Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #3741

Temecula Fun Day with other porsches (914s)

Wife and I drove it around 70 miles one way to the event with topdown and with a nice weather last saturday.

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #3742

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKing View Post
Added about 3/4ths of a gallon of coolant. No leaks so no idea why it needed it but, noticed the coolant light blinking on my way to work this morning so, checked and hey, the tank is empty... Also gave her a bath
Since she's new to you could be anything - it the coolant keeps disappearing mysteriously check for a little white smoke at start up with hint of coolant aroma. My coolant was leaking through a cracked head.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #3743

Only got mine in July after driving them at work I needed one and am loving every second of it.

Previous owner tried painting the emblem with nail polish or something and it looked awful. So I finally got time to sit and clean them. It looks good and Im happy I didn't have to buy new ones!

Lucassharringtonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #3744

Today I gave my Boxster a good washing, then masked off the top and reapplied Ragg Top. After removing all of the masking, I washed the windows. Sitting in the car, I opened the driver side vanity mirror to give it a wipe, and the mirror lid fell in my lap. So I just ordered a new mirror unit, part number 986-731-901-01-01C. I hate when stuff like that happens!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #3745

Just cleaned my radiators. While I was in there, I also rerouted the emergency frunk release cable to behind the tow hook.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #3746

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
In honor of the last day of Summer, I drove mine to work today and put the top down for the 60 mile ride home. I got a picture in my driveway right at sunset when I got home-

Beautifll, nice color in the evening sky.

Judging by the reflections, no Hurricane tomorrow for you.
"Red sky at night, Sailors delight"
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #3747

Garage
Passed MA state inspection. Two weeks ago I got the dreaded P0430 CEL. Changed the bank 2 O2 sensors and cleared the CEL. Thankfully it didn't return in a week and half of driving. Phew!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #3748

New to the forums and just purchased a 2001 986S with only 46k miles.

Well, now she has 47.5k miles since I road tripped her to Texas from Virginia. Was a nice drive through the mountains.

This weekend I changed the oil and de-snorkeled her. Then washed and waxed her. Still sorting through some other minor issues, but very pleased overall.
rickyboycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #3749

Center Cap Emblems

Came home from work to find that the wheel center crests I ordered on ebay from China (ebay seller neuepulse) had arrived. They are gorgeous! I installed them on my spare set of center caps and will swap them for the ones that are on the car now (will keep the other ones as spares).

They cost just $58.95 ($13.99 each plus $2.99 shipping) for all four!

They came with double sided foam tape on the back to attach to the wheel centers, but I decided to remove the tape and use adhesive instead. I originally intended to use black silicone adhesive/sealant but in the end I went with Loctite premium Urethane adhesive. I used cut down cotton swabs stuffed into the holes to keep the adhesive out. They also helped center the badge. Worked great. I'll use a dab of black silicone adhesive/sealant on each of the retaining prongs when I install the caps on the wheels (it keeps them from rattling)...

These look so good I will probably order another set!

Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #3750

I'm keeping an eye on that. I suspect, it was air in the system since the previous owners, 5 of them, didn't keep any records. Filled the tank a week ago and lost nothing since, no leaks no smoke. I do expect to be replacing the starter soon though, occasionally get the gear whine on cold starts... When I do that, I'll be replacing water pump, thermostat and serpentine belt.
RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:08 AM   #3751

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
Came home from work to find that the wheel center crests I ordered on ebay from China (ebay seller neuepulse) had arrived. They are gorgeous! I installed them on my spare set of center caps and will swap them for the ones that are on the car now (will keep the other ones as spares).

They cost just $58.95 ($13.99 each plus $2.99 shipping) for all four!

They came with double sided foam tape on the back to attach to the wheel centers, but I decided to remove the tape and use adhesive instead. I originally intended to use black silicone adhesive/sealant but in the end I went with Loctite premium Urethane adhesive. I used cut down cotton swabs stuffed into the holes to keep the adhesive out. They also helped center the badge. Worked great. I'll use a dab of black silicone adhesive/sealant on each of the retaining prongs when I install the caps on the wheels (it keeps them from rattling)...

These look so good I will probably order another set!
They look really nice. Is there a clear coat over the crest?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #3752

Quote:
They look really nice. Is there a clear coat over the crest?
The factory ones have a coating that resembles a smooth gel coat (as if you slathered the badge with a thick coating of clear epoxy).

The replacements appear to have a clear coating over the painted areas with the gold metal un-coated. They actually look nicer than the factory ones to me. Only time will tell how they will hold up though...
Old 09-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #3753

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
The factory ones have a coating that resembles a smooth gel coat (as if you slathered the badge with a thick coating of clear epoxy).

The replacements appear to have a clear coating over the painted areas with the gold metal un-coated. They actually look nicer than the factory ones to me. Only time will tell how they will hold up though...
Thanks, on my OEM center caps with colored crests that gel coat is getting a bit brownish-yellow. But I am sporting a set of Nine8Six's center caps now so I haven't worried about the original caps.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #3754
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
well yesterday actually . .

Put the Boxster away for it's 6 month sleep. Yeah, I know, it's a little early but my insurance renews on Sep 25 each year and it is easier to time the lay up insurance and put it away at the same time.

The weather the past 6 months was amazing up here in the Great White North. I put in a lot of great miles since April with the Boxster running better than ever.

Here's looking forward to great top down weather in 2018.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #3755

I successfully installed an Android head unit.
Still have to trim the frame and see if I can get sound to the door speakers, but it's working.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #3756

Quote:
Thanks, on my OEM center caps with colored crests that gel coat is getting a bit brownish-yellow. But I am sporting a set of Nine8Six's center caps now so I haven't worried about the original caps.
I installed the center caps last night and they look great! I am really happy with them. I am going to order another set and replace them on the caps I just removed. I think I'll keep them as spares.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #3757

Today I replaced the lighted mirror unit in the driver's side sun visor. I was surprised that the new unit came with light bulbs but not the actual mirror/light lenses part which gets reused from the old unit. Thanks to others posts here, it was an easy and straightforward job. The hardest part was getting the center tab to release from the old mirror/lens part. I soldered the wires and used heat shrink tubing. Only burned one finger with soldering iron, didn't burn any visor parts with the soldering iron or the heat gun!

When (if?) the passenger side mirror cover fails, I think I may try buying the unlit unit and just swapping the cover.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #3758

Quote:
When (if?) the passenger side mirror cover fails, I think I may try buying the unlit unit and just swapping the cover.
Yeah, it's a lot cheaper to swap over just the covers. Less likely to burn fingers too! (ask me how I know... Bonus is that you end up with an extra mirror which can be used for shaving on camping trips, putting in contact lenses, etc.

+1 for heat shrink tubing!
Old 09-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #3759

Garage
I bled the brake lines for the first time, as well as clutch. Took me more than 2 hours, 3.50 hours. The shifting felt smoother and brakes worked! I was a little nervous about doing this; my first time
Old 09-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #3760

Bought it and drove her home: 2002 Lapis Blue Metallic 2.7 with 91,000 miles & LN Engineering IMS Solution!
Attached Images

Last edited by 98Sixer; 09-30-2017 at 10:08 PM.
98Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote