View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
TeacherRCN

Worth my time? 98' 986

So I have been the onlooker for years now as members of my close family and friends enjoy Porsche track days in their cars ranging from a 2012 911 turbo, 2011 GT3, 2013 Boxster S, and so on. As much fun as it is to watch and ride, it has been long enough. Now, I am just a humble teacher looking for my first humble Porsche that will last me through grad school and can take a little track day abuse a couple times a year, as well as being a touring car for the gorgeous windy Kentucky back roads.

But enough rambling, here it is. I am looking at a 1998 Boxster with 110k (mileage is what is scaring me the most), but I can buy this car pretty much out right. I have not asked to see maintenance records, nor have I asked about the common MAF and ignition switches, clutch replacement history, or IMS bearings, mostly because I would like to hear from some of you before I waste my time with this guy. Ascetically the car is freakishly clean for a 15 year old vehicle.

Moral of this story... 1998 Boxster with 110k miles, take it or leave it as a touring/periodic track day car? Mainly, is it worth my time getting this information, or is this never a good idea with this old of a 986?
TeacherRCN is offline   Reply With Quote