View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #17
RandallNeighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I just went to the GAHH web site and submitted a question to the owner to see if they tested engine access when manufacturing this top. I will post any replies I receive.
[side note: I have never quoted from one of my own posts before. Sure hope this isn't a sign of multiple personality disorder.]

OK! The GAHH representative, after just two weeks, finally responded to my email question about the service position issue. My email inquiry was as follows:

Dear Sirs:

I was about to buy one of your replacement tops with a glass window for my
1997 Porsche Boxster when I read an alarming post on a boxster forum. It
appears that someone installed one of your fine glass window tops on a 99
Boxster, and while it looked great and worked fine, engine access was
severely limited.

Can you give me something official I can post to my forum to confirm that
this retrofit glass top has been tested through the eyes of a Porsche
mechanic needing access to the top of the engine?

As soon as you reply, I'll post it to my forum. Hopefully, it's just a bad
rumor and I can squash it and buy one myself as my original one has a
hole in the top!

Thanks for your clarification in this matter,

Randall Neighbour

Rob Bresnahan, GAHH replied with this:

First of all, I wanted to say how pleased I am that we have received positive reviews of our products in fit and look. We are open to feedback of all kinds. We are an adaptable manufacturer and can make changes fairly quickly. Either yourself or the forum members should feel free to contact me directly at rb@gahh.com with comments, questions, suggestions or issues.

As you know, we do offer glass replacement upgrade tops for the Porsche Boxster. There are trade-offs however, since glass does not bend and fold like plastic.

We spoke to a few Porsche mechanics and brought some Boxsters in to evaluate the concern more closely. It is our understanding that there are few maintenance tasks (changing filters, plugging in diagnostic equipment) that occur on the top of the engine, so the impact of the top is generally minimal. However, the mechanics did indicate that there is a more significant, although less common, service task that is impeded by the rear bow of the top. Apparently Porsche has had some problems with the coolant tank and occasionally that tank needs to be replaced. The rear window section of the top is limited in its range of upward motion, since the glass will not bend. In this case, the top material needs to be separated from the rear bow so that the rear window section can be fully raised. Once the rear window section is fully raised there is access to the coolant tank. This adds about a half hour of work to the service task. In the two cases we have heard about, the Porsche dealer worked with their local trim shop to adjust the top before and after the coolant tank replacement.

So the short answer is that most service tasks can be facilitated with the glass replacement top in place. The coolant tank replacement service is the only service that we are aware of at this time that is impeded by the glass window upgrade top. However, the top can be adjusted to create access. Given that every Porsche dealer has a local trim shop relationship, this only adds about a half hour to the overall service time. While the window upgrade top does present a challenge for the coolant tank replacement, there is a workaround. Day to day, of course, the glass window upgrade tops offer a clear view, longer life and heated defrost options.

Once again, thanks so much for including us. -Rob

My take on it: Get your coolant tank replaced to save a little money before you upgrade to this glass window top. Not having to get out and chop the top? Priceless.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote