Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Well it looks like I will be driving my 2001 Boxster base down to ...

California this winter. I need to know from you what I should be spending some money on this year before I go.

Total miles 40k. Done 11k miles in the last two years since I have had it no problems.
Have had cv joints refurbished. Have had IMS Guardian installed. Clutch is good.

If there were 3 jobs to be done before a long trip what would you recommend?
My thoughts are:
1. Replace water pump.
2. Replace coolant tank.
3. Read codes(has not been done in 2 year).

In priority 1-3 what would you suggest?Everything is working fine now. This is just prevention work.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #2

Original water pumps CAN go for 80K....new replacements can fail after 100 miles. If you do pump, replace serp belt too. Coolant tanks rupture for the most part if radiators are over filled. Just an FYI...I'd do codes first.

I would just change oil before leaving. Carry quart of oil, gallon of distilled water in rear trunk to keep levels correct. You probably really don't need to do anything, but code check seems smart. Inflated tires to 5 lbs below max for highway max miles.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #3

Garage
Drove mine from Houston, TX to Tampa (area), FL last summer. Checking the codes sure wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't mess with the other two items. Have the oil changed, make sure all the fluids are good, then let her run.

Just my 2c

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

With only 40K on the clock, I would change the oil and go!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #5

If it ain't broke, dont fix it generally governs before a trip.

Any change that you or a mechanic make should have a month of settling issues before making a longish trip.

If you have no Issues currently I would just do the oil change/filter and go.

Make sure the AC works too, you'll likely need it in CA on many days even in the dead of winter :-)

What City are you headed to? Maybe a local can show you some nice scenic Porsche Twisties while your out here.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
If it ain't broke, dont fix it generally governs before a trip.

Any change that you or a mechanic make should have a month of settling issues before making a longish trip.

If you have no Issues currently I would just do the oil change/filter and go.

Make sure the AC works too, you'll likely need it in CA on many days even in the dead of winter :-)

What City are you headed to? Maybe a local can show you some nice scenic Porsche Twisties while your out here.
Likely going to Palm Springs first and then heading to Prescott Arizona after. Coming from the north to get to PSP. I think the way it is shaping up my wife will be driving with me south and then I put her on the aircraft for the return journey.

Yes I think that a code reader will be the next major expenditure and I will check on the forums for a suitable one that does not bust the wallet. Thanks for the info so far!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Likely going to Palm Springs first and then heading to Prescott Arizona after.
I live in the area and have a PST2 if you want to check it out. PM me if you want my phone number in case you run in to a problem. And if your wife is leaving via the PSP airport, if she is in a small prop plane she'll hit some wild turbulence. Even the small jets run in to it a bit from time to time, but the smaller prop planes used to connect to LA and the like bounce a LOT. I've almost lost my cookies a time or two on them. Just a bit of warning.

BTW: Route 74 through the mountains is a nice ride. Plus there are more mountain roads through Idylwild and Hemet that branch off 74.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've driven my Boxsters on 5000 mile round trips several times. Biggest problem has been tires (flats, cord showing).
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I've driven my Boxsters on 5000 mile round trips several times. Biggest problem has been tires (flats, cord showing).
I agree... check your spare tire air pressure before you hit the road.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29853-road-trip-5.html

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #10

i've done several MD -> TX round trips, a trip to CO, etc. something might break on the way. no big deal, just deal with it if it happens. i wouldn't try to figure out what will happen ahead of time, because you'll most likely be wrong.

before i leave, i check the air in the spare, grab an extra quart of oil, extra serpentine belt, my tools and some sunscreen.