Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #21

Zymol is NOT a "cleaning wax"

Kenny, I need to correct a misapprehension of yours. While Zymol has made a "cleaner wax" (for marketing to people looking for a quick one-step solution) they are clearly labeled that. Traditional Zymol waxes (like Glasur, made specifically for Porsche finishes) contain NO abrasives, and are not cleaner waxes.

Johnny, it is important to understand that most paste waxes (Turtle Wax, Simonize, etc.) do contain a small amount of abrasives, and because it is only a small amount, they don't work very well and can leave swirl marks. I prefer to separate the processes depending upon what my finish needs. My full routine in early Spring starts with using dish detergent to remove any old wax (and this is the ONLY time I use dish detergent!), clay-barring to remove embedded contaminants, and a polish like Safe-Cut to create the smoothest possible surface. I will then apply a wax-only product like Zymol Glasur.

While Zymol applied to a smooth surface will last for months, I enjoy waxing my car, so I will re-apply Zymol every 4--6 weeks during the summer.

If you really only want something quick and easy, I can recommend a synthetic like Turtle Wax's "Ice" product. I have torture-tested this on my wife's car (which I DON'T enjoy waxing), and the top of an air-conditioning compressor outside my house. It's easy to apply and buff off, and will bead water for a year or more.

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los! View Post
Kenny, I need to correct a misapprehension of yours. While Zymol has made a "cleaner wax" (for marketing to people looking for a quick one-step solution) they are clearly labeled that. Traditional Zymol waxes (like Glasur, made specifically for Porsche finishes) contain NO abrasives, and are not cleaner waxes.

Johnny, it is important to understand that most paste waxes (Turtle Wax, Simonize, etc.) do contain a small amount of abrasives, and because it is only a small amount, they don't work very well and can leave swirl marks. I prefer to separate the processes depending upon what my finish needs. My full routine in early Spring starts with using dish detergent to remove any old wax (and this is the ONLY time I use dish detergent!), clay-barring to remove embedded contaminants, and a polish like Safe-Cut to create the smoothest possible surface. I will then apply a wax-only product like Zymol Glasur.

While Zymol applied to a smooth surface will last for months, I enjoy waxing my car, so I will re-apply Zymol every 4--6 weeks during the summer.

If you really only want something quick and easy, I can recommend a synthetic like Turtle Wax's "Ice" product. I have torture-tested this on my wife's car (which I DON'T enjoy waxing), and the top of an air-conditioning compressor outside my house. It's easy to apply and buff off, and will bead water for a year or more.
It's not that I'm looking for something that's easy to use, but rather I'm looking for the product that's right for my situation . My vehicle is free of road deposits and debris, as well as surface scratches or lines . With that said, it doesn't seem like I need a cleaner wax, polish or clay bar . In fact, I should probably stay away from those types of products and use only a wax, sealant or glaze . Sound right ?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #23
Ex Esso kid

Not in my opinion, the clay bar is a good call after a couple years of road use, you will be amazed at what it removes and it does not harm the clear coat. Do you have a porter cable or are you going "danielson" on it? I've seen the pics you keep it tidy a carnuba wax is a great call for protection and shine. I like the blackfire because it has micro abrasives safe for CC that break down as you polish, the two step with PC is the ultimate shine bar none.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #24

I am fond of 3M performance finish...

it is a paint sealant so it lasts a long time...typically a few months. Traditional carnauba based waxes do provide a lot of shine but are quickly consumed by UV exposure so the effect may be only a few days to a week or so. The 3m product does not dry/haze like most waxes do which makes it really easy to apply to the entire vehicle before coming back and wiping it off. I have applied P21S over the 3m product as well for maximum bling but it really is not necessary.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
Ex Esso kid

Says 4-6 months don't know about that for the number of washes we do, especially given out oil spitting powerplants.

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection - 16 oz | Detailed Image
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #26

When it comes to the D-Mobile, JD is very serious.

01 986 Boxster S. Arctic Silver. 6 speed manual. IMSR/RMS.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #27
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba View Post
When it comes to the D-Mobile, JD is very serious.
If that's factual then he needs to pony up for a porter cable because the human hand cannot match it for results.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #28

Garage
I spent late morning/early afternoon giving the D-mobile a detailing. I picked up some Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus liquid wax. It was easy enough to use (simple on/off), and it left a pretty nice shine . Honestly, though, I think a lot of these auto detailing products are more about packaging and marketing than anything else . I wouldn't rate this wax as being any better than a traditional jar of Turtle Wax . In the future I'd like to try some Meguiar's #7 glaze and see how well it does .
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #29
Ex Esso kid

I used to be prep at the dealership all the way back to when Garry's royal satin was about the best stuff we could get. The meguires is eh, Ford wax. It's really about the PC and stacking different products for maximum effect.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #30

NXT I'm not sure I would use on a beater. That's a good OTC wax for a somewhat looked after paint finish. I've used better synthetic waxes as far as last forever durability. FinishKare 1000P high temp wax and their Pink Wax comes to mind. The 1000P in particular will have the car beading through a nukular war.
Which is ironic because for the low price they send you a 1 pound tin can of the stuff.

I would claybar the car first. Any OTC clay bar will work, I used to see a generic brand at Strauss Auto or maybe it was Autozone or Pepboys...I forget. Same crap.
Use the claybar while you are washing the c ar. This isn't concours afterall. Do a sudsy once over after claying to clear away any crap and rinse thouroughly.
Spray down the surface with quick detailer. Apply the wax to the damp surface.
let it haze. Spray the surface again. Then using speed not pressure, buff clean.
I use FinishKare 425 anti-static spray which gives it a teflon finish for dust to roll off. Essential product for dark colored cars. Autogeek.net has most of this stuff.

P.s.
Sealants are nonsense. A durable synthetic wax wil last months. Particularly on an enthusiasts car that is often topped off with a spray wax quick detailer. Sealants are just a product sold by car wax companies to get you to buy 8 step kits. Total nonsense. All you need is claybar and synthetic wax if you've got a beater car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-03-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #31

IME sealants are synthetic

wax and I use the term somewhat interchangeably. The 3m I recommended is considered a paint sealant rather than a traditional organic wax that will quickly degrade in the sun. The materials in it are synthetic and it is a one step process. I alot of times do clay bar the car and use a mild polish with my PC buffer before applying it though.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #32

"One Grand Blitz Wax was once used on the royal carriages of Buckingham Palace. It is known for its clarity, ease of application, and award wining shine. Each can of Blitz Wax is an authentic original, handcrafted today by the same family that started One Grand in 1933.

Blitz is our most durable paste wax. It does not leave residue and is great on dark colors. When used as directed, Blitz Wax produces a deep, durable, clear finish which preserves and protects against all harmful elements.

Blitz Wax has no abrasives or cleaners. It's a great wax to use on large vehicles that are waxed 2-3 times a year. We recommend it for fleet vehicles, motor homes, boats and aircraft. Blitz may be applied by hand or machine."
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I spent late morning/early afternoon giving the D-mobile a detailing. I picked up some Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus liquid wax. It was easy enough to use (simple on/off), and it left a pretty nice shine . Honestly, though, I think a lot of these auto detailing products are more about packaging and marketing than anything else . I wouldn't rate this wax as being any better than a traditional jar of Turtle Wax . In the future I'd like to try some Meguiar's #7 glaze and see how well it does .
If you want a high end shine try this stuff. I hav zero allegiance to brands but their Prime and Acrylic Jet Trigger is a solid product 1-2 that must have a very high concentration of carnauba wax, which you get very little of with auto store stuff.
The Prime polish itself could be left on the car as is with enough shine to call it day. Really brings out silver.

WERKSTAT: advancing the technology of automotive detailing

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-03-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #34

Garage
Holy motherella ! After looking at Finish Kare's web-site, I'd need a 12 step program in order to complete their 8 step process ! The hell with it, I'm going back to Rally Wax !

Additional Waxes offered by Finish Kare Mold Release
Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Holy motherella ! After looking at Finish Kare's web-site, I'd need a 12 step program in order to complete their 8 step process ! The hell with it, I'm going back to Rally Wax !

Additional Waxes offered by Finish Kare Mold Release
LOL.
I think they sell from the site you posted to car dealerships and the marine industry.

For weekend warriors you should use a retail distributor. The paint decontamination kit is popular. The product gets in to clear coat swirl channels to drive out pollutants that the clay bar might miss. All that stuff that causes the paint to dull or for rust to start up. It's like DEEP cleaning for the paint.

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search/Brand-Finish_Kare--catalog-autogeek--keywords-finish_kare

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #36

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845).

Most durable wax out there available....
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #37
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Johnny don't you know it's not the wax...it is who applies it!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #38

Garage
Wax On, Wax Off

Wax On, Wax Off:

Karate Kid Training Montage - YouTube

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
Certified Boxster Addict

Thank you! Its about friggin" time!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254