Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Hello. Please be gentle!!

Hello,
I am posting from jolly old England (no..... that's not the problem)

Been following the forum for about two months now. Seen some great threads and have finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 2001 2.7 .

I've noticed some pretty harsh answers to some of the dafter questions posed in the forums and as such I don't want waste anyone's time or upset anybody. I have some very basic and what may seem to be "silly" questions.

I have searched the FAQ sections and have not found the answers to my questions. This may be because they are so basic that perhaps I should already know.

To avoid annoying you good people is there any way of asking an experienced boxter owner advise personally?

Kindest regards

Bob

Nobbynumbnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Bob, just ask in here or you can PM me, I'll try to help if I can. Congratulations on getting a Porsche, posting pictures always makes people happy, if you have em, post em.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

Garage
Ask away! What's the worst that can happen ? We'll make fun of the fact that your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car !
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

Fire away!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #5

Usually the only peeps that get flamed are the ones that have made no effort to find their own answers. You've done some some searching and you've read your owner's manual cover to cover (right?) so any questions are good.

I'll start off by asking a dumb question of my own. There are some tasks, such as checking the oil, that require that the car be level. Where's the best place on the car to check that? The door sill maybe for front-to-back and the trunk floor for side-to-side?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #6

OK guys..here goes nothing.

Having never owned a performance car before. Should I try and drive it whilst keeping the RPM's down in an attempt to promote engine longevity? Ever mindful of the much discussed IMS issue. I really stretched myself budget wise to buy the Porker and do not want to have to spend a fortune in repairs. I do want to enjoy the car but having only ever driven family type cars till now. I am not sure what constitutes engine abuse! Is it really OK to wait until 3000 RPM until changing gear?

When I drive the car as I do (like an old lady) I find that changing gear can be somewhat "clunky". I must admit that, on the odd occasion that I have let the engine rev a bit higher that this problem disappears. Do you think that that I am driving the car wrong?

Also, after I have driven the car for a while I have noticed that I get a harsh sounding "knock" from the passengers side rear ( remember that the passengers sit on the wrong side of the car over here) when going over rough roads or sleeping policemen.

Mark T
Sorry fella, I do not have an owners manual ( apparently these always go missing due to the lack of a glove compartment in early models and they get lost in the house) don't flame me please. I don't think that I handle the pressure of new Porsche ownership, not knowing what I'm doing coupled with a grilling from you mate.

Ghost,
Thanks mate. Much obliged. Will PM you if you don't mind.

I need to figure out how to upload pics from an I Pad

Cheers guys

Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

i never shift below 4000 and on the track push it right to the limiter. car shifts easier that way (easier than when rattling around between 2000 and 3000 rpm) and porsche designed these engines to rev. folks say that NOT reving the engine can promote ims failure, as once the seal has failed on the bearing and washed all the grease out, the only thing keeping it lubed is lots of oil sloshing around at high rpm (tiptronics, which don't rev as high, are said to have a higher ims failure rate). also, any gas, etc. that may be in the oil which is detremental to bearing seals will get burnt off in a high rpm romp.

i say giver ********************!
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Ex Esso kid

Nobby, Drive it the way that pleases you but don't be afraid to enjoy the upper RPM range. As King said some say driving it too conservatively actually increases the potential for problems. To me, trying to drive it a certain way so it doesn't break is moot. Since you don't know how it was treated before it came to you just follow all the maintenance and enjoy it! Regarding your noise, we need more information to pin that down.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

The variocam doesn't actuate until you hit 4200 rpm so it's important to move past this range to exercise the motor fully.

However, with that said, I do not wind up the motor past 4200 rpm until its fully warmed up.

I am a firm believer that a Boxster motor taken to redline regularly will keep the motor operating smoothly, even if it shortens its life. It's a good trade off.

Noise may be the trailing arm (longest lower control arm). They're often the culprit of a clunk.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-06-2012 at 02:35 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #10

Thank you Chaps (I apologise to any Ladies for making the assumption that you are Guys)

I guess it's time to apply a layer of "man up" cream!

It's funny. I spent Years dreaming of owning a Porsche and the past Two weeks regretting my purchase. I suppose that should just get on with it.

I told you I was Silly!

Your advice has given me comfort and confidence to start enjoying the motor. Cheers.

In regards to the suspension issue. I'm not really sure how to explain it but here goes. Before the car has warmed up or been driven on the Motorway (Highway) there is no problem. After about 30 mins and If I then hit the small roads, even at low speed, there is a definite noticeable degradation in the ride quality. Each time the car ( or should I say the rear end of the car) goes over a bump, manhole or joint in the pavement ther is a noticeable bang from the left rear of the car each time the suspension is compressed. My solution thus far is to turn up the stereo but I am sure that this is not a permanent solution!!

Once again thanks for all your support.

Kindest regards

Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Ex Esso kid

The rear suspension components should be checked and hey this may sound dumb but make sure the wheel lugs are all tight. No regrets, you live once, it's a big bite for all of us as most of us on here are regular dudes not millionaires, enjoy it!!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #12

Cheers GHostrider,
Your motor looks amazing. Options to enhance the Boxster are very limited over here. Yours looks smashing.

BTW. I am in the USA in December. Arriving into Atlanta and driving down to Florida for three weeks over Christmas. If anyone is about, the beers are on me

Kindest

Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

Nobby - please don't regret your purchase, at leasy not until after the first massive repair bill...

First time ownership can be kinda scary. When I bought mine I thought it was some exotic machine that could only be fixed by highly trained Porsche mechanics and, like you, was very afraid of seeing big repair bills. I was fortunate to find this forum early on and quickly realized that, mechanically, it's just another car. I spent a few hundred bucks buying up tools and I have done virtually all my own work since. Most regular maintenance items aren't that hard to do. Some are.

If you want an owner's manual then pm me your address and I'll send you one on cd. My treat.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbynumbnut View Post

BTW. I am in the USA in December. Arriving into Atlanta and driving down to Florida for three weeks over Christmas. If anyone is about, the beers are on me

Kindest

Bob
Everyone… Let’s go to Orlando and then Miami over the holidays, Bob is buying the beer!!

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #15

You are all very welcome. I mean it.

Be warned though...although I'm British I drink like an Irishman!

Bob.:dance:
Old 10-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Everyone… Let’s go to Orlando and then Miami over the holidays, Bob is buying the beer!!
YES,YES,YES!!!!
I'm willing share the cost with Bob.

Last edited by Meir; 10-06-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Ex Esso kid

Nobby, There is a chance I may be in Dallas Ga by December which is not too for from Hotlanta, I may just take you up on that! You're going to love the 986, in fact if anything is bad about it you will now find living without a Porsche "ordinary". Besides, this forum rocks when it comes to collective problem solving, support and dare I say friendship. There is always someone around to help, in fact I wish more sites on the web were as genuine as this one.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
Track rat

Garage
Keg party in Daytona over Christmas break!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
Certified Boxster Addict

Welcome to the Forum and 986 ownership;

1. Don't be afraid to rev the engine. Its made for it. Drive it like you stole it. Engine abuse IS never going over 3,000 rpm. Feel free to redline it weekly.

2. In regards to your suspension clunk, the components are 11 yrs old. Have the bushings and key components checked. Its not surprising to have to replace the original shocks after 10+ years and/or 75,000+ miles.

3. Go here and download an owners manual. This link is for the 2003 model year but there is minimal differences between 2001 and 2003. You'll have to sign up to download it.

MY03 Boxster (986) Owners Manual - RennTech.org Forums

4. When is the keg party?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #20

As far as DIY, I am pleasantly surprised that many things are dead easy and definately fine for the DIY types.

Just put on new front brake pads, easiest of any car I have ever done.

Just pull one pin and out they come. Must be designed that way for quick pit stops during a race.

Ive come to the conclusion that the 986 is not a consumer sports car but really designed as a race car and is easy to work on for regularly changed stuff, handles like a dream and goes like stink.

Drive it hard and you will be rewarded with the performance it was designed for.

I redline weekly, and shift between 4000-6000 the best part of the power band.

When I'm first in line at the light I love doing max performance launches up to the speed limit plus 3mph. When I look back the folks behind are are small in the mirrors. Love it!!!! Flaunt it if you got it!!!

Ive been driving the car to work...only Porsche in the lot and the guy with two Mercedes has talked to me and wants to trade his in for a 986 now as he has seen me having a blast and also wants that kind of fun from his ride...

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote