Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Does anyone think the same way about selling their Box?

When I'm driving my Boxster, I think about how fun it is, how much I love it, how I will never sell it, and how it has so much performance for a low bargain price.

When I park it and stop driving it for at least 3 hours, I think about selling it for a newer fuel efficient practical car.

I'm just wondering if i'm the only one having these thoughts.

This has nothing to do with affording it. It has been an extremely affordable and reliable car for me so far. But sometimes I wish I have back seats and I wish I can drive faster in rain and snow, which I can't really do without hydroplaning or sliding in the Boxster. And I wish I had cup holders for coffee on those 4 hour road trips I take each month.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

Um....... No.

1)I don't commute far enough to worry about the fuel economy. In fact, I'm dreaming about the 500 H.P. stroker small block I want to put in my '65 Mustang project.

2) With the right tires, you can drive plenty fast in the rain (but should you? )

3) You should't be driving fast in the snow with any vehicle.

4) If you must, you can add a decent cup holder, like the "ultimate cupholder" that sits on the floor.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #3

I second that NO!

If affordability is NOT the issue then the solution is simple.

You need a second car.

I bought my Boxster as a second car as backup for my 99 Wrangler and within 2 weeks the Box became my primary car because of the fun factor.

Now I only Jeep it when hauling stuff, the weather is bad or going to the Market parking lot.

Theres plenty of cheap used Econo cars out there and if you insure for liability only it will be pretty cheap on the insurance for the second car.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

I third that .... NO!

My Boxster is my daily driver AND a great track car. I could not ask for more.

Everyday I am living the dream!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #5

Garage
I have a Jeep for the snow and mud, a truck to haul crap, a Honda Odyssey for the sports team car pool, and the Boxster is my go to, good weather, top down, road trip, canyon cruising, fun car. I won't sell it until I can afford the 981.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #6

Well I also say no. I love my box and like I have said in other post till death do us part.

I recently put on new tires, the mich pilote sport A/S which are amazing. I go pretty fast in the rain with these and I took the box snow drifting with them as well. Simply amazing.

Back seats well don't care for them. Would be nice but its not a necessity.

The cup holder my friend bought it for me. Its one of the bell cup holders. Not great but its so much better then holding the drink or asking my friend to hold it for me.

Like the others said maybe all you need is a second car. I use my parants SUVs when I need to do something the box can't " carry more then one person, more stuff, and drive in snow higher then 2in."
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #7

I have a BMW 335i and a Toyota Prius Plugin as my daily - but after I got the Boxster I am driving that more as it's so much fun.

Sure, especially having 3 cars - sometimes I do consider selling it, but I'd want something along the same lines. The Prius I have to keep because I do a lot of work driving and it's very efficient.

In the future I may get rid of the 335i (Excellent highway car with loads of torque and tech) and the 986 Boxster for something more saucy - like a Cayman S or a newer 981 Boxster.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yep, I'm with ya M96
My reasons are a little different, though...
Tired of always going out of my way to park, just to find a door ding anyway...tired of constant harassment by rednecks in their hick-mobiles...tired of every 17yr old in a ricer wanting to race...

But, like you, on the good driving days, that is all forgotten. Still considering trading it in this spring, but I'm torn.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #9

Hell NO! However, this is not my everyday driver, if it was, you may have a point... I've only thought about upgrading to something Italian and red. Well, I guess it's not an upgrade, just different. I also love the fact that people think it's a $100K car, cracks me up.
navyc130fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #10

Nope. I consider 22~24 mpg in city and about 26~30 highway is just fine. My 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid only got about 26 mpg in city and about the same highway. Sometimes I could get a few more mpg from it in city, but the max was 30 and only then with no AC. My wife drives it now and my boxster is my DD. FWIW, she prefers the Escape to her Prius. It did get better mpg, but was not built right by the factory. Always wore one tire to the nub about three times as fast as it should have.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #11

I can't imagine selling my Boxster, although I just purchased it a couple of months ago - just in time to keep it garaged for most of the winter.

I too have it as my 3rd car to a rather nice but boring Accord and the family Odyssey (need something for the 3 kids). I am looking forward to some nice weather and the opportunity to drop the top and cruise around.

I also must admit, I have had the opportunity to take it to work and also enjoy everyone marveling at how I can afford such an "expensive" sports car.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Vista glass

Garage
I'll join the choir. NO. I got a Boxster to fill that niche of fun to drive. I have practicle vehicles. They are efficient but boring. I will keep a Boxster or something like it as long as I can. I find it reliable ,affordable, easy enough to work on , but most of all fun to drive. Life is short, have some fun.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #13

No.

See above.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #14

whatever I could get for it would not put me in something better. I'd have to sink more money into the money pit that is car ownership. and the improvement would probably marginal.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #15

Buy a bad weather backup car.
Mines a 2007 Prius to impress the neighbors with my hipness, to drive on the rainy days to keep my black car clean, for trips into San Francisco which frequent digs and dents are commonplace, or when I know I'll be bumper to bumper traffic .
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #16

Garage
Well I have to confess - I think about it every now and then (selling it that is) but I know that if i sold it I would buy another one shorly after (maybe newer) and I can hear my wife already "you're not buying another car" LMAO - So I just keep mine and drive it. Look after it and it will treat you well, we'd be hard pressed to find a better handling car
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #17
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Sometimes when I'm in the garage, I'll start to ponder about selling my Boxster. Perhaps get something more practical, something with better fuel efficiency.

Then those thoughts go straight out the window when I go for a drive.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #18

It's all about the tires. I never had any trouble in rain and have chosen the Boxster over a 4WD CRV and the CRV had fresh Michelin Rainedge tires, this was for a trip where I had to get there and is was post hurricane rain.

OTOH, there comes a time and I did sell the Boxster and buy a Prius...simply too old and wasn't using the Boxster enough and knew that wasn't good for it. Had I been younger and still using a car frequently, I certainly would have kept it. You shoulda seen the laughs when I pulled up at the recycling station in a Porsche and opened both trunks. The Prius is far more skittish in the rain than the Boxster ever was.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #19

Garage
Never crosses my mind. Sancha is my DD and I am just fine with the mileage. If I ever need to carry more than what she can hold, I will use the wife's car.

Of course here in Florida, it is convertible season year round

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #20

Garage
Nooooooooooo Get the Ultimate Cup holders and some better tires. I have a 4 door Tundra for the occasional time that I need that but mostly it just sits. The difference in the drive experience is just not comparable. Life is too short to drive a "practical" car on a regular basis!

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote