Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2018, 03:18 AM   #4181

Just confirmed Center measurements with vernier and it’s 75mm. Euro spec 3.2 Boxster S. No cats in the headers just straight back to the joint that connects to the section with the cats and then onto to muffler as per the image below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:41 AM   #4182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
Just confirmed Center measurements with vernier and it’s 75mm. Euro spec 3.2 Boxster S. No cats in the headers just straight back to the joint that connects to the section with the cats and then onto to muffler as per the image below.
Huh. Thanks for taking the time to document this info for me!

That means that there are two (2) different versions of the non-cat 3-into-1 manifolds like you have out there, both visually the same design. But one version with roughly 65 mm c/c distances between the outlet flange studs, and another version with this dimension as 75 mm as yours are.

The factory's justification for changing this c/c bolting distance at some point in the model run remains an odd mystery!

In any case, apologies for the thread detour, and we now return back to our regularly scheduled program.

Thanks - DM

Last edited by Dave80GTSi; 04-24-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:49 PM   #4183

Drove mine to work after 10 days on the lift. New headers,cat delete, wheel bearings on all corners, Clutch, fly wheel, IMS bearing, new tires, and to finish it all off new rock guards. Ready to drive to Missouri for parade this year.
rocartfe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #4184

Started my summer 120 km round trip daily driver duty for the Boxster.
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #4185

Garage
Replaced the ignition switch.
Garymyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #4186

Garage
Send a message via AIM to philipjayadler Send a message via Yahoo to philipjayadler Send a message via Skype™ to philipjayadler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traco View Post
It’s a made in China one so probably someone doing them that side of the pond. I think I found the OEM so will have a look again and send you the info. Maybe you can ask them if they have someone in the US. I looked at a few and like this one as it had heavier side members and was open at rear and front for Center access.

I was also looking at Quick Lift which is half height. Pelican distributes them...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
philipjayadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #4187

cleaned out my Radiators today, so glad i did it! there was so much crap in there and a lot more in between the rad and condenser than i expected.

Also, while i had the bumper off, i removed the lower grills and sprayed them black. The faded grey color they had been from being 20+ years old really needed a refresh.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #4188

First decent weather of the year, so took the Box out of hibernation and on the road past Nelson to Kaslo.

After 12 years of ownership, driving it like the good doctor intended, I discovered the rev limiter today. I was passing a logging truck and thought I had time when the power went totally flat. WTF until I noticed the revs were around 7300. Oops.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #4189

Drove my Alfa Spider instead
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:00 PM   #4190

Still waiting on exhaust heat shields so just small stuff.

Cleaned calipers and replaced decals, mini tidy up as I’ll rebuild next winter.

Installed some new Center caps on the Cayman wheels. Originals were black so thought I’d try colour this summer.

Had a look at the new exhaust gaskets and bolts. Tabs wouldn’t allow them to slide over the bolt shoulders so sores that. You can see where one of the old ones was blowing and the way it was being eaten away.

2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:37 AM   #4191
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
First decent weather of the year, so took the Box out of hibernation and on the road past Nelson to Kaslo.

After 12 years of ownership, driving it like the good doctor intended, I discovered the rev limiter today. I was passing a logging truck and thought I had time when the power went totally flat. WTF until I noticed the revs were around 7300. Oops.

haha
lovely ride! Looks like mine, when I picked it up 18 years ago in Zuffenhausen. Good memories. I still say, that seal gray and amber is an awesome combination.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #4192
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Installed the Wolfsburg Tuning spinlocks after plugging in, and securing, the roll bar mesh grills I picked up the other day.

Looking for an inexpensive red, 3-spoke, airbag for a 98 Boxster.

Thank you.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #4193

Finished installing Alpine amp in frunk, audio upgrade almost complete only need to tune system and install the passenger footwell sub. Sound is awsome.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #4194

Finished 2017-2018 winter maint

Finished up my winter 2017-2018 maint and took it out for a quick run! In prep for this season:

- Oil and filter change (filter exam and mag drain plug were a-ok)
- Drilled access hole in pan and did the transaxle/gearbox oil change (Porsche unicorn fluid)
- GBox 2nd gear detent (preventive, not having any popout problems)
- Porsche Genuine AOS
- TechnoBrace
- Zimmerman Z rotors and Akebono PC pads
- Had minor crack in rear Carrera Light rim lip repaired and all rims refinished in correct Seal Gray/Artic Silver with clear powder coat
- Replaced BMC oiled air filter with stock Mahl paper filter
- Replaced Borla muffler with Brombacher ‘sound version’ muffler (love it)
- Replaced broken driver side sun visor mirror cover and applied a new airbag blackout decal

Ready for the spring / summer season
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 04-28-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #4195

I've been in California for a week, drove my friend's 99 base Boxster over to the Petersen Automotive Museum a couple of times. The first time I saw everything, including the current Porsche and Ferrari exhibits. The second time I met up with the legendary THStone and had lunch! I also installed a new shift knob/boot on my friend's Boxtser, even managed to pull the old one off without hitting myself in the head with it. The internet is very sketchy here, I'll post some pictures of the Petersen Museum cars when I get back home. If anyone here is in Southern California or is planning to be, the Petersen Museum has to be on your must-see list!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #4196

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Finished up my winter 2017-2018 maint and took it out for a quick run! In prep for this season:

- Oil and filter change (filter exam and mag drain plug were a-ok)
- Drilled access hole in pan and did the transaxle/gearbox oil change (Porsche unicorn fluid)
- GBox 2nd gear detent (preventive, not having any popout problems)
- Porsche Genuine AOS
- TechnoBrace
- Zimmerman Z rotors and Akebono PC pads
- Had minor crack in rear Carrera Light rim lip repaired and all rims refinished in correct Seal Gray/Artic Silver with clear powder coat
- Replaced BMC oiled air filter with stock Mahl paper filter
- Replaced Borla muffler with Brombacher ‘sound version’ muffler (love it)
- Replaced broken driver side sun visor mirror cover and applied a new airbag blackout decal

Ready for the spring / summer season
OldcarGuy; Just curious as to why you went from oiled air filter to dry air filter?
Also, would like to hear your Brombacher some day; I'd like to go that route.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #4197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
OldcarGuy; Just curious as to why you went from oiled air filter to dry air filter?
Also, would like to hear your Brombacher some day; I'd like to go that route.
Second that on the brombacher!

I been curious how loud running a NHP 200 cell header with stock mid cats and a brombacher might be. Was reading runing that header with stock exhaust maintains low end torque, while bumping the mid range up too.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #4198
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Curious: what hole did you need to drill? I'm waiting for unicorn fluid myself, but I understood there to be a drain plug already in the transaxle?
What'd I miss?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #4199

Garage
horn frame adjustment

I adjusted my horn framework again. Spent at least 2 hours working on getting less sensitive.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Curious: what hole did you need to drill? I'm waiting for unicorn fluid myself, but I understood there to be a drain plug already in the transaxle?
What'd I miss?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Fill plug is no problem but without drilling a hole, you have to remove the metal plate completely to get to the drain plug. Its just a time saving thing. Removing the plate isn't that big a deal and gear oil is a 90K mile maintenance item. If you plan to keep your car a long long time, drill the hole!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote