Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Garage
Deep Sumps

Does anyone have personal experience with any of these?
I have found these:
LN Eng
Brey-Kruse
Mantis Sport
FVD

Thanks
Van914

Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #2

Garage
Greetings!

I purchased the L&N Engineering .5 quart sump extension kit and installed it on my 2001 Boxster 'S', which I use for the occasional autocross. Not too difficult a job for the extra peace of mind. Instructions are straightforward and workmanship and quality of the part is excellent. Helps to have a Dremel or similar tool to enlarge the oil sump baffle openings. Once installed, oil pan does not protrude far enough to worry about damage from normal size curbs or driveways. Hopefully, the oil pump won't suck any air while I'm tossing my car around on the course.
Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

Mantis sport - 1.5 L added capacity
No ground clearance issues - fits nicely
Has a great finish
Comes with a windage tray incorp.
Stock pan is not needed; one piece design
Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #4

also consier ebs; not an extension but improved baffles as per oem porsche x51.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is a good thread on oil starvation: Oil Starvation
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #6

Garage
LN engineerings is nice as they also extend the pick up with a spacer the same amoint as the pan extension. ++
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 04-09-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

I installed the most recent design mantis sport on my 986. Had to cut clearance holes in the windage tray for the swirl pots to clear, otherwise no worries. It has a spacer on the pickup also.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
I installed the most recent design mantis sport on my 986. Had to cut clearance holes in the windage tray for the swirl pots to clear, otherwise no worries. It has a spacer on the pickup also.
Jeeeez that is right..Interestingly enough, I have heard of Cayman guys back- fitting to these older swirl pots as replacement for the 987 direct return type.....better de-aeration apparently.

Yup you need to cut some holes to get the pots past the tray
Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Jeeeez that is right..Interestingly enough, I have heard of Cayman guys back- fitting to these older swirl pots as replacement for the 987 direct return type.....better de-aeration apparently.
BTDT, I also have an '06 cayman S with the older style mantis sump and backdated swirl pots. On that one I hammered depressions in the windage tray to clear the swirl pots. I think that approach may work better, since there are not extra openings in the tray, but it took a lot longer...
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #10

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
BTDT, I also have an '06 cayman S with the older style mantis sump and backdated swirl pots. On that one I hammered depressions in the windage tray to clear the swirl pots. I think that approach may work better, since there are not extra openings in the tray, but it took a lot longer...
Wow! I think you want the swirl pot exhaust to discharge close to the oil pick up otherwise you may be starving the engine of oil this way. The windage tray will impede oil return no???

You want the tray to cover the sump, pick up and swirl pot discahrge for a segregated oil control compartment....so as a I recall you want holes for them to poke down into the segregated oil volume......I have the new version but I would have thought the arrangement would be the same for the old.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #11

Point taken, the clearance holes will assist with oil return, so maybe that would be better. I was focusing on the operation of the windage tray.

FWIW, There are holes in the tray as supplied that allow oil return, plus the rectangular opening in the center. Keep in mind that with the newer design (angled tubes rather than swirl pots) there are no additional holes needed for clearance. I just kept it that way with my hammer work, so the same amount of return path is present as if I had the stock angled tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Wow! I think you want the swirl pot exhaust to discharge close to the oil pick up otherwise you may be starving the engine of oil this way. The windage tray will impede oil return no???

You want the tray to cover the sump, pick up and swirl pot discahrge for a segregated oil control compartment....so as a I recall you want holes for them to poke down into the segregated oil volume......I have the new version but I would have thought the arrangement would be the same for the old.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #12

Cool. Just wanted to put out what I think I know and help if possible