Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyS
Great info randall Thanks for passing on....I still wish there was a clear cut answer on the maintenance clerance issue.
I do not believe this should be an issue that holds you back. You just unscrew a couple of bolts and move the top up and the clamshell back, adding 20 minutes to a job.

Now contrast this with the fact that you have to get out, chop the top in two places, put a little towel down so it doesn't scratch, etc. EVERY time you drop your top. Plus, you have no rear defogger and your new window will get scratched and crack when it's cold.

I'm buying the GAHH top this spring, regardless of maintenance costs rising a tad on the rare occasion that the engine is accessed from the top. I'm tired of the work, frustrations and fears I seem to have about my plastic rear window cracking in cold weather.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #42

I wish there was spell check here I see I killed clearance... I can see your point and too will be getting one (with glass) in the spring. I know your going to catch hell from someone so I say my sorry now. But really thanks this is a great web site for information..
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I do not believe this should be an issue that holds you back. You just unscrew a couple of bolts and move the top up and the clamshell back, adding 20 minutes to a job.

Now contrast this with the fact that you have to get out, chop the top in two places, put a little towel down so it doesn't scratch, etc. EVERY time you drop your top. Plus, you have no rear defogger and your new window will get scratched and crack when it's cold.

I'm buying the GAHH top this spring, regardless of maintenance costs rising a tad on the rare occasion that the engine is accessed from the top. I'm tired of the work, frustrations and fears I seem to have about my plastic rear window cracking in cold weather.
I was one of the first to buy one of these tops, and I would do it again. I agree with you because the glass window is far superior to the plastic one, and there is really no comparison if you ask me. There is a reason Porsche switched to a glass window. I have been to the engine with the glass top, and yes it was tighter tolerance, but it was no big deal unless you were in there everyday. If you are in the engine bay more than once a season something is probably wrong. I was able to replace the air filter with no problem.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #44

GAHH Top install

Hi guys,

Well, Cabrioworld is selling the GAHH top on ebay for $950 plus $25 shipping.

I can have a referred installer put it on for $400

Do those costs sound about right?

$1350 installed?

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
Hi guys,

$1350 installed?

KRZ

I don't remember my amount exactly, but that's very close.
KenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #46

Have you inquired as to what a GAHH shop might charge you? The GAHH rep told me that they would work directly with an authorized installer to provide both discounts on the top and the labor for forum members.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:28 PM   #47

I paid $1500 for top and install at GAHH.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Hi guys,

$1350 installed?

KRZ

Hey KRZ,

You thinking about swapping out your top? If so I would be willing to change mine if they gave us a good deal for both....Let me know
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:17 AM   #49

Quote:
Hi guys,

$1350 installed?

KRZ
That sounds pretty good to me... Get a quote on that install price. I think my install cost was $700-$800 and they were complaining that it was more work than they thought after they were done.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #50

GAHH TOP Spring Discount Special

We have been following various threads on GAHH. Generally, the response to our glass upgrade top has been good. We did have problems with the glass sealing when we first released the top, but we moved past that pretty quickly. Bascially the glass was separating from the material. WIth solved that problem within a few months. We have gone a bit farther this year and re-tooled for all of our glass tops. We now "double bond" the glass to the canvas. In other words, we seal the material to the glass on both sides on the glass. We believe this eliminates any possibility of separation.

On the new product front, we are test fitting our Porsche 996 (99-01) glass upgrade top this week. We are pretty excited about this.

We have become a sponsor of this site. We learn quite a bit reading the posts and decided to become a sponsor.

Regarding the cable for glass upgrade tops, we are manufacturing an aftermarket cable to activate the defroster. We expect to take delivery of 2,500 units in about 8 weeks.

With regard to pricing, we have made no material changes in our wholesale prices to any of our distributors since the introduction of the boxster upgrade product. We did raise our prices about 5-10% across the board for many of our products in 2006 due significant material cost increases. I think that was the case for many top manufacturers.

A note on installation. We maintain a bay in our North Hollywood 45,000 sf facility to perform installations. Typically, we are focused on new product introductions and/or revisiting newer patterns if we see material properties (stretchiness) change. At the moment we are hunting for a 2002 Maserati Spyder and 99-01 Porsche 996 for test fits. Typically we need the car for 7-10 days and we charge very little if anything for the test fit vehicles. We do other installations as well, schedule permitting, as it keeps us "in the loop" with the vehicles we support. We have some excellent trimmers available, but don't run a full blown trim shop. We more or less cherry pick the jobs that help us better develop our technical expertise so we can assist trim shops throughout the world.

We have started to put a lot more work in www.gahh.com. We are adding more pictures, increasing usability, improving search, etc. We welcome feedback on the site at info@gahh.com.

Starting 4/3/2006 we are offering a 15% Spring Discount and free ground shipping to this forum's members. This will put the boxster glass top price at $885 with free ground shipping. Use the code 996F456 when ordering to receive the discount. This offer will expire on May 31, 2006. This applies to tops and seats. We hope that you find this helpful.

We welcome your thoughts. Thank you. Rob
GAHHtopsseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #51

Rob, what will an authorized GAHH installer in Houston charge me to install this $885 top? Do you tell them what they should be quoting, or do they all set the prices themselves?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #52

my GAHH top is being put on now...I bought the cable from sunset porche-the one that GAHH will be manufacturing..they said only (4) were available in the U.S and had to order.-will post some pics as soon as I get my car back....
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #53

btw randall..installations costs for me ranged from $400-800, even the installers whom GAHH referrred me to...
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #54

My mechanic quoted 4-5 hours at 100 an hour. However, others have said they've had a top put on at a trim shop for as little as $250. I'll budget for $450 to install and I think I'll come out ok.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Rob, what will an authorized GAHH installer in Houston charge me to install this $885 top? Do you tell them what they should be quoting, or do they all set the prices themselves?

By the way, the code is 986F456. I mistyped the discount code.

We have no involvement in what the trimmers charge for the products or the installation. We leave that to them. We are happy to recommend trimmers in your area that we know from experience perform well.

Houston is a competitive trim market, so you are likely to get a good rate.

In Houston, we suggest:
Car Care Cosmetic 713-784-9667
or
Best Auto Upholstery 713-520-5443

You might let them know that Jack recommended them.

Have I placed my original posting in the appropriate area? If not, please feel free to move it. Thank you.

rob

GAHHtopsseats is offline   Reply With Quote