View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
I've written a response to another thread on this topic back in 2010. I am placing a little more photo for clarity. Here my $0.02 worth. my car, MY 2001
informational only
My car developed intermittent on/off of the "lock switch LED" while driving. LED on/off was annoying, but it became critical when I could not lock the car.
Since my thought was that I needed to buy new mechanism, -what the heck, i took it apart.
Here's some photos during the dis assembly. I don't know if i can upload photos in correct sequence and hope that my descriptions identify the correct photos.

First two photos are the door mechanism; cream plastic cover photo faces the outside, the black body faces the passenger compartment.

The blue & red wires go to the switch that indicates whether the sissor-like jaw pieces that grabs the door striker is open or close.
I believe if this switch is faulty, one symptom is that the moment you release the door handle, the window will go full up.

After taking the plastic cover off, the printed wiring board (breen) is exposed. You can see the connector to which the door harness attaches to is soldered to the printed wiring board.

This is where I found a bad solder joint and by re-flowing the solder, I was able to restore function.
the assembly is a little challenging to put back.
EXCELLENT POST!! I have taken lock off twice now! This part has been ruining my P-Car enjoyment! I will dismantle and look at the solder this time! Third time is a charm, right? If not, I will AT LEAST get the joy of winging the darn part across the garage and ordering a new one!

Thanks for the awesome insight! You guys r smart!