Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Strange window and alarm behavior

Hi I'm trying to figure out where to look first before ripping into things.

Here are the problems 2004 Boxster:

1. Windows go down 1 " when the door is opened, but then go right back up when you let go of the door handle (doesn't wait for the door to close).

2. Top light on dash is always on when the top is up. I can press the switch where the top clamps above the rear view mirror with my finger, but the light still doesn't shut off. When I open the top latch from the closed position the windows drop as they should.

3. When I open the drivers door, the interior and door lights go on as they should. When I open the passenger door, nothing. No lights go on.

4. Weird behavior for automatic door locks. The light on the button is frequently on,
sometimes when I start driving I get the "beep beep" from the horn, usually when I lock or unlock the carr I get the double beep too.

ANY CLUES WHERE TO START LOOKING?

gjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #2

Either dying battery or worn out ignition switch. Start by doing a battery test first with a multi meter.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjansen View Post
Hi I'm trying to figure out where to look first before ripping into things.

Here are the problems 2004 Boxster:

1. Windows go down 1 " when the door is opened, but then go right back up when you let go of the door handle (doesn't wait for the door to close).

2. Top light on dash is always on when the top is up. I can press the switch where the top clamps above the rear view mirror with my finger, but the light still doesn't shut off. When I open the top latch from the closed position the windows drop as they should.

3. When I open the drivers door, the interior and door lights go on as they should. When I open the passenger door, nothing. No lights go on.

4. Weird behavior for automatic door locks. The light on the button is frequently on,
sometimes when I start driving I get the "beep beep" from the horn, usually when I lock or unlock the carr I get the double beep too.

ANY CLUES WHERE TO START LOOKING?
there is a switch in the door lock mechanism that tells the computer that the door is open. it's "attached" to the jaws in the door mechanism. if this switch fails, then the computer is informed that the door is open or closed. after the door is opened, it's this switch that informs the computer that the door is open after you release the handle.
my experience was with intermmitant lock LED on/off. took the mechanism off and opened the unit. There is a printed wiring board that a mating connector (mate to the harness) is soldered. it had cold solder joint.
yours may be the mechanism. Pelican parts has a good DIY article on the replacement.
I think Renntech has one where you test the mechanism.

Last edited by sb01box; 09-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

more info

I just found out the problem with the alarm doing the double beep all the time.

I have one of my convertible top motor cables disconnected while I wait for a new gear that drives the top. I just open and close it by hand.

Just tonight I put the top up, hand brake on, in park, and jogged the top switch. Sure enough, the dash top indicator light went off. No more beep beep when locking or unlocking the car.

There must be some point in the top transmission where it signals to shut the dash light off. It would make sense in that there are wires that go to the top transmission.

So my theory is if your top dash light stays on, and you know the latch switch above the rear view mirror is good, then it must be either the switch in the top transmission, or the top transmission isn't set in the right position- it needs to be jogged one way or another until the dash top light is timed right.

Back to my original problem of the windows dropping an inch then when you release the door handle, they pop back up. Only does it with the drivers door. Dome light and door lights come on when you open the driver's door. Open the passenger door, nothing happens. No window drop, no dome light. Must be the switch in the passenger door by the door handle.

Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #5

I have similar double beep problems and the source isn't clear. My suggestion is to take the car to a dealer and have them look for central locking system faults. My guess is that you do have a faulty sensor, but it could be one of many. Because my double beep is intermittent, I plan to follow the plan above in the next couple of weeks. Good luck.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
What does the passenger inside door handle do? Does it work normal?
You didn't say whether the inside worked or not..
Curious if it the inside handle does the same, if they both have the same symptoms.
If they both do the same, then its most likely the door mechanism switch as sb01box described..
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #7

more clues

O.K. taking this problem further... Now that the top motor is synched and the top light goes off on the dash, things have changed.

Open the passenger door, and things work as they should! Same is true if opening from the inside or outside latch. OPen the door, light goes on, window drops and stays dropped an inch, close door and window bumps up. Only problem is the window regulator drops but you need to give the window glass a little nudge- it needs some lubrication somewhere. May just fix itself if I use it a bit now that it is working.

Drivers door:
OPen from the inside and window drops an inch. Let go of the latch and the window springs up. It doesn't wait for the door to close.

Same thing happens if you try from the outside latch.

???