Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 02:13 PM   #1

GAHH top for Boxster

I recently had a GAHH top installed on my 2000 Boxster. I was asked to give my impressions.

It took the installer 8 hours to put it on. There was one guy working most of the time but 2 people sometimes. I was told they have one person who is fast and can do it alone in 6 hours.

The top looks great. It is as good as the original. Actually, it is better because it has a glass window. The window is a little smaller than the original plastic one, but it is not a problem. It has built in defroster wires that can be connected with a little effort and a wiring harness.

The top was very tight at first so the I had to pull it closed manually so the latch would catch. That loosened up after a few days. Now, after a few weeks I have to have the cables tightened.

The top looks fine and the material feels heavy and strong. Water beads up on it really well. I have no complaints and don't regret going with an aftermarket top.

I have attached some pictures. I can provide more if anyone is interested. I just stopped at the list limit of 5.

KenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #2

Looks really nice. What happened to your old top?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Looks really nice. What happened to your old top?
Someone slashed the top. Two rips - one a few inches wide, the other about a foot long. Fortunately they only cut the top and didn't get through the headliner.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #4

The GAHH looks good. Some owners have reported problems with the window separating from the seam. The problem was reportedly an early manufacturing problem and fixed by GAHH. Still, you still see some postings on separation. It would be great if you could report back periodically and let us know if it continues to bring satisfaction. Thanks for the post.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
bmussatti

KenT, nice job! Looks good.

That's a great looking iron gate in the background!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:39 PM   #6

Check out the GAHH ad in the February Excellance - that's my S
Did have a window separation on the first install - but they redid gratis with the new process. Very happy so far.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:12 AM   #7
bmussatti

Alshig, did you give them permission to use your picture (on page 4)?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #8

No - I was as surprised as anyone.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
bmussatti

Alshig, you should call them and ask to be compensated for the use of your car's picture in their advertisment. Seems reasonable to me!

All they can say is "no".
Old 12-23-2005, 04:09 PM   #10

"It took the installer 8 hours to put it on. There was one guy working most of the time but 2 people sometimes. I was told they have one person who is fast and can do it alone in 6 hours."

I hope they did not charge you by the hour. I have oput two of these GAHH tops on the 986 now, and both times it took less than 4 hours doing it by myself. The install is very straight forward, and I had only put one other top on in my life.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheguy05
I hope they did not charge you by the hour. I have oput two of these GAHH tops on the 986 now, and both times it took less than 4 hours doing it by myself. The install is very straight forward, and I had only put one other top on in my life.
That's interesting. No, I did not pay by the hour. I also assumed it took them that long because I saw them pull the car into the shop when I dropped it off and they were still finishing it when I got there at 6pm to pick it up. Maybe they were doing something else in the middle. The guy at the store did tell me it took all that time though, and he specifically said his other person could do it in 6 hours.

Maybe I should wonder about the installers. I have since developed an issue where the sides come outside the plastic edges when the top closes (where the top goes from above the window to behind the window). When I took it back to them they found some loops with velcro that are suppose to pull the top inside the guides. Those pop off when the top is opened, so something isn't quite right. They want it to stretch a little more before the adjust it. We'll see.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #12

If you haven't already, spray it with Raggtopp and use a softop top cover. Keep it looking new for another 5 years
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:52 PM   #13

How does the glass window affect engine access

I was in our local dealer a few months ago. All the mechanics were standing around a 99 boxster with a new glass window top. The window did not allow access to the engine. I even tried it myself. The later cars with the glass window oem have and extra bow that the plastic window cars do not have.
Terry
99 box
944 I class racer
84 944
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorris
I was in our local dealer a few months ago. All the mechanics were standing around a 99 boxster with a new glass window top. The window did not allow access to the engine. I even tried it myself. The later cars with the glass window oem have and extra bow that the plastic window cars do not have.
Terry
99 box
944 I class racer
84 944

That is very interesting. I never thought of that!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 AM   #15

Holy crap! Someone who has a glass window retrofit top on this list needs to try this and report back to the list with pictures. I was just about to buy one before I read these last two posts!

I just went to the GAHH web site and submitted a question to the owner to see if they tested engine access when manufacturing this top. I will post any replies I receive.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-29-2005 at 07:15 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:35 AM   #16

Pictures of the BAS top in the service position are here. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4503 You can get to the engine.

I have asked for pictures of the GAHH top in the service position but no one has posted them. But I do not see how the BAS top would be any different than the GAHH top.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I just went to the GAHH web site and submitted a question to the owner to see if they tested engine access when manufacturing this top. I will post any replies I receive.
[side note: I have never quoted from one of my own posts before. Sure hope this isn't a sign of multiple personality disorder.]

OK! The GAHH representative, after just two weeks, finally responded to my email question about the service position issue. My email inquiry was as follows:

Dear Sirs:

I was about to buy one of your replacement tops with a glass window for my
1997 Porsche Boxster when I read an alarming post on a boxster forum. It
appears that someone installed one of your fine glass window tops on a 99
Boxster, and while it looked great and worked fine, engine access was
severely limited.

Can you give me something official I can post to my forum to confirm that
this retrofit glass top has been tested through the eyes of a Porsche
mechanic needing access to the top of the engine?

As soon as you reply, I'll post it to my forum. Hopefully, it's just a bad
rumor and I can squash it and buy one myself as my original one has a
hole in the top!

Thanks for your clarification in this matter,

Randall Neighbour

Rob Bresnahan, GAHH replied with this:

First of all, I wanted to say how pleased I am that we have received positive reviews of our products in fit and look. We are open to feedback of all kinds. We are an adaptable manufacturer and can make changes fairly quickly. Either yourself or the forum members should feel free to contact me directly at rb@gahh.com with comments, questions, suggestions or issues.

As you know, we do offer glass replacement upgrade tops for the Porsche Boxster. There are trade-offs however, since glass does not bend and fold like plastic.

We spoke to a few Porsche mechanics and brought some Boxsters in to evaluate the concern more closely. It is our understanding that there are few maintenance tasks (changing filters, plugging in diagnostic equipment) that occur on the top of the engine, so the impact of the top is generally minimal. However, the mechanics did indicate that there is a more significant, although less common, service task that is impeded by the rear bow of the top. Apparently Porsche has had some problems with the coolant tank and occasionally that tank needs to be replaced. The rear window section of the top is limited in its range of upward motion, since the glass will not bend. In this case, the top material needs to be separated from the rear bow so that the rear window section can be fully raised. Once the rear window section is fully raised there is access to the coolant tank. This adds about a half hour of work to the service task. In the two cases we have heard about, the Porsche dealer worked with their local trim shop to adjust the top before and after the coolant tank replacement.

So the short answer is that most service tasks can be facilitated with the glass replacement top in place. The coolant tank replacement service is the only service that we are aware of at this time that is impeded by the glass window upgrade top. However, the top can be adjusted to create access. Given that every Porsche dealer has a local trim shop relationship, this only adds about a half hour to the overall service time. While the window upgrade top does present a challenge for the coolant tank replacement, there is a workaround. Day to day, of course, the glass window upgrade tops offer a clear view, longer life and heated defrost options.

Once again, thanks so much for including us. -Rob

My take on it: Get your coolant tank replaced to save a little money before you upgrade to this glass window top. Not having to get out and chop the top? Priceless.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #18

That is interesting but makes no sense to me.

The coolant tank is in the trunk. You do not need to get to the top of the engine to replace it. I know. I replaced mine 6 weeks ago. You do not need to put the top in the service position to replace the tank.

I am going to get my hands on a local car with the GAHH top and put it in the serivce position.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #19

Interesting... My GAHH top has the separation issue but I purchased it thru the shop that installed it so i'm not sure if they can get GAHH to pay for them to install it again as well as send me a new top. It is only a minor eye-sore and would only be noticed if I point it out... I haven't had any leaking issues. I would rather not pay for them to install it again because that cost as much as the top ~$650. Plus I would have to get the rear window retinted.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #20

Well, I talked to a mechanic at my local dealer today who worked on a car with a GAHH top. Same mechanic who told/showed me how to replace the tank.

He did not understand the tank issue, and neither did I since I just replaced mine.

He had to replace an emission valve which is a pain to get to even with a plastic window. He disconnected the clamshell from the push rods and pulled it back for more access to the engine compartment. I think I have pictures on how this looks on renntech.org

The next time they service a car with a GAHH top they will give me a call so I can take pictures.