Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #1

A newbie asking questions about the Boxster on 6speed

I was on 6Speed the other day and a potential Boxster owner asked the following question.

Boxster. How bad are the "gay" comments? - 6speedonline.com Forums

Some posts are funny and entertaining, but others a just ignorant.

Thought everyone might enjoy.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Hah! Think a Boxster is bad, try owning a Miata!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #3

The hardest part about owning a Miata is telling your dad that you're gay.

Fact.
ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #4

Garage
I don't get it ? What's wrong with gay ?

gay   
adjective

1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.

Synonyms
3. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay : a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 4. brilliant.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

From Dictionary.com

gay   /geɪ/ Show Spelled [gey] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
adjective

1. homosexual.
2. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
3. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
4. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
5. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDirtyThirty View Post
From Dictionary.com

gay   /geɪ/ Show Spelled [gey] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
adjective

1. homosexual.
2. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
3. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
4. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
5. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
Oh ! I guess having a Brian Boitano screen saver wouldn't help either .
Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #7

i like how the original poster of the thread defend his so called friends by saying they drive Ferrari, Corvette, Viper, etc... and he make it sounds like that it's his last choice to get the Boxster.

It's either he has a low self esteem or he is hanging out with the wrong crowd

Tell that member to sign up here so we could show him all the love he needed
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Doesn't the name, Boxster, seem a little light hearted and whimsical? Miata has the same issue.

The Rx-7 convertible never had that stigma, even though it was softer and slower than the coupe version. 300, 350, and 370Z too. It looks like if you use numbers or codes to name your car, it won't be a chick car.

Chrysler and Ford have good manly names for their sports cars like Viper, Cobra, Mustang, Copperhead. If you name your car after a snake or horse, it's manly.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-02-2011 at 11:42 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #9

I always say: the smaller the car, the less you are trying to compensate
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #10

I often refer to my car as my Barbie car. My buddies I ride with all called it that until I took a few of them for a ride.

I have never really liked to wanted to own a convertible until I drove a boxster for the first time. I haven't since put my chopper back together yet
Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #11

It is all a self esteem thing...drive one and most of us know and some will not admit, that the boxster/caymans are the best driving cars porsche has ever built.

Don't get me wrong, I will eventually get a gt3 rs in my garage, but this little car has a special place in my heart and garage (after owning nsx-t, 3 jags, 2 of them xjrs, 2 vettes, 2 maseratis, etc.)

Does the 356 evoke any "gayness" now that it has aged gracefully?
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #12

I easily could have bought a 996 (even had the wifes approval) but I just enjoyed the Boxster way more....never had a negative comment....usually it is "F---- you, you have a Porsche you A--hole" (Im Military BTW)
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Doesn't the name, Boxster, seem a little light hearted and whimsical? Miata has the same issue.

The Rx-7 convertible never had that stigma, even though it was softer and slower than the coupe version. 300, 350, and 370Z too. It looks like if you use numbers or codes to name your car, it won't be a chick car.

Chrysler and Ford have good manly names for their sports cars like Viper, Cobra, Mustang, Copperhead. If you name your car after a snake or horse, it's manly.
What does box mean? - box Definition - Meaning of box | The Online Slang Dictionary
Box: An attractive female. A vagina. bang (one's) box - to have sex with a woman.

Seems to me like getting in a box(ster) would be about the least gay thing a man could do.

Miata, on the other hand.... yeah. Mini's are even worse, and don't get me started with a Pony car, I don't want to "ride a pony"

I've only had my car a week and every woman at work has wanted to take a ride in the Boxster. All of them. In fact I let one drive it around the parking lot on Thursday. No one ever wanted to ride around in my Avalon.

Here's a photo of her in my car, she's a young, slim ~5'3" Hispanic girl. Sorry for the poor quality, it was dark out.

Besides, if women like our Porsches isn't that a *good* thing? If I wanted to attract young men I'd drive a WRX STI, Evo or Corvette

Also an amateur model I "know" (friend of a friend) contacted me on facebook and said she'd like to pose with the Boxster in the spring. She could rent a new Mustang or Camaro for the day for ~$30 and pose with that, but she wanted to pose with a Porsche.

And let's not forget the Boxster is a remake of the Porsche 550 spyder, the classic James Dean car, and who's more manly than James Dean?

Boxster has timeless lines, 60 years from now you could still take it cruising and get looks just like you could take a 1950s Porsche 550 spyder for a spin and heads would turn

Honestly I think he's trolling
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
What does box mean? - box Definition - Meaning of box | The Online Slang Dictionary
Box: An attractive female. A vagina. bang (one's) box - to have sex with a woman.

Seems to me like getting in a box(ster) would be about the least gay thing a man could do.

Miata, on the other hand.... yeah. Mini's are even worse, and don't get me started with a Pony car, I don't want to "ride a pony"

I've only had my car a week and every woman at work has wanted to take a ride in the Boxster. All of them. In fact I let one drive it around the parking lot on Thursday. No one ever wanted to ride around in my Avalon.

Here's a photo of her in my car, she's a young, slim ~5'3" Hispanic girl. Sorry for the poor quality, it was dark out.

Besides, if women like our Porsches isn't that a *good* thing? If I wanted to attract young men I'd drive a WRX STI, Evo or Corvette

Also an amateur model I "know" (friend of a friend) contacted me on facebook and said she'd like to pose with the Boxster in the spring. She could rent a new Mustang or Camaro for the day for ~$30 and pose with that, but she wanted to pose with a Porsche.

And let's not forget the Boxster is a remake of the Porsche 550 spyder, the classic James Dean car, and who's more manly than James Dean?

Boxster has timeless lines, 60 years from now you could still take it cruising and get looks just like you could take a 1950s Porsche 550 spyder for a spin and heads would turn

Hmm, your gaydar needs an update. James Dean was famously gay. (Not that there;s anything wrong with that)

Most people (including many Porsche owners) think that if its not a 911, its chick car. I had the same problem when I had 944s.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Hmm, your gaydar needs an update. James Dean was famously gay. (Not that there;s anything wrong with that)

Most people (including many Porsche owners) think that if its not a 911, its chick car. I had the same problem when I had 944s.
It's my belief that some guys get so far past the "cool" gauge that it swings all the way around

I know a Army 2nd Lieutenant that drives a Mini, has a wife who's a Army Captain and has two kids.

It's 2011 folks. There's cars that are very clearly girly cars like Beetles and Minis, and then there's a huge list of cars "on the fence".

Anyone that calls a Boxster "girly" or "gay" has not driven one.

Last edited by 986_inquiry; 12-03-2011 at 06:17 AM.
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #16
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post

Wait, you're driving around in a Vagina? How does that work?

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-03-2011 at 08:34 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Blue - I'm laughing so hard I scared my gay cat off.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote