Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #5041

what-did-you-do-your-box

Prior to Montreal F1 trip, I pulled the front bumper cover to clean radiators on Boxster S.
Even at 45k miles, the radiators were loaded with CRAP.
Shop vac took care of it.
A closer look revealed that the right side radiator(s) are stacked one atop the other on this car!
-Likely a/c radiator + engine coolant unit.
I carefully separated them and saw that CRAP had found it's way behind the a/c radiator and onto rad #2.
Got shopvac out again.
After I buttoned everything up, I realized that the ambient temp sensor wasn't in position, but jammed between bumper cover and radiator ducting.
Took it apart again.
Since time was limited and I was quite finished with ************************ up for the day, I didn't look into whether or not it was necessary to separate the driver side rads.
Anyway, it was great fun driving up to Quebec ( 8hrs), but driving back I was practicing my hydroplaning skills for 12 hrs!

newcider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #5042
Will there be cake?

Garage
Question #3: Which brand T-stat is recommended? I know Pierberg is the recommended pump, but I haven't found what's recommended for the T-stat, except going with a 160.

And last question: While I'm replacing the WP and T-stat, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I went with the borg-warner housing and t-stat (160) all in one from Pelican.

Part #: 996-106-013-59-M902
Wahler BorgWarner 4249.71D

no complaints, but it is just sitting in a box right now.
I also went pierberg even though I saw WP for half the price with composite impellers, it just seems to be the right thing to do with a moving part.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #5043

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post

I went with the borg-warner housing and t-stat (160) all in one from Pelican.

Part #: 996-106-013-59-M902
Wahler BorgWarner 4249.71D

no complaints, but it is just sitting in a box right now.
I also went pierberg even though I saw WP for half the price with composite impellers, it just seems to be the right thing to do with a moving part.
Thanks, Tony.
Yeah, I read that Pierberg was highly recommended but I haven't seen any brand recommendations on the T-Stat. Just 160 degrees. I think I'll go with the Borg/Warner Wahler as well.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #5044

Did a little painting 🎨

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #5045

Garage
Installed new Control and Track Arms in rear. This completes my renovation of the suspension! When I bought the car, it rode like a buckboard, and with each new set of components, the car rides and drive better and better. Going to take it in for alignment.
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #5046
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Thanks, Tony.
Yeah, I read that Pierberg was highly recommended but I haven't seen any brand recommendations on the T-Stat. Just 160 degrees. I think I'll go with the Borg/Warner Wahler as well.

We want to hear how it goes. Consider the engine mount fix at the same time. If you pull the mount, it makes the WP easier and our cars are old. Drag it to a shop and have it pressed in, good opportunity to build relationships with a shop.
The mount I pulled from my 2000 3 years ago was gone, I mean gone. No rubber connected. The 01 and 02 are probably the same. Yours too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #5047

Quote:
We want to hear how it goes. Consider the engine mount fix at the same time. If you pull the mount, it makes the WP easier and our cars are old. Drag it to a shop and have it pressed in, good opportunity to build relationships with a shop.
The mount I pulled from my 2000 3 years ago was gone, I mean gone. No rubber connected. The 01 and 02 are probably the same. Yours too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's something I hadn't thought of doing. I'm guessing you mean the front mount? Is that also referred to as the center mount? What do you think of the URO mount? It's cheap enough, but how long would it last? Should I go with the Lemforder?

P.S. I'm also thinking of replacing the oil cooler o-rings at the same time. Worth it or best to leave them be?

Last edited by piper6909; 06-13-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #5048

I just finished changing out all of this:

Every rubber part in th suspension along with upgrading to ROW M030. It is going to the alignment shop in the morning. I can hardly wait...

Last edited by JavPit; 06-14-2019 at 10:31 AM.
JavPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #5049
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
That's something I hadn't thought of doing. I'm guessing you mean the front mount? Is that also referred to as the center mount? What do you think of the URO mount? It's cheap enough, but how long would it last? Should I go with the Lemforder?

P.S. I'm also thinking of replacing the oil cooler o-rings at the same time. Worth it or best to leave them be?
i wouldn't touch the oil cooler unless its leaking. The mount...at least look at it. If you are doing the WP. you should pull it anyway. Tell us how it goes
Old 06-14-2019, 03:47 AM   #5050

Garage
When I did my WP/Thermo I also did the Oil heat exchanger 'O' rings while the coolant was drained. To me it made sense as those little bugger (a few dollars) can cause a lot of mess. The originals were hard and somewhat flattened
Old 06-14-2019, 04:45 AM   #5051

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavPit View Post
I just finished chaning out all of this:

Every rubber part in th suspension along with upgrading to ROW M030. It is going to the alignment shop in the morning. I can hardly wait...
How long did it take you?
'56 356A
Tailwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:47 AM   #5052
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Should I go with the Lemforder?
Yes. Very yes.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #5053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
How long did it take you?
Hard to say exactly as I only worked on it Friday nights after the kids went to bed. That makes for a lot of starting and stopping. I'd say about 4-5 hours a wheel. I will say it was really straight forward. I never got hung up or stuck I just work kinda slow. My scissor lift made things a lot easier as well.
JavPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #5054

Garage
Got FUNTOY ready for the first AX of the year. Changed wheels to the ones with RE71-Rs and workd on removing a rattle from the aftermarket exhaust I installed a few weeks ago. Turned out the muffler was crooked. Was able to straighten it by loosening all bolts and nuts holding it in place and using a ratchet strap, including the exhaust clamps holding the U pipes, and then pulling it into place with a ratchet strap. Will have to remember that for the future: install everything, but don't tighten any fasteners, then use ratchet straps to pull everything into place (if needed) and then tighten all fasteners.

Went for a run afterwards. Love the sound when I gun it. Sounds like a real Porsche now! And no drone.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #5055

Quote:
Tell us how it goes
Will do! I'm in the process of ordering the parts. Thanks for all your input and thanks to kk2002s as well!
Old 06-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #5056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Got FUNTOY ready for the first AX of the year. Changed wheels to the ones with RE71-Rs and workd on removing a rattle from the aftermarket exhaust I installed a few weeks ago. Turned out the muffler was crooked. Was able to straighten it by loosening all bolts and nuts holding it in place and using a ratchet strap, including the exhaust clamps holding the U pipes, and then pulling it into place with a ratchet strap. Will have to remember that for the future: install everything, but don't tighten any fasteners, then use ratchet straps to pull everything into place (if needed) and then tighten all fasteners.

Went for a run afterwards. Love the sound when I gun it. Sounds like a real Porsche now! And no drone.
Nice! What aftermarket muffler did you end up installing? Hopefully I won't need one anytime soon, but I've been hearing about the dreaded drone from some units out there. So when I have to, I like to have a brand in mind. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #5057

I took my 2000S to the autobody shop for an estimate after somebody backed into my driver-side door. The damage didn't look too bad, but I guess the dent is enough that I'll be getting a new door. Ugh. Perhaps I should harvest the regulator I replaced last year so I have a spare.

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #5058

well, not boxster related, but just finished driving 1400 kms to a friday track day (test and tune) followed by a two day race weekend. set my camp up for a weekend of racing, got out on the track and ... broke the end off my cam halfway through my first lap. destroyed the timing chain and everything it hit. got the tow of shame off the track, loaded everything up, and drove to the shop where top men are working late into the night to get me back on the track for tomorrow (hopefully). while i sit and drink a beer of despair.

so, you think ims is an issue? try running a 50-year old historic british race car.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #5059

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, not boxster related, but just finished driving 1400 kms to a friday track day (test and tune) followed by a two day race weekend. set my camp up for a weekend of racing, got out on the track and ... broke the end off my cam halfway through my first lap. destroyed the timing chain and everything it hit. got the tow of shame off the track, loaded everything up, and drove to the shop where top men are working late into the night to get me back on the track for tomorrow (hopefully). while i sit and drink a beer of despair.

so, you think ims is an issue? try running a 50-year old historic british race car.
Ouch! I feel for you, man.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #5060
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post

Sunnuva!
So sorry, dude.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote