Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #3041
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I know a Boxster owner who installed a yellow tach in the center, and kept the other dials black, like how Ferrari does it. Looked kinda cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribfiller View Post
So now I wonder if anyone has painted the face dials or changed them to a different color. One project leads to another. My car is speed yellow and adding a bit of color to a black interior would be nice.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #3042

Hey Boxstaboy, I like your knobs and eject button. We're did you find them? Thanks.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:37 AM   #3043
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Hey Boxstaboy, I like your knobs and eject button. We're did you find them? Thanks.
Eject button:
EJECT BUTTON!!! 12-volt / Lighter Insert Aluminum Faux Ejection Seat Button Red Eject Button****-****Mitsubishi 3000GT****/****Dodge Stealth Parts

The knobs are from the Becker radio that is factory installed in the Chrysler Crossfire. I was tired of the cheap looking black knobs, and while I don't own a Crossfire, it looked like they would fit our radio, and it does. You can get them from Beckeraudio on EBay. Just search for Becker radio knobs and it should pop up. If you paint your current knobs, you should try to use flexible paint or it'll crack. These knobs, you can squeeze em without worry of the paint cracking, and they look better than the black stock ones.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:48 AM   #3044

Picked up some more jack stands. Gonna put the car in the air tonight, and store the tires in my basement for the winter.

I need to bring one of the tires back to the shop, as it has a slow leak.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #3045

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
Picked up some more jack stands. Gonna put the car in the air tonight, and store the tires in my basement for the winter.

I need to bring one of the tires back to the shop, as it has a slow leak.
I understand from previous Forum comments suspending your Porche is not good for the suspension system
Old 01-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #3046
Luckyed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Eject button:
EJECT BUTTON!!! 12-volt / Lighter Insert Aluminum Faux Ejection Seat Button Red Eject Button****-****Mitsubishi 3000GT****/****Dodge Stealth Parts

The knobs are from the Becker radio that is factory installed in the Chrysler Crossfire. I was tired of the cheap looking black knobs, and while I don't own a Crossfire, it looked like they would fit our radio, and it does. You can get them from Beckeraudio on EBay. Just search for Becker radio knobs and it should pop up. If you paint your current knobs, you should try to use flexible paint or it'll crack. These knobs, you can squeeze em without worry of the paint cracking, and they look better than the black stock ones.

$15 shipping for a $19.99 part.....no thanks.
I found the same thing on Amazon for $23.95 with free shipping.....
https://www.amazon.com/12-volt-Accessory-Ejection-non-functional-Vehicles/dp/B00NGWOEUQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483715628&sr=8-4&keywords=auto+eject+button
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 AM   #3047
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyed View Post
$15 shipping for a $19.99 part.....no thanks.
I found the same thing on Amazon for $23.95 with free shipping.....
https://www.amazon.com/12-volt-Accessory-Ejection-non-functional-Vehicles/dp/B00NGWOEUQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483715628&sr=8-4&keywords=auto+eject+button
Yep, that's where I got mine from too. Should've mentioned that, but instead posted link from original seller seeing that it was cheaper (but didn't see that they charged that much shipping).

Old 01-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #3048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I understand from previous Forum comments suspending your Porche is not good for the suspension system
Yes, I intend to put the jacks under the suspension so the struts will not sit extended all winter.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #3049
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post

They want $53 CDN PLUS $46 CDN shipping for these 2 knobs. Jeeeeeezus that is criminal. Then again I don't have to buy them. I Plastidipped mine and they look new. The silver does look good though.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #3050
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
They want $53 CDN PLUS $46 CDN shipping for these 2 knobs. Jeeeeeezus that is criminal. Then again I don't have to buy them. I Plastidipped mine and they look new. The silver does look good though.
Yeah, the silver knobs actually make the radio look retro to me, which is kinda cool. A few years ago, I read that Becker Audio sold the pair for only $23. Crazy how the prices go up so much, and the price you say they'll charge to send to Canada is crazy. Do they make silver plastidip? I am thinking that you can paint them with some type of paint made for plastic that allows some bending, sorta how the paint on a bumper is flexible?

Old 01-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #3051

Drove mine down the Hume highway which is a popular drive out here in Australia only for a MASSIVE kangaroo to come out and kamikaze it's self into the side of my car causing extensive damage and a nice $850 AUD insurance excess fee.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:00 AM   #3052

Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
Drove mine down the Hume highway which is a popular drive out here in Australia only for a MASSIVE kangaroo to come out and kamikaze it's self into the side of my car causing extensive damage and a nice $850 AUD insurance excess fee.

Sorry for your incident. The insurance penalty seems a bit unfair for what is probably a fairly routine random occurance in Australia. In North America we have deer who act similarly. I'm not sure how our rates are affected if we hit a deer.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #3053

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Sorry for your incident. The insurance penalty seems a bit unfair for what is probably a fairly routine random occurance in Australia. In North America we have deer who act similarly. I'm not sure how our rates are affected if we hit a deer.
Think you will find that hitting a deer will impact your rates. Rates are based on the number of claims you make, even if you aren't at fault. Make lots of claims, rates go up. Even one claim to certain companies and your rate will move up a tiny bit, but adds up over the years.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #3054

I try and not drive my box at night because of the deer. It seems like when I do drive at night, they're always on the side of the road just waiting to jump out on me.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #3055

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Had a club meeting and came out to this
i managed to make it a few km before I pulled off and got a tow
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #3056

Garage
Haha......I was going to shoot you a text and join up. Then I looked at the forecast and thought nah, maybe next Sunday. Hope you and the box made it home ok...
Old 01-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #3057

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I try and not drive my box at night because of the deer. It seems like when I do drive at night, they're always on the side of the road just waiting to jump out on me.
Porsche's seem to have that effect on people. If you haven't got every dick head on the street trying to race you, or hopeless drivers crashing into you for no apparent reason you have to deal with animals as well.

That's why I love driving my little old hyundai hatchback sometimes because no one takes any notice.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #3058

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
Haha......I was going to shoot you a text and join up. Then I looked at the forecast and thought nah, maybe next Sunday. Hope you and the box made it home ok...

Made it a few km down the highway and decided to call Hubert and get his tow truck out. Once we were past ladysmith the roads were fine
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #3059

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Made it a few km down the highway and decided to call Hubert and get his tow truck out. Once we were past ladysmith the roads were fine
You made a great choice in pulling over. I've only had one encounter with snow, literally 1/2" on a slight downhill grade. I was creeping along and saw a traffic light turn amber half a block ahead. I barely touched the brake to start slowing, car rotated 45 degrees and at that point I was along for the ride. Slid through what was now a red light, fortunately the folks who had the green saw my predicament and watched as I continued through the intersection in slow motion.
I was lucky, no impacts with other cars or curbs....don't ever want to have that helpless feeling again.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #3060

We had a few inches of snow on Saturday. Yesterday I took my Boxster out to drop it off for the repair of my fender bender earlier this week. Our cul-de-sac still had packed snow on it but the rest of the streets were all clear. Going easy on summer tires to the end of our street was slippery!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote