Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #5021

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A8ked View Post
Changed the fuel filter.
Car was running fine, but it seemed like a good idea as I have no record of when it was last changed. Decided to open the old filter for a look as it had a date of 2006 on it !! I found an amazing amount of black muck in the old filter, I'll be curious to see if I notice any performance changes.
I noted that the new filter I installed has a 2017 date on it (bought last month) so I'm guessing the old one dated 2006 may not have been installed in 2006, but surely has been in the car for a number of years.
This is the condition of my Audi fuel filter, 12 years, never changed, 135000+ miles. Not bad. Porche is next. I don't know if fuel filter has been changed.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #5022

Drilled a Drain Hole

So I committed what many may think is a Cardinal Sin.

I drilled a drain hole underneath the driver's seat. To prevent rust, I sealed around it with the same sealant I used when I installed a roof rack on my work van. I then installed a drain tube from a 911 headlight bucket. It makes it harder for water to splash in from underneath. I got the idea from another post and if I can find it I'll give the OP credit. It's part number 911.631.259.02

I had to use a 1/2" drill bit. I never like drilling holes anywhere on a car, and this was no exception, but I can now rest easy that if I get caught in a rainstorm, my Immobilizer is protected. Flooding is not a concern in my area, but even it if is, water would have other ways of getting in.

Yes, I could have gone with ECUDoctors waterproof case, but somehow I'm not convinced by it. Plus, $150 for a plastic box seems like price gouging to me.

I'm thinking of drilling another hole in the front floor pan, but I couldn't find a good low spot that didn't have anything in the way underneath. Still pondering that one, and I have time since the carpet isn't dry yet.

Here's the hole with the sealant:

Here's the hole with the drain tube:

Here's a pic from underneath:

And here's what the drain tube looks like:

P.S.
I found the post that suggested the drain tubes. Thank you to old911doc:
Quote:
Originally Posted by old911doc View Post
When I drilled my Boxsters I recalled there is an ideal part to fit in the hole, an original Porsche part 911.631.259.02, available from our friendly Pelicans for $3.00 each. This part is a small rubber tube used in 1960's-70's 911's, fitted into each turn signal unit to permit water to drain out without water easily splashing in. I would suggest purchasing four of them, and measuring the groove in the rubber to see what size hole to drill in the floor pan. I suggest one hole in the lowest point, which is under the seat, and one hole near the back of the floor pan.

Last edited by piper6909; 06-08-2019 at 12:36 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #5023
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I am not gonna stand next to you outside. Watch out for lighting. And stay away from puddles, stream crossings, etc. Safe, dry travels.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #5024

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I am not gonna stand next to you outside. Watch out for lighting. And stay away from puddles, stream crossings, etc. Safe, dry travels.
Yeah, I have a Subaru for stream crossings and such.

But what's lightning got to do with it?
Old 06-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #5025
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The white lab coat, furrowed brow guys, may invoke an incantation from on high, for questioning their engineering prowess/decisions. They still can't understand why Americans need so many damn cup holders in a vehicle.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #5026

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
The white lab coat, furrowed brow guys, may invoke an incantation from on high, for questioning their engineering prowess/decisions. They still can't understand why Americans need so many damn cup holders in a vehicle.
OHH! HAHA! Good one!

How dare we question their superior wisdom to place quite possibly the most important and most vulnerable-to-moisture electronic part at literally the lowest point of a convertible (think bathtub)

Alas, I shall repent!

Last edited by piper6909; 06-08-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #5027
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
So I committed what many may think is a Cardinal Sin.

I drilled a drain hole underneath the driver's seat. To prevent rust, I sealed around it with the same sealant I used when I installed a roof rack on my work van. I then installed a drain tube from a 911 headlight bucket. It makes it harder for water to splash in from underneath. I got the idea from another post and if I can find it I'll give the OP credit. It's part number 911.631.259.02

I had to use a 1/2" drill bit. I never like drilling holes anywhere on a car, and this was no exception, but I can now rest easy that if I get caught in a rainstorm, my Immobilizer is protected. Flooding is not a concern in my area, but even it if is, water would have other ways of getting in.

Yes, I could have gone with ECUDoctors waterproof case, but somehow I'm not convinced by it. Plus, $150 for a plastic box seems like price gouging to me.

I'm thinking of drilling another hole in the front floor pan, but I couldn't find a good low spot that didn't have anything in the way underneath. Still pondering that one, and I have time since the carpet isn't dry yet.

Here's the hole with the sealant:

Here's the hole with the drain tube:

Here's a pic from underneath:

And here's what the drain tube looks like:

P.S.
I found the post that suggested the drain tubes. Thank you to old911doc:
Nice! And, the tubes are great! I don't much drive in inclement weather, but had wondered why owners didn't just drill a hole. You did a great job.

Yeah... the $150 box. That's ****************ing crooked. If it isn't an overpriced ****************ing IMS bearing solution it's a ****************ing $150 plastic box.

Keep those drains clean, too.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:08 AM   #5028

Garage
Took FUNBOX to Palmer Motorsports park yesterday. Great weather.

Our PCA region, NER, is having a DE there this weekend and after the days runs we had parade runs, drinks and snacks, barbeque dinner and then a presentation by Lori Schutz, daughter of Peter Schutz, who was CEO of Porsche at some critical junctions.

I first took some pictures of the green run group for our regional magazine, the NOR'EASTER and then did the parade laps. Not because of the thrill, I get those at our vintage DEs, but because the track was set up clockwise. I have only run it anti clockwise and wanted to learn the track in that direction. Let the group blast ahead of me on the straights and then caught up with them on the twisty bits exploring the lines. To me it seems to be easier to drive in this direction. There are fewer blind corners.

Lori's speech was great and I learned several new things about Peter Schutz's era. The 911 time line I think everybody knows about, but I didn't realize that he also was the driving force behind Porsche getting serious about racing!

Drove home at disk with the top down. Terrific day.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #5029

Changed the air filter and checked the drive belt...still good
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #5030

Went to my storage shed to put away some tools. While there made sure that the Boxster was resting well.

It comes out next week when I take my other car back to the body shop.
Qckslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Nice! And, the tubes are great! I don't much drive in inclement weather, but had wondered why owners didn't just drill a hole. You did a great job.

Yeah... the $150 box. That's ****************ing crooked. If it isn't an overpriced ****************ing IMS bearing solution it's a ****************ing $150 plastic box.

Keep those drains clean, too.
Thanks, Starter! Yeah, Definitely keep the drains clean. Oddly enough, I checked the drains when I got the car and they were clean and the tray is intact. IDK if the previous owner cleaned them AFTER water got in or if the water found another way in, maybe from the top.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #5032

I washed my car. Then I went, 'duh.' And noticed for the first time that my license plate starts with 8DX, which if you squint hard looks a lot like BOX. Really! Try it! How cool is that?

Ok not really all that cool, but still...
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #5033
Boo

Before and After Visor Warning Removal

Finally! They are gone! Ugly things!
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #5034
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post

Finally! They are gone! Ugly things!
What was the process of removing?
Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #5035
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
IIRC mine came of with rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #5036
MarkT

Garage
Installed grill covers and new side marker lights

Made grill covers from mesh gutter guards. Had to take off the entire front of the car to install but found tons of bugs at least a pack of cigerette butts and other road trash in side. Also installed new side marker lights. I didn't like the orange US required ones.
Had my son clean all the parts as I took it apart!!!

Can't get my pictures to upload here but they are in my Garage photos...
Markt213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 AM   #5037
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
What was the process of removing?
Removing the warning graphic from the visors:
On my '02 S I was able to essentially scrape the artwork off with my fingernail to start. It came off in small scrapes, but easily. It left residue all over which I cleaned off with a soft cloth with a small soaking of brake fluid. Followed it all up with a soapy water rinse and then Back-To-Black.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #5038

Garage
My God - What's Next - CUTTING WARNING LABELS OFF OF PILLOWS!!!!!

All caps - you know it's important
Old 06-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #5039
Need For Speed

Garage
Not much going on here today as it's been raining, so I went out to see how the Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish was holding up.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #5040

I finally put my interior back together after dyeing the console and a bunch of other black plastic stuff that had that worthless coating.

Also changed the air filter and cabin air filter. Which leads me to question #1: Does anyone know where this oil residue on the intake tube came from?

My first thought was that it came from the PS pump reservoir, but the cap looks dry.

Then I tried changing the drive belt, but the replacement was slightly too short. I had the tensioner bottomed out and I made sure the belt routing was correct and it sat correctly on the pullies. The last pulley I would have put it on was the idler pulley next to the tensioner. I could probably force the belt, but I was afraid since the tensioner was bottomed out, there's no telling how much tension would be on the belt (the spring tensioner is supposed to put a certain about of tension, but the spring won't do any good if it's totally bottomed out). That made me concerned about having too much tension on the water pump. Which, BTW, I will replace VERY soon because when I had the belt off, I noticed a tiny amount of play.

Question #2: Has anyone ever had this issue with a Gates K060832 belt?

EDIT: So I found my own answer to this. the Gates 832 belt is 2113.28 cm long. The belt should be 2115cm. So I wasn't crazy, the Gates belt IS just a little too short. Not recommended, even though ******************************** said it fits.

Question #3: Which brand T-stat is recommended? I know Pierberg is the recommended pump, but I haven't found what's recommended for the T-stat, except going with a 160.

And last question: While I'm replacing the WP and T-stat, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by piper6909; 06-12-2019 at 05:35 PM.