View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
sb01box

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjansen View Post
Hi I'm trying to figure out where to look first before ripping into things.

Here are the problems 2004 Boxster:

1. Windows go down 1 " when the door is opened, but then go right back up when you let go of the door handle (doesn't wait for the door to close).

2. Top light on dash is always on when the top is up. I can press the switch where the top clamps above the rear view mirror with my finger, but the light still doesn't shut off. When I open the top latch from the closed position the windows drop as they should.

3. When I open the drivers door, the interior and door lights go on as they should. When I open the passenger door, nothing. No lights go on.

4. Weird behavior for automatic door locks. The light on the button is frequently on,
sometimes when I start driving I get the "beep beep" from the horn, usually when I lock or unlock the carr I get the double beep too.

ANY CLUES WHERE TO START LOOKING?
there is a switch in the door lock mechanism that tells the computer that the door is open. it's "attached" to the jaws in the door mechanism. if this switch fails, then the computer is informed that the door is open or closed. after the door is opened, it's this switch that informs the computer that the door is open after you release the handle.
my experience was with intermmitant lock LED on/off. took the mechanism off and opened the unit. There is a printed wiring board that a mating connector (mate to the harness) is soldered. it had cold solder joint.
yours may be the mechanism. Pelican parts has a good DIY article on the replacement.
I think Renntech has one where you test the mechanism.

Last edited by sb01box; 09-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote