Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #161

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
got all four paws off the ground..
rotors, pads, and painted calipers tomorrow..
Hefeweizen time now...
Attachment 16677
Another rough looking neighborhood ! What's up with the caliber of members here ?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #162
Track rat

Garage
Lil Red got her bi-annual thorough washing. She still looks pretty good for a 14 yr old track rat.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topless; 10-14-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
ATF - You bet! It creeps up into the spocket shaft which goes dry and then sounds like crap. My old Audi did that a few years ago and it came highly recommended to use ATF... the starter lasted me 4 more years and then I sold the car with the same starter still... I guess ATF has great friction enhancomg additives in it... sure beat buying a new one
Can we get some details here folks? What is ATF and how do you soak it? Spray and soak or remove and soak? Mine has that noise and would like to calm it down. Thanks.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #164

Topped up the fuel tank, washed the exterior, vacuumed out the inside and hooked up the float charger. Pretty much ready for winter storage.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #165

Garage
Bala.... ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid)....
Undo the Starter... cut off a used oil bottle about 3" high from the bottom... fill it a little over half way with ATF... then stand the starter up into it, with the gear/shaft into the oil (let soak - the longer the better)... (The only trick is supporting it so it doesnt fall over... I clamped mine into a small vise which worked well and supported a small oil resevoir)
Once its well submerged leave it for at least 24hrs... when ready take it out, wipe off all the oil and re-install it.
I left mine in for a few days and once a day i pulled it out and gave the gear a good spin at the end
One big piece of advise to get the bottom of the two bolts undone on the starter... get yourself a couple of long 1/2" extensions and undo that lower nut from access next to the alternator from within the car (have to remove the little hatch behind the seats) it makes life so much easier.

Heiko
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #166
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Another rough looking neighborhood ! What's up with the caliber of members here ?

New rotors are on.
I found out the brake pads I acquired did not have the hole in them for the brake pad sensors. Hawk HPS ferro carbon brake pads..

Enough fun for one day.. calipers paint next, ordered two new rear tires..
Name:  IMG_0489.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  46.5 KBName:  IMG_0490.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  61.8 KB
Painted the lugs.. used an old packaging box..
Name:  IMG_0486.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  56.0 KB
Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #167
The Legend

You guys know that one transmission bolt with the triple square? Well an embarrassingly long while ago I stripped that trying to take the transmission out. Made multiple attempts to grind the head of the bolt off.

Today I finally got it done. Took a drill, a dremel and a bit of WD-40. Replacing it with a hex when I'm done.

Any insight as to WHY a lone bolt was a triple square?
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #168
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxslrr View Post
You guys know that one transmission bolt with the triple square? Well an embarrassingly long while ago I stripped that trying to take the transmission out. Made multiple attempts to grind the head of the bolt off.

Today I finally got it done. Took a drill, a dremel and a bit of WD-40. Replacing it with a hex when I'm done.

Any insight as to WHY a lone bolt was a triple square?
Yep, to annoy all us DIYers. There is no engineering reason for Germans to continually use such oddball fasteners everywhere. I routinely change em out to standard hex/phillips/allen cause I hate getting stuck on lame fasteners that I can't find the tool for. This is certain to annoy German mechanics if they ever get their hands on my car.

Last edited by Topless; 10-14-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #169
flybird

Garage
All Good

Washed and waxed in the morning then off to play eighteen holes of golf. Enjoyed the washing and waxing then driving to and from the course better than the round of golf.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #170

Took mine down to our local Raceway in Sydney (Eastern Creek) to check out the Tracks you can Drive/Race on for less than $50 Aussie Dollars.

More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Bala.... ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid)....
Undo the Starter... cut off a used oil bottle about 3" high from the bottom... fill it a little over half way with ATF... then stand the starter up into it, with the gear/shaft into the oil (let soak - the longer the better)... (The only trick is supporting it so it doesnt fall over... I clamped mine into a small vise which worked well and supported a small oil resevoir)
Once its well submerged leave it for at least 24hrs... when ready take it out, wipe off all the oil and re-install it.
I left mine in for a few days and once a day i pulled it out and gave the gear a good spin at the end
One big piece of advise to get the bottom of the two bolts undone on the starter... get yourself a couple of long 1/2" extensions and undo that lower nut from access next to the alternator from within the car (have to remove the little hatch behind the seats) it makes life so much easier.

Heiko
Thanks for details. Definitely sounds like a just do.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #172
Homeboy981

Garage
[QUOTE=More;309952]Took mine down to our local Raceway in Sydney (Eastern Creek) to check out the Tracks you can Drive/Race on for less than $50 Aussie Dollars.

…$50 bucks!?! Wow! That is cheaper than Speed Zone for the night!

Wish we had something like that here. We pay a couple hundred, minimum! 'Course those are American dollars, which aren't worth as much since the Gov is printing them as fast as they can cut the trees!

Need a mate to race? For $50 it almost offsets the $1500 to fly there! We would only have to do 15-20 track days….got a place to stay? he-he
Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #173
Carnut

Washed/cleaned/vacuumed, got new rear tires.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #174

[QUOTE=Homeboy981;309970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
Took mine down to our local Raceway in Sydney (Eastern Creek) to check out the Tracks you can Drive/Race on for less than $50 Aussie Dollars.

…$50 bucks!?! Wow! That is cheaper than Speed Zone for the night!

Wish we had something like that here. We pay a couple hundred, minimum! 'Course those are American dollars, which aren't worth as much since the Gov is printing them as fast as they can cut the trees!

Need a mate to race? For $50 it almost offsets the $1500 to fly there! We would only have to do 15-20 track days….got a place to stay? he-he
You are welcome down under any time.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #175

Wash. Clay. Wax. Plexus.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #176
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Put it back on all 4's...

Great day...
Drove it like I stole it... tick, tick, tick... we all know that sound....
hit the coast after the brakes..
Rotors, Pads, & Calipers Completed
cocked and loaded...
Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #177

Garage
What a gorgeous day here today; It was 21deg C (70) today.. washed the BoxS, put about 68 miles on the odometer, took her to the park for some new pics and filled her up with fresh fuel... I think the days are getting numbered before crappy weather sets in.

Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #178

I waxed my Boxster and shined it up to a sparkling gleen, then took it down to San Diego in the rain to the 2 day Performance driving school and got it nice and dirty again.

Everyones car looked pristine on arrival, but between the wet and foamy skid pads, a light rain now and then and lots of brake dust we all got nice and dirty while having our fun.

A couple even washed their cars when they went home the first night. I don't know where they found the energy....they must of had their kids do it.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #179
Certified Boxster Addict

New Nitto NT-01's installed on the track wheels yesterday and swapped back to street wheels/tires. Today, replaced the spark plugs, both air filters, and fuel filter. Replaced the top microswitch (windows would lower on a big bump). Swapped in emergency front brake pads (one side was down to the metal, I don't use the sensors because they melt at the track). Vaccumed and washed. New brake pads and rotors next weekend.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #180
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Drove my 2000 'S' through Lake Lure and up to Black Mountain to visit a friend. Enjoyed the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Snapped this photo from phone driving home...little blurry since I was driving pretty fast.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote