View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #21
Auf los!

Zymol is NOT a "cleaning wax"

Kenny, I need to correct a misapprehension of yours. While Zymol has made a "cleaner wax" (for marketing to people looking for a quick one-step solution) they are clearly labeled that. Traditional Zymol waxes (like Glasur, made specifically for Porsche finishes) contain NO abrasives, and are not cleaner waxes.

Johnny, it is important to understand that most paste waxes (Turtle Wax, Simonize, etc.) do contain a small amount of abrasives, and because it is only a small amount, they don't work very well and can leave swirl marks. I prefer to separate the processes depending upon what my finish needs. My full routine in early Spring starts with using dish detergent to remove any old wax (and this is the ONLY time I use dish detergent!), clay-barring to remove embedded contaminants, and a polish like Safe-Cut to create the smoothest possible surface. I will then apply a wax-only product like Zymol Glasur.

While Zymol applied to a smooth surface will last for months, I enjoy waxing my car, so I will re-apply Zymol every 4--6 weeks during the summer.

If you really only want something quick and easy, I can recommend a synthetic like Turtle Wax's "Ice" product. I have torture-tested this on my wife's car (which I DON'T enjoy waxing), and the top of an air-conditioning compressor outside my house. It's easy to apply and buff off, and will bead water for a year or more.
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote