Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
Are u one of those owners who....

let your Boxster break first before u fix it or do u replace things in a systematic manner to prevent a breakdown(heaven forbid 200 miles from home!?)? I must confess I am the former as I don't believe in replacing parts that are still good. I have the IMS Guardian as a forewarner of IMS failure. Comments?

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
let your Boxster break first before u fix it or do u replace things in a systematic manner to prevent a breakdown(heaven forbid 200 miles from home!?)? I must confess I am the former as I don't believe in replacing parts that are still good. I have the IMS Guardian as a forewarner of IMS failure. Comments?
I am a new 986 owner, so I am learning as I go. My methodology to vehicle maintenance has traditionally been to fix it when it needs it, at the very first signs. I do not put things off, however I do not see myself preemptively replacing parts that are functioning properly. I wouldn’t have been able to afford my wheels if I had!
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

I replace parts that I know will need replacing sooner than later based on forum comments. For example, I'm swapping out my front motor mount because the one in there now is 40k miles old now.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

I'll do all the scheduled maintenance, plus I'll change out the water pump and front mount every four years or so. I will try and change out my clutch about a month before it fails, and will do the rms/ims stuff then too. Apart from that, let it break.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #5

It all depends what it is. Some parts are best replaced before they break. Some parts can fail before I replace them. The biggest decision factor is, "what happens when this part breaks?" If it failing doesn't cause any damage then it can wait. The second factor is, "what does it cost to replace?" If it's affordable now or worth the risk later.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #6

I replace things in vehicles the same way the aviation industry does. Which is to say that most of it is done "on condition". Infant mortality of parts is something to consider, so is maintenance induced failure. A proven piece of equipment that is functioning properly is a known quantity...A new part and installation is an unknown quantity. That being said, there are "life limited" parts on any vehicle: Timing belt/chain/tensioner, spark plugs, filters, fluids, etc...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #7

Garage
Routine maintenance is just that. It's routine (common and expected) so I do it. Enjoy doing it by the way... Neighbors think the car breaks down every other week because they see it on the jack stands. Not so!

Worn out parts, well, replace them when they are worn out. Faulty parts,again, have faith then replace if it's worth it. Guardian sounds good in theory!
mrjr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar10dah View Post
It all depends what it is. Some parts are best replaced before they break. Some parts can fail before I replace them. The biggest decision factor is, "what happens when this part breaks?" If it failing doesn't cause any damage then it can wait. The second factor is, "what does it cost to replace?" If it's affordable now or worth the risk later.
This, just about verbatim, is the way I am about it.

I always try to pay attention to how the car is doing as I drive it, and if anything seems off, start looking into it. If something's defintely bad, gotta get it fixed. If it's not life threatening to me or the vehicle, and I can live with it, I will for a time and then have it fixed.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Yup and enjoyed every minute of it!! I have replaced thousands of dollars in parts because it was fun and I needed a hobby. Buy a new part and resell what old ones you can if they were in good condition.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #10

Garage
I generally run my car out of oil before adding more. No need to waste perfectly good oil.
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #11

I follow the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

For example, I know my starter is going bad. Its been making the start up noise for 2 years now. But it still has life left in it.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #12

The only parts I replace that aren't broken is when working on the suspension. If the right side tie rod end is worn, I'll replace the left side too since it can't be far behind.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96;296177[B
]I follow the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"[/B]
For example, I know my starter is going bad. Its been making the start up noise for 2 years now. But it still has life left in it.
But theres the corollary "once your in really deep, fix everything that might go wrong." In other words, if the clutch disc is worn, I'm not going to replace just the disc, I'l replace the pressure plate, throw-out bearing, RMS, IMSB if it hasn't been done. Don't want to repaet that job in a couple of months because you skimped on something.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
The only parts I replace that aren't broken is when working on the suspension. If the right side tie rod end is worn, I'll replace the left side too since it can't be far behind.
Have to agree here. Things that are in pairs like lights, ball joints, etc., I'd replace in pairs for that exact reason.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #15

If it aint broke dont fix it!

Ill fix my water pump when it breaks. ill replace my serp belt when it breaks, F**K replacing it every couple years like most suggest lol. AOS, Engine mounts etc. why bother??
Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #16

Well, I guess I prepare for replacements too, but it is called my special $ bank account fund just for these issues.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Getting ready to jump into a major replace/repair/upgrade as I like to drive long distances to far away places. I have been working on the parts list for almost 6 months now adding bits and pieces as I mentally work my way through those things that are worn out. If something has a high mortality rate and is still working...and I am in there...its getting replaced.

Plus its a hobby that I enjoy. I have all my other toys built to last and this is the last one in the bunch. The icing on the cake it my wife is into working on cars with me so this will be a summer project for both of us.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #18

Do your scheduled maintenance (oil, filters, sparkplugs, belt/chain) as per manufacturer recommendations, but then 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' You may be pre-maturily replacing a 'known' good part with a 'new' part that'll break the next day.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #19

Besides regular maintenance, I don't replace things that aren't broken.

How was I supposed to know the hydraulic clutch cable was about to break? The MAF? The plastic underbody panel?
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Adding to my last post. Yes most are just for hobby...but the water pump and IMS...personally when I plan vacation months in advance to be 400 miles away deep into the NC mountains with events planned and a nice young lady along for the ride...I don't think I want to be flat bedded home. Yes other things could break but I picked some of the better known ones and just replaced them (hopefully the new parts aren't defective ).

I will say though that I'm doing most of the suspension and the car drive like new, it's nice. Of course Charlotte roads suckk and they wear out bushings pretty fast.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote