Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #21

Garage
Lightng SVT,

Another word of advice, regardless of what the current owner or dealership might say, never rely solely on their word, and purchase an expensive vehicle sight unseen. People's assessment of a vehicle relative to it's condition and mechanical well being can be extremely subjective. And, if you're any sort of a perfectionist, you'll invariably be disappointed by the opinion of someone who is not. You really need to closely scrutinize each and every vehicle that you're considering, or have someone that you can trust do it .

Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #22

Mr. Danger your advice is so true and that is what has been the biggest factor in me not pulling the trigger on an out of state vehicle. I do tend to have overly high expectations in my vehicles and things in general, I dont know if we need to say perfectionist though. For example went to a dealer today to look at an 09 M3 and 05 911 (I know, I know but have to see what else is out there). 911 was actually in great shape, M3 was said to be like new but when I got there it was dirty and had scuffs on the drivers side, stone chips on the front and some chips on the pass side plus some spot on the headliner, how do you get the headliner dirty????? So perfect illustration of your point.

They did have a brand spankin shiny new 2012 Base model, triple black, pretty loaded except sport chrono / pasm, 19's for $47k (purchase) which is $10k off sticker. Lease for $595/mo with $800 due at signing. Could probably finance for $450 - 550/mo with big down pmt. Not what Ive been looking for but seems almost to good to pass up and its new and prefect. Im starting to debate if the extra money is worth having a perfect car or if I could buy a car for $20-30k and be OK with and expect damage that is normal with age?

I saw the blue 08 today and man it is not perfect like that dealer said eith, surprise. Top and interior did seem pretty min though. Does repainting a car like a Boxster, or even just a few panels negatively affect its value since its not original paint? But I guess it'd not show up on a Carfax. I have 2 excellent body shops I deal with and could live with having to repaint a bumper cover or hood to make a car mint.
LightngSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
Livin' a dream!

Garage
When it speaks to you

When it speaks to you, you'll know. Buying this kind of car is not an exercise in practicality. Seems like you like the bright colors. They're obviously look amazing. I've been super happy with my car because I waited until I found the color I wanted. Such a small thing. My budget was more modest, and I busted it by PLENTY when I finally had to 'pull the trigger'. Made lots of mistakes in the process:

Get a Pre-Purschase Inspection!

Then drive it like the good doctor intended!

greenandtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #24

Just needed to vent, I came across an 08 RS60 (my ideal Boxster) with 35k miles at a Honda dealer on the East cost for $31.8k last night. Tried to get a hold of them today and the car was sold this afternoon. @#$% #$% %^&@ $#^&!!!!!!!!!! Oh I'm so mad as that was the deal (or steal) of the century! Thats the first time Ive seen one under $40k, Well Ok I did see one for $38.9k once with close to 50k miles. Dang it, dang it, dang it.

LightngSVT is offline   Reply With Quote