Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Series9 View Post
In the pan:

I might be stepping out on a limb here but he has a non-stock baffle in the pan. We all know the consequences of racing these engines. Is some of this self inflicted. I'm planning to run mine again in 30 days. If it would go bad I won't swear at the IMS gods. It is a chance I knew increased the possibility

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #22

+1

After many years in the machine design business, one thing I have learned is that Bearing Failure Is A Process... Not An Event.

I'm not trying to excuse anyone... the better the design, the longer the process, but the statistical failure rate seems low (though not necessarily compared to many cars) enough that there are definitely outside factors beyond just a poor bearing selection.
RobbieKnobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #23

2 failures on the same car with totally different engines leads me to believe maintenance/driving habits MIGHT be suspect on this vehicle!
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
^ I agree with you completely. This has been discussed to death and no one really knows the numbers except Porsche and they aren't talking.
What do you think Porsche knows? I think they have good data on cars repaired under warranty or when they gave a "good will" adjustment on repair cost to the owner. They may have some limited data on cars that failed out of warranty, but I doubt they spend a lot of time or money worrying about it. So, perhaps they could extrapolate a failure rate from the data they have, but I doubt they have really good data on cars like mine.

Moreover, the failure mode and rate may be affected by the age of the cars. My car is 12 years old now. I'm not the first owner and I usually work on it myself or take it to an independent. Other than hoping I may one day buy a new Porsche, I doubt their accountants and MBA's can make a business case for chucking $10-15k at me to replace my engine if it were to fail.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Here is what I think that Porsche knows:

1. Failure mode(s) of the bearing
2. Conditions which accelerate bearing failure
3. Conditions which slow bearing failure
4. Statistical failure rates based on year and mileage curves

Porsche is an engineering powerhouse. I am quite sure that they have studied, modeled, and analyzed the IMSB problem quite well. The ultimate conclusion? In 2009, the intermediate shaft was designed out of the engine. No, IMS means no IMS bearing failures. QED.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #26

Well, I am going to add my to 2 cents worth here. I believe most failures come from Porsches with standard transmission. Why the failure, the Tip's produce less stress on the back of the engine as where as on a standard you would have more stress from everyday driving. That's why clutches wear out. I chose my pre-owned Boxster with a TIP just because of the cost of replacing a flywheel, disk, pressure plate and release bearing. I really enjoy my Boxster with a TIP. On the back side I also had a few words with a couple a Porsche mechanics here in Orlando about the IMS issue. Since the first Boxster they think that maybe one Boxster had an engine failure.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Well, I am going to add my to 2 cents worth here. I believe most failures come from Porsches with standard transmission. Why the failure, the Tip's produce less stress on the back of the engine as where as on a standard you would have more stress from everyday driving.
While there may be some element of truth in this, there is a more basic reason; the total number of Tiptronic cars is a very small fraction of the total number of the Boxster fleet. As the result, few Tips fail simply because there are fewer of them to begin with. But they do fail.

Interestingly, there are more than just one or two single owner, multiple IMS failure reports; so driving style may play into what factors lead to the problem; but again, only one source has most if not all of the data, and they ain't talking.....
Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #28

Garage
What would Shakespeare say ?

To replace ... or not to replace ... that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubled IMS bearings. And by opposing it ? To die: to sleep; No more; and by a sleep to say we end ; The heart-ache of IMS failure .
Old 02-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
While there may be some element of truth in this, there is a more basic reason; the total number of Tiptronic cars is a very small fraction of the total number of the Boxster fleet. As the result, few Tips fail simply because there are fewer of them to begin with. But they do fail.

Interestingly, there are more than just one or two single owner, multiple IMS failure reports; so driving style may play into what factors lead to the problem; but again, only one source has most if not all of the data, and they ain't talking.....
right, that is the point I was trying to make,that there are several cars I have heard of that have had MULTIPLE failures with different engines, but the same car, and you have a lot of cars that have NEVER had a failure,which leads me to believe there might be something to do with driving habits, maintenance, etc...Im almost wondering if this 996 might have even had a failure with a ceramic bearing
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #30
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series9 View Post
As the owner of an independent Porsche shop, I have to respectfully disagree.

This single VIN has experienced TWO failures in 118k miles.

All I can report is what I see. What I see is between 10 and 20 percent.
That is not only false, but irresponsible. My dealership, the largest/bussiest in the state, has never seen one. I guarantee they sell and service considerably more Porsches than any independent shop. You only see vehicles needing service. At 10-20% that would mean over 100,000 IMS engine failures between 1997 and 2007 and that is crazy talk. On this forum, with a high percentage of used Boxsters, we don't have anywhere near 2% and these are Boxster's only. You sir are incorrect.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBoxster View Post
..... My dealership, the largest/busiest in the state, has never seen one. I guarantee they sell and service considerably more Porsches than any independent shop. You only see vehicles needing service. At 10-20% that would mean over 100,000 IMS engine failures between 1997 and 2007 and that is crazy talk. On this forum, with a high percentage of used Boxsters, we don't have anywhere near 2% and these are Boxster's only.
Thank you Mile High!! Finally, the voice of reason.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
^ I agree with you completely. This has been discussed to death and no one really knows the numbers except Porsche and they aren't talking.

But I'd also caution about trusting the company that created the problem in the first place and has ignored it since then. Always remember that your service writer's paycheck has "Porsche" written at the top.
Thanks for the agreement, but as to the last part, his paycheck actually says "Jim Ellis Automotive Group" at the top -- I know because Jim is a neighbor, and he owns over a dozen dealerships covering 11 brands, of which Porsche is probably the smallest by an order of magnitude. I am sure that if Ellis was enticing their service writers to outright lie, it would be for the purpose of encouraging unnecessary expensive repairs, not for the purpose of discouraging necessary expensive repairs.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #33
2000 Arena Red Base

rookie question on this problem

I have a 2000 base, w/ 5-sp, and was looking to convert to a tip, so when I saw an '03 "S" tip at a local NWO auto dealer, I stopped to check it out. Had ~65k on it. Started it up and it sounded like lifters clapping, turned it off almost immediately.
What does the IMS sound like when it start to goes out?
This dealer (not Porsche) came back to me couple days later and told me he "drove it for 15-20 minutes and the sound went away".
I asked him was he nuts to drive it with that noise even 5 minutes would be crazy - and no, I'm not interested even dropping the $$ 3k.
Bengalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #34

Two failed IMS in the same 911 engine?

Wow. Is that like getting attacked by a great white shark on Coney Island twice

Questions to anyone:

1-Have there been any recent IMS failures of LN IMS unit?

2-Have there been unusually high IMS failures in BSR/BSX Boxster spec racing?
I think of these cars because they are usually driven hard but not driven frequently, they must sit for long intervals.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Two failed IMS in the same 911 engine?

Wow. Is that like getting attacked by a great white shark on Coney Island twice

Questions to anyone:

1-Have there been any recent IMS failures of LN IMS unit?

2-Have there been unusually high IMS failures in BSR/BSX Boxster spec racing?
I think of these cars because they are usually driven hard but not driven frequently, they must sit for long intervals.
See Jake's post on this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/33092-another-ims-solution.html

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #36

Has anyone taken a replacement engine or the 05+ apart and looked at the bearing? I would like to know if it is a greased or oiled bearing, 2 or 1 seal and the part number on it.
feelyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
That little nugget (3 failures out of 4,000 IMS ugprades) deserves its own thread.

But my first question is how many of these egnines have seen siginficant mileage since most cars have had the upgrade in the only the last two years. But that's pretty theoretical because if you believe that an overwhelming majoriity of un-touched factory IMS bearings will not fail, then even if the LN turned out to have a high failure rate in the high single digits, sounds wholly unlikely though, you're still talking about a really tiny group. I mean how unlucky can you be?

But I'm curious to hear about the Boxster Spec racing IMS failure rates. I'll have to dig into those forums.
That's has to be a really well tested group to analyze. I think about the wide range of revvs rather than the vanilla revving from predictable highway driving.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #38

I had done some research on the life span of the bearing Porsche used. According to a "person" in a bearing company that supplied Porsche with the IMS bearings, the 6204 has a limited life span. The bearing was shipped out with 1 seal missing and no lube in the bearing, so who knows what was used as lube, and who, what, or where... they used to snap on the other seal. Also, 1 more tidbit there is a percentage of lube used to the speed limit of the bearing. Example.. if the bearing has a limiting speed of 10,000 rpm, and you are running it at 7,500 rpm, then you fill the bearing between 33% to 50%. If you are running the bearing at 2,500 rpm, then you fill the bearing 50% to 66%.

Porsche should of left the bearing filling, and seal installation to the bearing to the mfg. and this would probably be a non issue. This research was done on the double row bearing used to '99, and if the bearing, was filled correctly, and not damaged on intallation, or overrev'd etc. should of lasted into 100k's with no problems. OH, and as soon as I mentioned "Porsche" the "person" shut up and would not give me anymore info.
feelyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
While I respect your expertise as a Porsche mechanic (an expertise I absolutely do not share) I have to ask you to respect mine as a statistician. And I have to say this doesn't make any sense.

I'm not saying it's NOT 10-20 percent; I'm only saying that unless all 200,000 Boxsters are regularly serviced at your shop, you can't possibly have any idea what percentage of the total Boxster population is affected by IMS woes. Yes, perhaps 20% of the Boxsters you see have IMS failure. But is your clientele a representative sampling? Perhaps you have a reputation as a great IMS bearing expert, so everybody within 100 miles of you who has an IMS failure comes to see you. Then you would be seeing 100% of the problem cars in your area, and every other shop would be seeing 0% of the problem cars. (I'm exaggerating for emphasis.) So if we asked them, the failure rate is 0%, and if we ask you, it's a huge number.

I went to Jim Ellis Porsche last year to ask about an LN install on my '04. They are LN authorized installers. I was basically saying, "Tell me I need to do this and I'll give you $3000 or so to do it." The Service Writer talked with me a long time. He had been there 4.5 years. In that time they had dealt with 5 M96s with failed IMS bearings, and two of them were late model 997s. His words in conclusion? "If I was buying an 03 or newer Boxster right now there's no way on earth I'd have the IMS replaced unless the car was showing signs of needing it."

So your two stories are wildly different. I don't believe either of you is lying or even leaving part of the truth out. I believe neither of you has enough of the story to draw any sort of statistically relevant data.

thanks,
The service manager at that same dealership told the prospective buyer calling to schedule a PPI of my 2000 996 with 65k miles that my car wouldn't last another 5 to 10k miles before the IMS bearing failed, but we can put you into a CPO 997 for 2.5 times the money. He didn't buy my car, but the guy who did over two years ago is still going strong. He uses the same indy I do anbd he hasn't had an IMS failure. I changed the oil every 5k miles just out of old habits, not knowing it would eventually probably be the reason I haven't had a failure. My point to that is you can't trust Jim Ellis Porsche for anything.

Jim Ellis replaced a lot of M96 engines under warranty. Every Porsche dealer did. Porsche and the dealers got really good in turning around the engines as rebuilds and this to cars all with less than 50k miles. I've been driving M96 cars since 99 and I know a lot of people that had them fail, although I haven't had one go yet, and my 986S has one of Jake Raby's engines, so I'm not worried about it failing.

Porsche actually has good numbers but they aren't sharing. You can bet their statistical models indicated a serious issue or they would not have redesigned the IMS over and over and over until finally eliminating it altogether 12 years after the first of the water pumpers hit the streets.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #40

The TT doesn't have the IMS issue, right?