Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Garage
Window Tilt Function Problems.

So lets see here. When you open the door on a boxster, and most newer convertible cars for that matter, the window drops about a quarter to a half an inch. When closed, the window moves back up and seals against the weather trim.

On my car, the passenger side seems to work flawlessly. However; on the driver's side, when I open the door, it drops down, but as soon as I let go of the handle (Both inside or out), the window pops back up. This means if I'm not paying attention, the window slaps into the convertible top, scaring me, and forcing me to hold the handle as i close it.

What is wrong?? I assume there is a microswitch of some sort? or maybe its a function built into the window regulator or door lock assembly.

I'm sure some one else has run into this problem. Help please

Thanks!
~Brad

Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #2

If it does the same thing whether you pull on the inside or outside door handle, then it's the microswitch inside the door lock assembly.

This is a common problem that has been written up here before. Do a search and you should find all the info you need to replace the assembly. Porsche does not sell the microswitch separately.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #3

Garage
Wonderful. Thanks Maurice!!

Are we talking about this peice?

However; The problem is some-what intermittent. The other forums seem to suggest that it could just be wiring, would the intermittance be cause by that?

Last edited by Mrmaddbrad; 09-18-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
It happens to my car too… It is not intermittent, it happens all the $%^& time!

I have taken apart the micro switch…TWICE! Tried to clean it, tried to reseat it. No luck. Guess I'm buying a new door handle? Is that really the only option?

Just wanted you to know you weren't the only one. Good description BTW. Yes there is info out there but I have not had much luck with it. My $.02

Let me know how you solve it.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Wonderful. Thanks Maurice!!

Are we talking about this peice?

However; The problem is some-what intermittent. The other forums seem to suggest that it could just be wiring, would the intermittance be cause by that?
The link to the part did not work. I believe it is part #14 in this diagram: Porsche Boxster Door In White Parts

The intermittent nature of the window drop function could be caused by the microswitch itself or by the wiring leading to it. I believe there was a post here about two years ago where one poster had success in repairing the assembly by just flowing some solder onto the connections that lead into the assembly to re-establish contact. His problem with the window drop was also intermittent.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Garage
I can confirm that when my window acted exactly the same way a while back, I replaced the part Maurice references above and the problem was solved. It was not too dificult to replace (took maybe an hour and a half ), but you will need a special wrench to remove the assembly. I think it was called a triple square wrench (?), but was available at the local auto parts store.
Good luck!!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks guys!!

This was the picture i was trying to post....

https://www.ssfautoparts.com/storefront/CatalogSearch/imagehandler.aspx?sequence=4359311&pn=8N1837015C&mf=100&l3=POR

$141.61 at my cost... Genuine Porsche only. Welp, worth a shot! Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Mrmaddbrad; 09-19-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #8

I've written a response to another thread on this topic back in 2010. I am placing a little more photo for clarity. Here my $0.02 worth. my car, MY 2001
informational only
My car developed intermittent on/off of the "lock switch LED" while driving. LED on/off was annoying, but it became critical when I could not lock the car.
Since my thought was that I needed to buy new mechanism, -what the heck, i took it apart.
Here's some photos during the dis assembly. I don't know if i can upload photos in correct sequence and hope that my descriptions identify the correct photos.

First two photos are the door mechanism; cream plastic cover photo faces the outside, the black body faces the passenger compartment.

The blue & red wires go to the switch that indicates whether the sissor-like jaw pieces that grabs the door striker is open or close.
I believe if this switch is faulty, one symptom is that the moment you release the door handle, the window will go full up.

After taking the plastic cover off, the printed wiring board (breen) is exposed. You can see the connector to which the door harness attaches to is soldered to the printed wiring board.

This is where I found a bad solder joint and by re-flowing the solder, I was able to restore function.
the assembly is a little challenging to put back.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
I've written a response to another thread on this topic back in 2010. I am placing a little more photo for clarity. Here my $0.02 worth. my car, MY 2001
informational only
My car developed intermittent on/off of the "lock switch LED" while driving. LED on/off was annoying, but it became critical when I could not lock the car.
Since my thought was that I needed to buy new mechanism, -what the heck, i took it apart.
Here's some photos during the dis assembly. I don't know if i can upload photos in correct sequence and hope that my descriptions identify the correct photos.

First two photos are the door mechanism; cream plastic cover photo faces the outside, the black body faces the passenger compartment.

The blue & red wires go to the switch that indicates whether the sissor-like jaw pieces that grabs the door striker is open or close.
I believe if this switch is faulty, one symptom is that the moment you release the door handle, the window will go full up.

After taking the plastic cover off, the printed wiring board (breen) is exposed. You can see the connector to which the door harness attaches to is soldered to the printed wiring board.

This is where I found a bad solder joint and by re-flowing the solder, I was able to restore function.
the assembly is a little challenging to put back.
EXCELLENT POST!! I have taken lock off twice now! This part has been ruining my P-Car enjoyment! I will dismantle and look at the solder this time! Third time is a charm, right? If not, I will AT LEAST get the joy of winging the darn part across the garage and ordering a new one!

Thanks for the awesome insight! You guys r smart!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #10

sb01box: Thanks for going to the trouble of posting more photos for your fix. Excellent post that should help lots of owners with this common problem.

Anyone else attempting this fix should also post photos of what they have found as the cause of failure for their particular assembly.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 09-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.