986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Wax Recommendation ? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/35250-wax-recommendation.html)

Johnny Danger 05-02-2012 04:39 PM

Wax Recommendation ?

I need a recommendation for a no-frills, off the shelf wax for the D-mobile . No need for any fancy polishes, clay bar or esoteric boutique stuff. The finish is pristine, I just need a good all around wax that I can find at the usual local haunts . Meguiars, Mothers' or others ?

Kenny Boxster 05-02-2012 04:45 PM

Johnny,

I use Meguiar's caranuba gold class wax on my black boxster. It makes it shine like a mirror! I use the paste wax, but cannot vouch for liquid waxes. I am sure mothers is the exact same all in all when it comes to paste waxes, but I used meguairs as I like their in-car cleaning products. It is a no frills wax, but does a damn good job for $10. I have heard zymol is an amazing wax but I am unfamiliar with putting a cleaner wax:confused: on my car.

Ghostrider 310 05-02-2012 04:47 PM

If you're going "the three stooges" or auto zone route, my favorite is mothers pure carnuba. Get the liquid, the solid smells better but it always cracks near the end and wastes product. If you have marks or residual dirt the cleaner wax is a nice product too. I have the Meguire's carnuba gold right now the mothers and Blackfire, I'm telling you take the five minutes and order blackfire products off the web, the best bar none.

Jager 05-02-2012 05:09 PM

Do you trust the Jäger? If your 986 has a clean surface then all you need is Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7. The Professional Show Car Glaze, Pure Polish For A Deep Gloss Shine.

JAAY 05-02-2012 05:12 PM

NXT wax. easy on, easy off. Even in the sun. I use griots stuff when I really do up my car. The NXT is great though

MeguiarsDirect.com: NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0

Johnny Danger 05-02-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 288778)
Do you trust the Jäger? If your 986 has a clean surface then all you need is Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7. The Professional Show Car Glaze, Pure Polish For A Deep Gloss Shine.

If the finish on the D-mobile is flawless, do I want to use a polish or a glaze on it ? I thought that a simple wax would be the best choice .

Jager 05-02-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 288780)
If the finish on the D-mobile is flawless, do I want to use a polish or a glaze on it ? I thought that a simple wax would be the best choice .

Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7 won't do anything but coat the surface... Some polishes have abrasives. #7 is very easy to work with, unlike waxes, give it a try. Use microfiber cloth to apply and rub off.

Jager 05-02-2012 05:49 PM

I will add that you need to apply Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7 in small sections of the vehicle at a time, don't let the glaze dry completely before wiping it off.

Johnny Danger 05-02-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 288787)
I will add that you need to apply Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #7 in small sections of the vehicle at a time, don't let the glaze dry completely before wiping it off.

I guess I need a crash course in detailing 101 . What are the differences and advantages between using either a glaze, wax, polish or sealant ?

Jager 05-02-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 288788)
I guess I need a crash course in detailing 101 . What are the differences and advantages between using either a glaze, wax, polish or sealant ?

How many years do you want to research? It's a crazy world of car finishes out there! You will find any different definitions by the vendors and allot of claims.

If you are looking for, or set on, a wax product I like Nu Finish because it's one of the easiest to wipe off and gives good protection for many weeks.

copsahl 05-02-2012 06:40 PM

+1 on NXT, especially on a finish that has no swirls.

blue2000s 05-02-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 288788)

Autogeek.net is an awesome resouce.

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html

san rensho 05-02-2012 06:54 PM

NXT paste, not liquid, is pretty long lasting. Mirror glaze is also very good. Both give a very rich "wet" look.

But Johnny, you have an unlimited purse. Get the best, Swiss Vax, only $1500 for a can!

Swissvax USA: Crystal Rock - Paul Dalton's state-of-the-art Carnauba-Glaze, 200ml

onefastman 05-02-2012 07:08 PM

I prefer a sealant over a wax.

Lasts longer with almost identical effects.

DFW02S 05-02-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefastman (Post 288801)
I prefer a sealant over a wax.

Lasts longer with almost identical effects.

And aren't most sealants better at hiding imperfections?

Never mind, the OP said pristine finish.

thstone 05-02-2012 08:26 PM

Seriously? I see a post from Johnny about "wax recommendations" and its REALLY about car wax?

Kenny Boxster 05-02-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 288816)
Seriously? I see a post from Johnny about "wax recommendations" and its REALLY about car wax?

:D You know you've been under the influence of Johnny when you you're thinking of bikini waxes instead of car waxes when you're on a car forum.

Johnny Danger 05-03-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 288799)
NXT paste, not liquid, is pretty long lasting. Mirror glaze is also very good. Both give a very rich "wet" look.

But Johnny, you have an unlimited purse. Get the best, Swiss Vax, only $1500 for a can!

Swissvax USA: Crystal Rock - Paul Dalton's state-of-the-art Carnauba-Glaze, 200ml

I have four cans of the stuff, it sucks !

Johnny Danger 05-03-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 288816)

Of course I'm serious, we're talking about the D-mobile here !

pompous 05-03-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAAY (Post 288779)
NXT wax. easy on, easy off. Even in the sun. I use griots stuff when I really do up my car. The NXT is great though

MeguiarsDirect.com: NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0

X2 This is what I use as well.