Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #1

DIY on front bumper scrapes?

Ironically I got a good scrape on the underside of my front bumper going into my Porsche dealership's driveway! Anyone tackled a fix on a DIY basis? Seems a little extreme for a body shop repair. I'd like to know sandpaper grit and prep tips if any of you have tried this. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2006, 04:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdancd816
Ironically I got a good scrape on the underside of my front bumper going into my Porsche dealership's driveway! Anyone tackled a fix on a DIY basis? Seems a little extreme for a body shop repair. I'd like to know sandpaper grit and prep tips if any of you have tried this. Thanks!
Hi,

Depending upon how deep the issues are, an epoxy sanded and then painted are your best bet. The advantage of epoxy is that it adheres well, sets quickly, and since it doesn't off-gas it won't shrink once it cures. It can be sanded, then painted. This is how 3M recommends repair using on of their epoxies - see: http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSRBDQRS68be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_6DTWTJQPBBgl/command_AbcPageHandler/theme_us_aad_3_0

If you have a series of scrapes, I would fill them a little proud with epoxy, then sand them using 1200-2000 grit papaer, followed by OEM touch-up paint carefully applied with a fine detail brish.

Depending upon how much care you use, the rerpair will be permanent and range from hardly noticeable to totally invisible. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I give it a try!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 AM   #4

Try towerpaint give them your VIN# and they'll send you a decent spray can of your Boxster exact (or close) paint. I've used in on prior cars to repaint chiped bumpers and mirrors.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote