Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #3261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
Left it in the garage, took the new member of the fleet on its first road trip instead...

Hey you're now in my neck of the woods! Coming to see the tulips (that aren't open yet?)

Dave

Old 04-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #3262
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Replaced the sun visors what had the common broken off door problem with ones that have intact doors. Was pleased to see that they both light up when you open the doors. Need to cleaned.

Much less pleasant was adjusting the clutch pedal return spring. Took the heating duct out that partially blocks the view of the bracket and was able to loosen 2 out of the three bolts, but the last one I simply couldn't get a wrench on, socket or open ended, even though the open ended are thin. Finally resorted to brute force and was able to move the bracket against the resistance of the last bolt. Got all of the play out and then took the car out for a test drive. Cruise control worked perfectly.

Oh, another little thorn in the ointment. Took the cruise control switch out to improve visibility. When I put it in again I managed to open the switch and the spring fell out. Not obvious how to reassemble it again, but fortunately the old switch showed me how. Next time I have to remember to turn on the black part of the switch, not the red.

Then off to Porsches and Coffee in Tiverton RI.

Nice meeting Anker and his wife at the C&C. Nice turn out today, maybe 30 or so cars. It seems many members took advantage of the mid-60's sunny day to awaken their prized P cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:30 PM   #3263

Garage
Replaced heater core, unplugged drains, replaced full interior carpet and cleaned entire interior. Long day.

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #3264

Garage
Porsches and Coffee i Tiverton, RI. Had a blast, quite a few Boxsters of various vintages there. Spent a lot of time chatting with Gary Cooper. Our wives also had fun together. Had so much fun that I forgot to take pictures. After that we drove to Newport, had lunch overlooking the harbor and drove the mansion circuit. We planned to drive all the way home on the back roads, but bailed out after about an hour and took the freeway.

Love my Boxster and really enjoy the PCA crowd!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:52 AM   #3265

Garage
Refinished my BBS Sport Design Wheels

i realized ex post that the attachment method I chose placed the pics full size and made the text hard to read.

I deleted my original text and pics and reuploaded them with better formatting

Just scroll down

If I can figure out how to remove these oversized images I will -- they are in the amended post below

Last edited by Cbonilla; 04-10-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Bad Formatting
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #3266
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Nice work, Cbonilla! Sport Design are such a sharp looking wheel, and good you could save them (like you say, if they hold up) They look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #3267

Garage
Thanks. Here's a pic from further away.

Last edited by Cbonilla; 04-10-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #3268

Garage
Decided to repost not using the paperclip icon at the top of the dialogue box and instead use the "attach a photo" link that promises to resize my pics and hopefully let me place them in the right place in my text.

Refinished my BBS Sport Design wheels with Duplicolor spray cans.

Partially refinished I should add, because the wheel centers were in OK condition, far better than the perimeters. These are BBS Sport Design wheels, all of which seem to suffer from corrosion in the finish on the perimeter of the rim. My sense is that this arises because the wheel centers do not perfectly seal on the rim (they don't need to actually) and let cleaning agents drip out over time long after you think that you've rinsed it all off, and proceed to eat up the finish. My belief is reinforced by the fact that the damage was not uniform and instead was localized. Moreover, on one occassion when a zealous detailer used some strong chemicals, the next morning I could see bubbling in the finish of all the wheels at the 6:00 position.

I know that the proper way to do these is to remove the 20 titanium bolts and take each wheel apart. This was more than I wanted to undertake, and I know that if you do this you run the risk of snapping off a bolt (they are set with Locktite), hopefully leaving enough of a stub to get a grip on them and still remove them. Instead I carefully hand sanded the perimters. Used 150 wet or dry sand paper followed by 220 and 400.

The first picture is my wheels before this work.

Here is what they looked like after sanding. My goal was to remove the visible corrosion completely and then abrade the remainder to provide a tooth for the new finish. Hopefully without damaging the finish on the centers as I they were in OK shape.

I know the wheel centers don't look that great in the before pics. They are just dirty and clean up quite well. See the "finished" picture

Next pic is the wheels after sanding

After a thorogh cleaning and allowing them to dry in the sun, I masked the wheels using index cards between the wheels and tire, blue painters tape between the two parts of the wheel (trimmed with a razor knife following the seam between the two parts of the wheel) and a damp folded towel over the centers.

Important: You remember how I talked of how cleaners slowly leaked out throught the wheel seams? I used an aircompresser to blow the water out of that seam after letting the wheels dry in the sun. Without the air compresser water would have continued to slowly dribble out onto the finish before it was fully cured. The damage at the 6:00 position that I noted earlier was the morning after a detailer cleaned them followed by a 40 mile drive.

Finally the finished wheel perimeter. That was after 3 coats of Duplicolor self etching primer (DAP 1690), four coats of color (HWP101 Silver) and three coats of Matte Clear (HWP106)

I did both wheels on one side working from noon to 7:00 PM. We'll see how they hold up over time, but for now I'm pleased. My expectations for this project were far exceeded. My initial goal was for them to be just "better." I would say that the are 90-95% - pleasantly surprised, both in the quality of my work and how well the Duplicolor matched the finish on the wheel centers.

Two down, two to go.

Last edited by Cbonilla; 04-11-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #3269

Garage
Yesterday, when I started the Boxster to drive down to Tiverton the cruise control light went out and no amount of pressing on the button at the end of the stalk would turn it on. I got really concerned that my work Saturday could have toasted the cruise control module. So today I went back under the steering wheel. First I changed back to the old clutch switch, just in case the new one was bad - no success. Then I removed the cover over the stalk switch and pulled it out and bingo - back in operation.

I can't find a replacement for the flaky switch anywhere. Not in the Porsche parts catalog, nor on Pelican. Its obviously a very generic two position switch, but no indication of who makes it. I am tempted to solder a wire right across the switch terminals and leave the cruise control module on all the time. That will also allow me to remove the switch and try to find a replacement.

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #3270

Garage
Finished first wax job, then while driving around got a thumbs up from a Porsche as he drove past me. I've only had this car for a month it's been great.
Gjohn3707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #3271
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Cleaned my windows inside and out....This homemade glass cleaner is great.....2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon Dawn, and 1/4 cup white vinegar. I also replace the door light bulbs, and dome bulb with the 194 LED's from AliExpress.com. 10 bulbs for less than 3.50 which included shipping. Long wait on receiving them from China. Big difference in the inside lighting.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #3272

Replaced the Ignition switch

and what a PITA! But at least the starter disengages without having to turn the key manually
stanigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #3273

Garage
Woot!! Put my brand new license plates on the car....amazing how much I was able to do to the car between purchase and when the DOL decided to give me my plates:

* de-amber the car
* Porsche Decal on the door
* 986 rear trunk emblem
* Wind screens in the roll bar
* Oil, Filter, Air Filter, wipers - lots of maintenance stuff
* Battery tender
* Toss the locking lug bolts, go to basic
* Second (new) Porsche Key (yikes, that was spendy)
* new rear window (plastic)

and to top it all off - a nice new
* car cover

Time to start working on the wheels/springs while I wait for the 987 Sport Plus seats to get here.... :dance:

2006 987 S - daily Black/Black (sold)
ToddRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #3274
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Sharp looking car there sir.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:25 AM   #3275

Garage
Love the yellow roll bar
Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Yesterday, when I started the Boxster to drive down to Tiverton the cruise control light went out and no amount of pressing on the button at the end of the stalk would turn it on. I got really concerned that my work Saturday could have toasted the cruise control module. So today I went back under the steering wheel. First I changed back to the old clutch switch, just in case the new one was bad - no success. Then I removed the cover over the stalk switch and pulled it out and bingo - back in operation.

I can't find a replacement for the flaky switch anywhere. Not in the Porsche parts catalog, nor on Pelican. Its obviously a very generic two position switch, but no indication of who makes it. I am tempted to solder a wire right across the switch terminals and leave the cruise control module on all the time. That will also allow me to remove the switch and try to find a replacement.

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.
Husker Boxster in the classifieds had a stalk set with a broken cruise control stalk. Looks like someone wanted the removable OBC stalk but maybe you can get the guts out of the broken cruise stalk from him or someone else?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #3277

Garage
Removed some tacky plasti-dip from the previous owner and also discovered that the recent locking/unlocking issue that suddenly cropped up was due to the roof locking mechanism not quite engaging the microswitch correctly. Problem solved. Dropped the roof and went for an hour long drive through Hockley Valley and Forks of the Credit. Now I remember why I bought this car!

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #3278
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The steering rack has had a slow leak since I got my 2000 and I finally swapped out the rack today. It was actually much easier than I expected. One of the old tie rods was obviously bent and a boot full of fluid. Planning to get the alignment done after the weekend. Until then, the steering wheel is straight and it shows a slight toe-in, so basically driveable.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #3279

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRu View Post
Woot!! Put my brand new license plates on the car....amazing how much I was able to do to the car between purchase and when the DOL decided to give me my plates:

* Porsche Decal on the door

Hey Todd,

I have this type of lettering for my 02 S as well. The same as yours, but a different color. (House of Grafx? A competitor? Mind saying who?) Any lessons learned to share? I'll probably have a pro shop install it for me, but it's always good to have tips to tell them.

Nice looking car, btw. Great colors!

Dave
Old 04-16-2017, 04:19 AM   #3280

I reckon it was about time the radiators were cleaned?

I painted the grilles and installed some black mesh while I was at it:

Then the little one helped me clean it:

Nevergrowup is offline   Reply With Quote