Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #4461
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Painted the amber tail lights with VHT Night Shades red. I did 3 coats and the top is definitely a bit darker than the bottom, but it's really not that noticeable in person. After 2 coats, the match was very close, but I could still see some orange in the sunlight.

They look stunning! I can't wait to see them on the car

They will be replacing Dectane LED tail lights. I installed the Dectane set because I really liked the all red look, but after a couple years, I'm really not liking the design.

I'm going to let them cure for a few days, then polish. I may also add some 35% vinyl tint to enhance my monochrome look, but I'm not sure yet.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8ked View Post
After nearly getting rear ended by a texting driver this morning.

I finally installed a Brake Light Flasher on my middle brake light this afternoon. I had put one on my other car a year ago, but never got around to installing this one on the Boxster. It's a simple install and I'm glad to have finally done it. Now when I hit the brakes it flashes 3 times quickly and then stays on as long as the break pedal is depressed.
Does it do any good?, well I can't say. But with all the inept drivers (it's an overstatement to refer to them as drivers) on the road, what can it hurt?
Last I check, most states will ticket drivers for a unauthorized use of a flashing red light... whether applied by brake pedal, switch in cabin or even depressing the break pedal you have in your vehicle.

Doubt any such devices are DOT or NHTSA approved... but good luck
Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #4463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Last I check, most states will ticket drivers for a unauthorized use of a flashing red light... whether applied by brake pedal, switch in cabin or even depressing the break pedal you have in your vehicle.

Doubt any such devices are DOT or NHTSA approved... but good luck
It's legal in Indiana.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #4464

Garage
Lew,
It's similar to the video, but the one I installed flashes four times quickly when the brake is applied and then just stays solid red until I let off on the pedal.

My neighbor said the local Audi dealer offers it as a dealer installed option on all their new cars.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #4465

Much respect and love to you as a fellow human being and as a fellow Porschephile...

But I just want you to know there will be people behind you who will be loudly cursing your annoying/flashing brake lights. Myself included. Words can't express how much I hate those things.

The Audi dealership will be happy to offer you paint sealant, an extended warranty, and pinstripes with all new cars, too, but that doesn't mean they are a good idea. Just ways of padding the profit.

Last edited by Dr. Acula; 08-07-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Dr. Acula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #4466
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
But I just want you to know there will be people behind you who will be loudly cursing your annoying/flashing brake lights. Myself included. Words can't express how much I hate those things.
This sounds like a personal problem.
You may want to consider (ask your therapist to help you) why you have such an unreasonable reaction to something so innocuous?

Personally, I put these flashing brake lights in the same category as flashing headlights on motorcycles: I understand what you're trying to do, but I question the effectiveness. Are there any studies that suggest or indicate any success in using them?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 AM   #4467
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
This sounds like a personal problem.
You may want to consider (ask your therapist to help you) why you have such an unreasonable reaction to something so innocuous?

Personally, I put these flashing brake lights in the same category as flashing headlights on motorcycles: I understand what you're trying to do, but I question the effectiveness. Are there any studies that suggest or indicate any success in using them?

I think one is more focused on a red flashing light than not. I know I am, and we all know why they make Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:58 AM   #4468
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I think one is more focused on a red flashing light than not. I know I am, and we all know why they make Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream.
O I understand this, perfectly. I mean, that's the point, right? But Lew, would it drive you to "curse loudly" at the person in front of you?

It's this disproportionate response that I'm suggesting is unreasonable, not the dislike of flashing red lights.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #4469
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
O I understand this, perfectly. I mean, that's the point, right? But Lew, would it drive you to "curse loudly" at the person in front of you?

It's this disproportionate response that I'm suggesting is unreasonable, not the dislike of flashing red lights.

You ever been rear ended? I have three times and put in the hospital twice. The last time it totaled my wife's car, and the first was a man that was a State Farm Insurance agent ran a red light and drove my car into 4 other cars. That also put me in the hospital and the car was totaled. I sued State Farm who I presently had two cars insured with and made won a nice settlement. However I wished I had never been rear ended. My neck has never been the same since. So, there you go! That should explain why I am more focused on any light flashing red. It's not a problem for me if the car has the blinking third light. From what I see it only blinks three times and then stays on with out blinking anymore. I might mention what is annoying is the jacked up Pickup's that the head lights are not adjusted properly since the vehicle has been jacked up. Coming at you we are somewhat blinded, and from the rear, it's not good either. If I was a insurance company I would not insure the jacked up Pickup's until the lights were adjusted properly. Sometime I see these cars racing up behind me when I am stopped and I tap my brake several time to flash my rear lights.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #4470
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Flashing brake lights are irresponsible, selfish and dangerous.
Have you ever been in a traffic jam, crawling along, and the car 2 lanes over and 5 cars up has one?
It's very distracting and almost caused me to rear end the car in front of me more than once.

Flashing lights are for emergency vehicles only and if someone claims they're legal in their state, city or county, I'll show you the law that says they're not.

Just because a dealer offers them as an option doesn't make them legal. Being illegal doesn't mean that you'll get pulled over or ticketed for it. I think it's in a gray area right now, but if enough people had them, there'd be an outright ban.

Can you imagine if even 1/3 of the cars on the road had these?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #4471
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Have you ever been in a traffic jam, crawling along, and the car 2 lanes over and 5 cars up has one?
It's very distracting and almost caused me to rear end the car in front of me more than once.

Flashing lights are for emergency vehicles only and if someone claims they're legal in their state, city or county, I'll show you the law that says they're not.

Just because a dealer offers them as an option doesn't make them legal. Being illegal doesn't mean that you'll get pulled over or ticketed for it. I think it's in a gray area right now, but if enough people had them, there'd be an outright ban.

PW,

I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I did make a change to my third brake light. The only thing I have done and will do was to install 7 LED'S. My objective was to make it much brighter and it is now, and I like it that way.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #4472
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
PW,

I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I did make a change to my third brake light. The only thing I have done and will do was to install 7 LED'S. My objective was to make it much brighter and it is now, and I like it that way.
Just my opinion, but I think this is the appropriate way to go. Most LED tail lights are painfully bright (I know mine are ).
Old 08-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #4473
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Made the Boxster less embarrassed with its garagemate’s shoes.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #4474

Garage
Changed out the Serpentine Belt @40088 miles; pretty easy
Old 08-12-2018, 03:09 AM   #4475

Yesterday the beast went onto the lift for the first time in the new man cave . I have been working on the 2 car garage for about a year and am getting close to completion . I let the oil drain over night this morning will be change the oil filter and button her up . Also going to install the new wheels I purchased 2 years ago as the rear tires are now shot on her . Anyway here she is in her new home .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #4476

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

The unit i use flashes fast 3 times then stays solid, it will not flash again until you are off the brake for more than 8 seconds. I don’t think the third brake light it bright enough to annoy people during the day but maybe at night? I will have to get somebody to drive my car and I follow lol
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #4477

Well here she is with the new wheels and tires , the wheels are JR Motorsport that I bought off a forum member two years ago . They are 18 x 8 + 18 x 10 and fit with no issues so they are the proper offset . The tires are Sumitomo HTRZ III's . I like how they look what do you guys think ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:23 PM   #4478
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Loving the tail lights

(please disregard my garage mess...doing some concrete work)

Last edited by particlewave; 08-13-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:05 AM   #4479
MWS

Quote:
Loving the tail lights
Nice! Looks really good on your white car; kinda like your personalized plate too.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:22 AM   #4480

Jacked it up, drained the oil. The oil still looked golden (3200 miles). No metal flakes on the drain plug, nothing in the filter. Sending out a sample to blackstone this week.
Put on a new oil filter canister, and replaced the oil pressure relief valve with the updated 987 part.
Hopefully this fixes my tick at idle when the car is hot.

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote