986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   A newbie asking questions about the Boxster on 6speed (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/31460-newbie-asking-questions-about-boxster-6speed.html)

tnoice 12-02-2011 08:55 AM

A newbie asking questions about the Boxster on 6speed

I was on 6Speed the other day and a potential Boxster owner asked the following question.

Boxster. How bad are the "gay" comments? - 6speedonline.com Forums

Some posts are funny and entertaining, but others a just ignorant.

Thought everyone might enjoy.

thstone 12-02-2011 09:30 AM

Hah! Think a Boxster is bad, try owning a Miata! :D

ReallyDirtyThirty 12-02-2011 09:37 AM

The hardest part about owning a Miata is telling your dad that you're gay.

Fact.

Johnny Danger 12-02-2011 09:39 AM

I don't get it ? What's wrong with gay ?

gay   
adjective

1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.

Synonyms
3. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay : a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 4. brilliant.

ReallyDirtyThirty 12-02-2011 09:41 AM

From Dictionary.com

gay   /geɪ/ Show Spelled [gey] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
adjective

1. homosexual.
2. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
3. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
4. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
5. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.

Johnny Danger 12-02-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReallyDirtyThirty (Post 266610)
From Dictionary.com

gay   /geɪ/ Show Spelled [gey] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
adjective

1. homosexual.
2. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
3. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
4. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
5. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.

Oh ! I guess having a Brian Boitano screen saver wouldn't help either .

unklekraker 12-02-2011 10:54 AM

i like how the original poster of the thread defend his so called friends by saying they drive Ferrari, Corvette, Viper, etc... and he make it sounds like that it's his last choice to get the Boxster.

It's either he has a low self esteem or he is hanging out with the wrong crowd :barf:

Tell that member to sign up here so we could show him all the love he needed :D

blue2000s 12-02-2011 10:56 AM

Doesn't the name, Boxster, seem a little light hearted and whimsical? Miata has the same issue.

The Rx-7 convertible never had that stigma, even though it was softer and slower than the coupe version. 300, 350, and 370Z too. It looks like if you use numbers or codes to name your car, it won't be a chick car.

Chrysler and Ford have good manly names for their sports cars like Viper, Cobra, Mustang, Copperhead. If you name your car after a snake or horse, it's manly.

dennis 12-02-2011 01:51 PM

I always say: the smaller the car, the less you are trying to compensate

Jake D 12-02-2011 04:02 PM

I often refer to my car as my Barbie car. My buddies I ride with all called it that until I took a few of them for a ride.

I have never really liked to wanted to own a convertible until I drove a boxster for the first time. I haven't since put my chopper back together yet

986_c6 12-02-2011 08:35 PM

It is all a self esteem thing...drive one and most of us know and some will not admit, that the boxster/caymans are the best driving cars porsche has ever built.

Don't get me wrong, I will eventually get a gt3 rs in my garage, but this little car has a special place in my heart and garage (after owning nsx-t, 3 jags, 2 of them xjrs, 2 vettes, 2 maseratis, etc.)

Does the 356 evoke any "gayness" now that it has aged gracefully?

fivepointnine 12-02-2011 09:50 PM

I easily could have bought a 996 (even had the wifes approval) but I just enjoyed the Boxster way more....never had a negative comment....usually it is "F---- you, you have a Porsche you A--hole" (Im Military BTW)

986_inquiry 12-02-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 266626)
Doesn't the name, Boxster, seem a little light hearted and whimsical? Miata has the same issue.

The Rx-7 convertible never had that stigma, even though it was softer and slower than the coupe version. 300, 350, and 370Z too. It looks like if you use numbers or codes to name your car, it won't be a chick car.

Chrysler and Ford have good manly names for their sports cars like Viper, Cobra, Mustang, Copperhead. If you name your car after a snake or horse, it's manly.

What does box mean? - box Definition - Meaning of box | The Online Slang Dictionary
Box: An attractive female. A vagina. bang (one's) box - to have sex with a woman.

Seems to me like getting in a box(ster) would be about the least gay thing a man could do.

Miata, on the other hand.... yeah. Mini's are even worse, and don't get me started with a Pony car, I don't want to "ride a pony"

I've only had my car a week and every woman at work has wanted to take a ride in the Boxster. All of them. In fact I let one drive it around the parking lot on Thursday. No one ever wanted to ride around in my Avalon.

Here's a photo of her in my car, she's a young, slim ~5'3" Hispanic girl. Sorry for the poor quality, it was dark out.
http://i44.tinypic.com/muv6gi.jpg

Besides, if women like our Porsches isn't that a *good* thing? If I wanted to attract young men I'd drive a WRX STI, Evo or Corvette

Also an amateur model I "know" (friend of a friend) contacted me on facebook and said she'd like to pose with the Boxster in the spring. She could rent a new Mustang or Camaro for the day for ~$30 and pose with that, but she wanted to pose with a Porsche.

And let's not forget the Boxster is a remake of the Porsche 550 spyder, the classic James Dean car, and who's more manly than James Dean?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XRrU8-3Nmi...s+Dean+Car.jpg

Boxster has timeless lines, 60 years from now you could still take it cruising and get looks just like you could take a 1950s Porsche 550 spyder for a spin and heads would turn

Honestly I think he's trolling

san rensho 12-03-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986_inquiry (Post 266692)
What does box mean? - box Definition - Meaning of box | The Online Slang Dictionary
Box: An attractive female. A vagina. bang (one's) box - to have sex with a woman.

Seems to me like getting in a box(ster) would be about the least gay thing a man could do.

Miata, on the other hand.... yeah. Mini's are even worse, and don't get me started with a Pony car, I don't want to "ride a pony"

I've only had my car a week and every woman at work has wanted to take a ride in the Boxster. All of them. In fact I let one drive it around the parking lot on Thursday. No one ever wanted to ride around in my Avalon.

Here's a photo of her in my car, she's a young, slim ~5'3" Hispanic girl. Sorry for the poor quality, it was dark out.

Besides, if women like our Porsches isn't that a *good* thing? If I wanted to attract young men I'd drive a WRX STI, Evo or Corvette

Also an amateur model I "know" (friend of a friend) contacted me on facebook and said she'd like to pose with the Boxster in the spring. She could rent a new Mustang or Camaro for the day for ~$30 and pose with that, but she wanted to pose with a Porsche.

And let's not forget the Boxster is a remake of the Porsche 550 spyder, the classic James Dean car, and who's more manly than James Dean?

Boxster has timeless lines, 60 years from now you could still take it cruising and get looks just like you could take a 1950s Porsche 550 spyder for a spin and heads would turn

Hmm, your gaydar needs an update. James Dean was famously gay. (Not that there;s anything wrong with that)

Most people (including many Porsche owners) think that if its not a 911, its chick car. I had the same problem when I had 944s.

986_inquiry 12-03-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 266700)
Hmm, your gaydar needs an update. James Dean was famously gay. (Not that there;s anything wrong with that)

Most people (including many Porsche owners) think that if its not a 911, its chick car. I had the same problem when I had 944s.

It's my belief that some guys get so far past the "cool" gauge that it swings all the way around ;)

I know a Army 2nd Lieutenant that drives a Mini, has a wife who's a Army Captain and has two kids.

It's 2011 folks. There's cars that are very clearly girly cars like Beetles and Minis, and then there's a huge list of cars "on the fence".

Anyone that calls a Boxster "girly" or "gay" has not driven one.

blue2000s 12-03-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986_inquiry (Post 266692)

Wait, you're driving around in a Vagina? How does that work?

WhipE350 12-03-2011 06:11 PM

Blue - I'm laughing so hard I scared my gay cat off.