean for a 15 year old vehicle.

Moral of this story... 1998 Boxster with 110k miles, take it or leave it as a touring/periodic track day car? Mainly, is it worth my time getting this information, or is this never a good idea with this old of a 986?

TeacherRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Perfect car for touring and occasional track day use! My 1999 Boxster was the perfect track day car with 126,000 miles when it was rear-ended and totalled.

While there are no guarentees, if the IMS bearing made it to 110K miles, it will probably make it to 120K or 150K. More likely is the standard list of problems - AOS, water pump, brakes, ignition switch, and eventually shocks, etc.

Plan on spending around $2K a year on maintanence and repairs. Learn to do as much of the work as you can yourself and your maintanence/repair budget will go twice as far (or be cut in half).

Take a look at the records (the more records, the better) and be sure to get a good pre-purchase inspection. The PPI is the best $300 you'll ever spend - you'll know exactly what you're getting into.

Best of luck!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

Finding a car with excellent paint and interior is not uncommon with these cars. So don't let that sway you too much. Seems like most high mileage cars I see were enthusiast owned or they weren't. A low to moderate mileage enthusiast owned car is the best. A non-enthusiast owned high mileage or extremely low mileage car is worst.

This car your considering now:
Was there any factory performed engine work?
If so that may be a plus as early Boxsters had some engine issues. But if they weren't the previous owner probably would have dealt with them at this point with that sort of mileage. Either way early Boxster engines not including the IMS (from what I understand to be the case) are the engines Porsche had to address most. Once you toss in IMS related issues, particularly for single row bearing IMS cars, then its not so clear cut. If your 2.5 was not part of the affected engines with cylinder wall or porosity issues then some argue that these are some of the strongest engines put into the Boxster. Knowing which camp your 2.5 falls into is kind of important if you intend to beat on the car at your local track and autocross. A PPI and oil analysis from Blackstone labs will shed light on how much the engine was looked after.

Other things to consider, was the car winter driven? That more often than not will speed up the the need for costly repairs. These are sports cars at the end of the day and subjecting them to beaten up roads and cold starts is not preferable over a car driven regularly in So Cal moderate year round weather.

If you are seriously considering buying a Boxster, are on a budget and you have a laptop/pc or Android smartphone you should buy "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster" from Google Books, no Kindle version. It discusses all the known Boxster issues with estimates for each repair that are pretty spot on. A must own book for both a DIY'er and someone like me who likes keeping his Indy busy.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-28-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #4

i would be more scared of an older car with low mileage than an older car with high mileage.

but of course get a PPI, look over the records, take it for a drive...

a well-used porsche is a happy porsche.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #5

After owning a 2001S for two years I think it comes down to one real question; Can you afford the maintenance costs while in grad school or should you wait?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

You didn't mention the price. Being a non-S and that much mileage - if the price isn't 4 digits - it's overpriced.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
I am a fan of 1st gen Boxsters. They tend to be very reliable if well cared for. Mine is a 98 with original motor, 106K miles, 80 track days, smooth idle, burns no oil between changes, a lot of car for the $$ I think.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

This is all very helpful. A lot of it just good reassurance. Affording maintenance isn’t as much the concern as full engine failure. That would be the kiss of death for my entrance into Porsche. As for the price, this is why I am most interested. It is a car actually being sold just outside of my home town, never driven in the winters (Michigan, so that protects from cold start ups), $7,900. Now I was truly considering two vehicles. A 2006 Caymen S, or this 98’ Boxster. One I could buy outright (highly appealing), the other a finance. I am regretfully deciding against the Caymen S, but if you all think a PPI and a solid test drive, along with the price of $7,900 is a green light, I may just be joining the club.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherRCN View Post
This is all very helpful. A lot of it just good reassurance. Affording maintenance isn’t as much the concern as full engine failure. That would be the kiss of death for my entrance into Porsche. As for the price, this is why I am most interested. It is a car actually being sold just outside of my home town, never driven in the winters (Michigan, so that protects from cold start ups), $7,900. Now I was truly considering two vehicles. A 2006 Caymen S, or this 98’ Boxster. One I could buy outright (highly appealing), the other a finance. I am regretfully deciding against the Caymen S, but if you all think a PPI and a solid test drive, along with the price of $7,900 is a green light, I may just be joining the club.
Get the Boxster. Save the Cayman S for a later upgrade after you've become addicted to P-cars.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

If you need help or have questions?

I live in Louisville, so if you have questions send me a PM. Would be glad to help in any way. Home town is also Michigan so small world.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #11

How many miles and owners for the Cayman?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #12

The Cayman had around 50k miles, owner was a deal, no specific history on previous owner. But I let it walk. I think I have decided that If I end up grabbing something for now, it will be this boxster. Just something to last me three years, hopefully some meat on the bone to sell later, then I'll be done with school and I will upgrade to a new porsche. I will see if I can set up a PPI at the dealer where my uncle just bought his 2013 Boxster S.

I know everyone always says that the PPI will tell you EVERYTHING about the car, but knowing that some of the common issues (i.e. AOS, water pump, brakes, ignition switch, and eventually shocks) with these cars are parts that are 'seemingly' fine one moment, and broke the next, are they thorough enough to catch most of that still

Btw, thanks Fullthrottle52, knowing someone is local and willing to help is great.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #13
Camibox

Garage
My 99 has 146,000 miles. If you can self perform the work it's not that bad on cost.....higher than most cars but doable. Oil change will run you around $80 to do yourself. PPI is very important. Records are VERY important. $7900 ..... should be some wiggle room there. Would look at around $6500-$7200 if all checks out
Camibox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #14

Garage
In my limited experience (18 months with a '97 Boxster), I have found that the clutch can be expensive to fix unless you are a DIY'er. Everything else, with the exception of shocks are relatively minor and relatively cheap. (The shocks may be easy and cheap too. I just haven't run into that issue yet.)

I would definitely vote for getting the Boxster if everything else checks out. After you get it, drive it around for a year or so and see if it's your cup o' tea.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #15

Garage
Use the PPI for a little more negotiating. Buying outright makes it easier if something else pops up. You are going to be hooked after driving those Kentucky roads in a Boxster!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote