Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #21

This makes me really nervous.. I was ready to order the top off ebay and have called two places for install. I'm holding off now till we see more information. I'm glad this thread is still alive. THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS..

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
. I would rather not pay for them to install it again because that cost as much as the top.
Early last year when the GAHH top first came out, I contacted GAHH via email and asked for recommended installers in my area. GAHH recommended four installers and I contacted two of them. The installers buy the top directly from GAHH and at that time it about $969.00. However, at the same time, Cabrio World was offering the same top for about $700.00. I asked the installers if I could buy the top from Cabrio World and have them install it. They said I could but they couldn't warranty the work and the top. In hindsight, I'm glad my priorities didn't allow me to be an early adopter of the glass window top because I was leaning towards buying from Cabrio World.

FWIW, I was quoted about $450 to $500 for installation. The installer who offered $450 installation labor hinted that he might be able to offer a a lower labor charge depending on his workload (I didn't ask for it. It was an unsolicited offer and I didn't push it since I wasn't sure when I wanted to swap out my top.)

Don't forget there is also another glass window top offered by BAS International. I haven't seen any mention of separation on their version of the top. The BAS top used to be quite a bit more expensive than the GAHH top (unfavorable exchange rate between the british pound and US dollar perhaps) but BAS has been lowering its price since the GAHH top became available. The only perceived problem I know with the BAS top is that some people think that the defroster lines are too prominent when viewed from the outside of the Boxster. If you don't know already, there is a lengthy thread at renntech.org about these two tops when they first came out.

I find myself waffling between the two choices nowadays since GAHH has had some early problems. Although, GAHH seems to be doing the right thing while correcting the problem.

GAHH offered group buys in the past and if there was ever enough interest, perhaps a group buy could be made and then installed by approved installers in each person's area, offering some peace of mind concerning any problems like the glass separating from the top. Here are the conditions spelled out to the last person who tried to organize a group buy:

He is in the business of placing higher volume orders for discounts and will require a 10 order minimum for us to get the discount. The current retail price on the basic color top of is $959 which he will sell to us for $800. The basic colors for this $800 price are (Black/Black #101 or Indigo/Black #141). If you decide that you need either Space Gray #140 or Graffiti Gray #135 then the normal up-charge is $84, but he will only up-charge us $70. So your price would be $870. If you want any other NON-FACTORY color, then the up-charge, which is normally $184, would be $150.

If you have an 2000-2002 Boxster and wish to order a head liner, the price is $260 versus the normal price of $317.

All shipping charges will be only $25 within the US regardless of the city. I am assuming this is via ground.

He is the only manufacturer of this product. Do NOT APPROACH Cabrio World as he is the supplier to them.

We MUST have a commitment of 10 orders to do this deal. Each person will then pay individually via Visa, Amex or MC directly to GAHH.

The only challenge is that all orders must be processed on the same day. Again, this is his only restriction. So, WE ALL MUST ORDER ON THE SAME DAY.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #23

Thought you'd all like to see the new rear window we've got for our glass window top. Heated lines are now alot less obvious.
steve evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #24

which top

Steve

Which top did you get?????????????????Looks great .. Still wondering if there are access issues after install. Seems it has not been resolved in this thread.

:dance:
2000 V Star 1100
Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #25

This is the BAS top, as for the access I don't see there being a real problem, if you ever really need to get the rear bar right up its not that much work to remove the hood from the rear rail. It only takes BAS 2 hours to install the whole top!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve evans
This is the BAS top, as for the access I don't see there being a real problem, if you ever really need to get the rear bar right up its not that much work to remove the hood from the rear rail. It only takes BAS 2 hours to install the whole top!
Steve - does BAS offer instruction for DIY? Any special tools to be able to install a top in two hours?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #27

Hi,

Very Disappointing that the Service Position is eliminated with the Glass-Back Tops - could be a Deal-Breaker for me. I can't quite Fathom a trip to the Auto Upholsterer just to change a MAF Sensor.

Also, a couple of questions which I have not seen brought up - It occurs to me that this piece of Glass must weigh the better part of 5lbs., so how safe is this thing in a collision? Will you have a Glass Missile tear itself loose from the top and shoot forward at you and your Passenger's heads? I mean there were already some Separation Issues with the 1st Gen GAHH Top. Has this thing been Crash-Tested? And, if you have installed a Rear Strut Brace, will it interfere with the Top folding..??

Inquiring Minds want to know...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-10-2006 at 09:32 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Very Disappointing that the Service Position is eliminated with the Glass-Back Tops - could be a Deal-Breaker for me. I can't quite Fathom a trip to the Auto Upholsterer just to change a MAF Sensor.

Also, a couple of questions which I have not seen brought up - It occurs to me that this piece of Glass must weigh the better part of 5lbs., so how safe is this thing in a collision? Will you have a Glass Missile tear itself loose from the top and shoot forward at you and your Passenger's heads? I mean there were already some Separation Issues with the 1st Gen GAHH Top. Has this thing been Crash-Tested? And, if you have installed a Rear Strut Brace, will it interfere with the Top folding..??

Inquiring Minds want to know...

Here are some photos previously posted by Tool Pants in another forum of the BAS replacement top in the service position. I haven't done any service in the engine bay in my Boxster. Could someone tell me why this would restrict any servicing.

Good point about glass separation and a collision, Jim. As I understand it, BAS uses the same method as Porsche to bond the window to the top. Perhaps, Steve
Evans can validate my understanding.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #29

Is the BAS top available in the US?

- Mike -
K80Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Kid
Is the BAS top available in the US?

- Mike -
Yes, but I don't think that they have sold alot of them through their distributor yet. I think the initial tops delivered to US customers came directly from the factory. The North American BAS distributor is in Blaine WA and North Vancouver, BC and has concentrated on concours-level trim work on Jaguars thus far. I called Bart at the US distributor recently and he's checking on some details for me. You can find more information at www.bas-international.com and www.basjaguartrim.com.

P.S. I'm sorry if this hijacking the original GAHH top thread.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:42 PM   #31

Good to here your comments as always, we've pre-empted your concerns about the rear window detaching from the material in a crash. BAS would not sell a top that had not been tested. Our top with window was tested extensively at MIRA in the UK and passed all crash tests with flying colours. As for fitting instructions, we are currently working on a video disk that will become avaliable shortly and be issued free when you buy a top.
Also, what is a MAF sensor and how often do you need to change it?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #32

I was going to make a DVD on how to install a top. But Steve is going to beat me to it.

Still waiting for the call so I can take pictures of a GAHH top in the service position. In the meantime there are things that can be done to the clamshell to get more working room. In post #20 I mentioned the mechanic pulling back the clamshell on a GAHH car. That is what I did for the second picture.

Both pictures are my car and I have a plastic window, so the pictures are merely examples of what you can do to get more access to the engine compartment. I took these pictures long ago to show how to fix the top drive. If I had known I would be using them someday for another purpose I would have removed the engine lid.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve evans
Good to here your comments as always, we've pre-empted your concerns about the rear window detaching from the material in a crash. BAS would not sell a top that had not been tested. Our top with window was tested extensively at MIRA in the UK and passed all crash tests with flying colours. As for fitting instructions, we are currently working on a video disk that will become avaliable shortly and be issued free when you buy a top.
Also, what is a MAF sensor and how often do you need to change it?
Steve -

It's always appreciated when a supplier/manufacturer takes time to fully discuss their product. As far as your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor question, I'm probably the least qualified amongst the members to tell you specifics about it so I will point to other references:

Primer material
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf

Boxster specific material:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=659#

MAF failure typically occurs when the Boxster has tens of thousands of miles. Non-OEM air filters like K&N are known to induce premature MAF sensor failure (oil contamination.) So for the vast majority of owners, it's not a yearly maintenance task. However, when it needs to be done, you don't want any obstructions (hint.)

I look forward to hearing from Bart, your North America distributor, and from you, letting us know when your installation video disk is available.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #34

Hi,

Before we get too technical, my reference to the MAF Sensor replacement was simply to illustrate how some seemingly straightforward maintenance tasks get pretty complicated if we have to "separate the Top from the Lower Bow and reattach and adjust it" as indicated in the email reply RandallNeighbor received from GAHH.

To my mind, this reply from GAHH merely glossed over the issue. I have installed several Convertible Tops in my day, and the one thing common to them all was that they are not made to be continually removed and reinstalled. Aside from the Hassle involved, this will surely shorten the Life of the Top as well.

I suppose that if one didn't perform one's own Maintnenance, this matter may seem trivial. But, this is one of the very reasons I own the Car - I like working on my Cars - it's a very important part of the Hobby to me. For those of you not familiar with doing your own Maintenance, working on a Mid-Engine Car raises Maintenance to a whole different level and expands one's vocabulary tremendously on it's own, without having to essentially remove and reinstall the Convertible Top in the Bargain. I don't know if there is an adequate answer, except maybe sticking with the God-Awful Plastic Window...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #35

Need answer please!!

Help!!!!!!!!

I'm looking at buying a new top. I have looked at this tread and the pictures 100 times now. I see tool pants and 98box pictures and cant really tell the difference in space for the service position. Is There??????????????? I'm hoping to put another set of eyes on it. Thanks as always
2000 V Star 1100
Old 01-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #36

While I have no personal experience with the glass top, I have read and been told that there is a little difference in how much service space is missing with the glass top... but it will not be enough to stop me from buying one in a couple of months!

With a little work (from what I've read just 20 minutes) a mechanic can unhook a couple of things on the glass top and achieve the full service position for the top IF NEEDED. A vast majority of the work is done from under the car.

Go for it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #37

I recieved this from Rob, a GAHH employee... I asked if we could go in on a group buy and here's his answer...

First of all, I appreciate the feedback. Feel free to contact me at rb@gahh.com with questions or concerns. We are always interested in new product ideas.

GAHH is unique in a couple of ways. Domestically, we sell our replacements tops and seats primarily to trim shops. This helps us understand our customer better. Nearly 50 percent of our sales are orders that we process and ship that day. We have 45,000 square foot facility in North Hollywood and extensive depth of expertise in pattern making. We maintain a bay simply to test fit new and existing products, so we can continue to maintain our quality and provide better technical support to our trim shops.

Since few private vehicle owners are skilled at installation, we typically encourage vehicle owners to work with our recommended trim shops in their local area. We have over 5,000 trim shops that work with our products. We encourage the car owner to contact GAHH at 800-722-2292. We provide a special code to the car owner based on the promotion. We will recommend a trim shop that is proficient in installing our tops and guarantee that the trim shop will provide a 5-10% discount on the top AND installation to the vehicle owner when they present that code. GAHH has a discount structure in place with the trim shops for these transactions. We monitor the transaction to ensure that the car owner is happy. Forum members can use code 986F0105 to receive their discount. I think this will be more effective that trying to organize a group buy.

We will sponsor the site. We don’t have any banners prepared, but we will put something together shortly.

Thank you,

Rob Bresnahan
GAHH
Old 01-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #38

Great info randall Thanks for passing on....I still wish there was a clear cut answer on the maintenance clerance issue. I plan on doing most work myself and dont really want to have to mess with the top. I am leaning toward the glass rear window. I think we can add this to the rms court case. My convertible olds plastic window lasted 20 years before replacement and got only 5 fron the box!!!! sorry need tro rant and rave a little :ah:

:dance:
2000 V Star 1100
Old 01-19-2006, 06:53 AM   #39

Perhaps someone should tell GHAA to advertise here. We will give him his own thread for these sorts of topics.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Perhaps someone should tell GHAA to advertise here.
Um, did you read the last line of his reply to me? They're planning on it. I will waive my referral or commission fees on this new advertiser considering all the crap you have to put up with by my presence on this forum.