Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #3461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
CBRacerX,

I just bought a lambskin leather jacket from the thrift store for $5. I used the standard contact cement in the small brown colored bottle from Lowes/Home Depot. I di not use any felt or backing but just cleaned the pieces the same was as the console and then carefully covered. Photos attached and very pleased with results.

Thanks, I have very thin lambskin ready to use. Did you apply the contact cement to to both surfaces and wait for it to skin over? Or just to the part you were putting the leather on?

CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #3462

I noticed when doing the new clutch, flywheel, etc. that the throttle body needed a good cleaning. I removed the TB and cleaned it thoroughly and also cleaned the MAF, reinstalled and all good. I did notice what looked like an oil leak from the filler hose that attaches to the block. I'm hoping to find a DIY on changing that out.
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #3463

Leather Trim

Apply a thin coat to both surfaces. Let it tack up (about 15 minutes). It will be basically dry to the touch. I usually started in the centerline of the part and marked the centerline on the part and on the material with one of my wife's white fabric pencils. I did all of the parts a small section at a time because when the two surfaces come in contact with one another they really stick together.

The leather will have a stretch in one direction and not so much in the other. Play around with it first on the part dry so you get comfortable fitting it to the part. And leave about 1/4" overlap or slightly more to adhere it to the backside of the part.

Take you time and I'm sure it will turn out great. Good luck!
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #3464

Got and test fit my ducktail today. Love it. Can't wait until its painted. The quality is exceptional!
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Solid job there [another] oldcarguy

Incidentally, "flow" rate will actually be higher than 77%. The 77% rate is amount of stagnant fill with mesh versus wide open. The flow rate could be a bit lower than wide open but won't drop anywhere near theoretical 23% based on amount of fill the mesh provides.

I did similar (IIRC rated at 80% fill) 5-6 years back on my 997 C2S. Even after numerous HPDEs in 95F hazy, hot, and humid weather w/ 30+ min sessions, only effect has been easier cleaning of condensers & rads... No to mention, I haven't had to replace one AC condensers since installing mesh either - wish I'd done after I lost first one years ago... Bottom line, I have experienced ZERO negative impact to cooling efficiency/capabilities (as nay-sayers to this mod will try and proclaim).

Good luck
Hi Burg, thanks! And thanks for the clarification regarding stagnant fill vs flow rate. Good to know that your real world experience supports this mod. I just could not leave two condensers and three radiators in the open for street driving. I made a similar mod for the oil cooler on my R1100s.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #3466
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Got and test fit my ducktail today. Love it. Can't wait until its painted. The quality is exceptional!
Paint your bumper guards!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #3467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Paint your bumper guards!

Good idea Ill look into that.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #3468

Activated race car mode for Le Mans.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #3469

The Best!

Wrong thread? Post your best Boxster Pic

Unless that's not your best shot, then I can't wait to see your car here again. It is amazingly cool, I love it
Old 06-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #3470
POG champ, 1995.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by That986 View Post
Activated race car mode for Le Mans.
lol Nice Lotus.

What are those wheels from?
ryanjboutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #3471

Garage
Finally changed out the oem twists for Carrera light II's

But something is missing...
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #3472

Today I washed the car and installed the new center caps from Fred.

I really need to do something about those bolts...

Last edited by fridsten; 06-05-2017 at 12:58 AM.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #3473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
omg just saw that. Insanely beautiful and cool. Needs pics in an evening + street lighting backdrop. That should kill good
Old 06-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #3474

Thursday night I drove down to New Jersey Motorsports Park for HPDE at Thunderbolt. On the way I scored a set of Weather Tech floor mats for the Boxster S from a Craigslist ad that was literally right on the way. $30 for a set of gray mats was a great deal.

HPDE was a blast, I made some real improvements over the 2 days. Still not comfortable with how much speed the Boxster S can carry into the first turn at the end of the front straight but I'm getting there. I got the line down pretty good, made smoother turns. got used to tapping the brakes to set the car and used the whole track. My instructor signed me off to go out alone for the last session, but I elected to have him ride with me anyway. My instructor's car was a 991 GT3 with PDK, so I asked him to take me out for a few laps - that was impressive!

In one of the higher groups, someone totaled a 993S. Apparently he got his outside wheels on the outside rumble strip coming onto the main straight, and when he brought his outside wheels back onto the track the car turned sharply right and went directly straight into the pit wall. Both airbags deployed and the driver and instructor were unhurt.

In my green run group someone spun their 944 off the track and bashed in the front pretty hard, but no one was hurt. That resulted in a black flag and our session ended about 5 minutes early. On my way home I started hearing a drone at the back of my car at highway speeds, I think it may be a wheel bearing or CV joint starting to go, will have that checked out before heading up to Mt. Tremblant in mid June.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #3475
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paule View Post
in one of the higher groups, someone totaled a 993s.
argggghhh!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #3476

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
lol Nice Lotus.

What are those wheels from?
It takes inspiration from a few of the race cars tbh as there's a bit of BMW, Porsche and Lotus in there so it's bit of a mongrel really. Don't tell anyone but I don't even have Recaro seats or Koni shocks either.

The wheels are from a first gen Panamera.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:26 AM   #3477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
The Best!

Wrong thread? Post your best Boxster Pic

Unless that's not your best shot, then I can't wait to see your car here again. It is amazingly cool, I love it
I'll wait for better pics before I do that. Me and a friend are travelling to Le Mans in the car next week so hopefully there should be some good photo opportunities then.

Thanks for the nice words btw, appreciated.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #3478

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
omg just saw that. Insanely beautiful and cool. Needs pics in an evening + street lighting backdrop. That should kill good
Thanks man! Waiting for some good weather, I think today is the day!
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #3479

Garage
Just bought a limited edition 1963 901. In really good shape, clear coat is still shiny and it looks like it will be great at "perking" me up on those slow days. Oh, and it's kind of rare...#370 of 1,000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #3480
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
That is very cool. Were you looking for one? Or did you just find it?

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote