Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Found a cheap Tip Boxster S- Advice

So I've been browsing for a potential boxster for quite some time and just found a 2002 Boxster S Tiptronic 69,000 miles for 7500. Seems like a screaming deal, lady is selling it in a divorce settlement and doesnt have a drivers liscence to use it.

Step 1, id stick it on a rack to be inspected.

But from you guys im wondering what your advice would be to look out for. Driving impressions to notice or see in a walkabout.

Also, as it is a tiptronic what are your opinions on this tranny? I was looking for a manual, but being realistic I've never actually driven a stick more than a block and for 7500 i think id swallow my pride on it lol.

cazten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Given the pricing deal it can't hurt at all to have a PPI done, so I'd say do that for sure.

Also read here:
Boxster Buyer's Tips

Mike Focke also has a webpage that I cannot pull up at the moment, but I will edit my post later and add his site in unless someone else would like to beat me to it. He's also got plenty of good information.

If she's just selling it that low because it's of no use to her, then you sure will be getting a deal should the PPI have good results.

Don't feel any shame, it being an S you'll still have plenty of fun with a Tiptronic. Do a search on here for "kickdown switch" and see the lil trick these cars have up their sleeves...er, vents, rather.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Mike Focke also has a webpage that I cannot pull up at the moment, but I will edit my post later and add his site in unless someone else would like to beat me to it. He's also got plenty of good information.
Here ya go:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

1. there are no cheap porsches. who knows maybe you've found the first one, but odds are...

2. yes, get a PPI!

3. i have a tip and don't regret my decision. i can and have driven manuals most of my life. to be honest i was passing over tips when i started looking around. but figured "eh, i'll check it out" after looking at only manuals. after checking it out i bought it. i don't regret buying the tip, especially when dealing with DC-area traffic. i do admit to spending most of the time in "manual" mode however.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #5

You're not the only person here that found a "GREAT" deal on a Boxster... for many, it usually starts off that way.

And don't buy it because it's cheap, because you'll regret that it's not a manual after if that's what you're looking for to begin with.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #6

Sounds like a winner. Even if you have to sink $7,500 into the car you're still evens.
I'm guessing service records are a no go, neither will the driver (ex hubby) help you there bud.
I'd factor in the LN IMS as a first order of business, even if fails are less common with autos (acutally I'm not even sure if that's true). It might need new rear tires, brakes/rotors, cats, shocks might be on their last 20%. Then there are the common break downs on the Boxster like the AOS, water pump, coolant tank, ignition switch. I had to do all of the above around that same mileage point.

And since you've never driven a manual then there's nothing to miss. Definitely get the PPI but have the cash ready to offer up the second the mechanic says 'good to go'. Make sure she sees the caysh in your hand. Fan it out and wave like a well.... a fan. I can't think of many women who aren't going yank that cash out of yer hand. Tell her that you heard major mainteance for these cars can easily run $12K so the most you can offer up without full records is $6000K and then tell her that these engines are notorious for exploding unexpectedly costing $15K to replace and offer to send her a link to LN's site so she can see carnage pics.

Oh man....you can have a field day. Just make sure to act quickly.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-15-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Sounds like a good deal but PLEASE get a PPI by a qualified independent Porsche shop or a dealer. It will be the best $300 that you have ever spent.

If all checks out well, then you know that you're getting a good deal. If there are issues, then you'll know why its priced so cheap. With this info in hand, then you can make your best deal and generally know what to expect.

Then after you buy it, have $2,000 in cash (or credit!) at the ready for whatever comes up.

As for the tip vs manual, drive both and see what you think. Don't buy something you don't like just because its cheap and if you like it, then who cares what someone else thinks?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #8

You don't mention if the car is local. Have you actually seen it? This sounds like one of the "specials" on the internet. Be very wary if the seller wants $$$ sent via Western Union.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you. If it really is a proper deal, buy it and then decide if you like the Tip or not. At that price you shouldn't take a hit if you decide you really need a manual (unless it needs a pile of work - but that's what the PPI is for).
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Sounds way too good to be true, just be careful, have cash ready if PPI is good. If you don't like Tip you can always sell it at a profit and get a manual.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
The concerns some have pointed out are certainly nothing to take lightly. If you're going to be walking around with cash on hand I'd ensure that you also have someone else with you just to be safe.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Yes! Good point...
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #12

Sounds like a scam to me...

Do not send them any money before looking at the car, no matter how enticing it is.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #13

make sure she has the title when you give up the caysh!!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
Registered Boxster abuser

and of course make sure it does not have a salvage title as typically cars priced such as this have these.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #15

^ good point. The old "bargain divorce car" smoke and mirrors diversion tactic.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #16

Buyer Beware....

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #17

The cheap Porsche you buy will more often than not be the most expensive car you've ever owned.

I made this mistake in 2004 with my "outrageously low-priced" 97 Boxster. Oh how I wish I had waited, saved for three more years, and bought a much younger Boxster with a service history from an owner who cared for the car and kept up with the maintenance, repairs, and the replacement of wear items (bearings, struts, control arms, etc.) which wear out a LOT faster than on "normal" cars.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #18

Garage
Whomever does your PPI make sure they hook up some sort of diagnostics to the computer and read any over revs and cam deviation while the engine is running.

A divorcee hu? What she look like? :dance: or
Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
The cheap Porsche you buy will more often than not be the most expensive car you've ever owned.

I made this mistake in 2004 with my "outrageously low-priced" 97 Boxster. Oh how I wish I had waited, saved for three more years, and bought a much younger Boxster with a service history from an owner who cared for the car and kept up with the maintenance, repairs, and the replacement of wear items (bearings, struts, control arms, etc.) which wear out a LOT faster than on "normal" cars.
don't feel too bad. If you'd a waited three years to buy my 2000 S you'd be paying the same $10+K plus bill, oh wait front control arm bill just came in and it's a doozey....so yeah nearly $12K out of yer wallet. And I still have another $2K in this and that left to do. I'm going to have to reconsier plans for Porsche #2, or at least how I go about it. Maybe it will be CPO pcars only. No Porsche is a no go. Last time I was without the car for a month (lots of work) I was feeling some big time withdrawal, put on 10 pounds didn't shave and screened all my calls.
I've also thought about a second hand Lotus. I mean at least if the engine blows up I can pick up a Celica engine at the local Wal-Mart on sale.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #20

lol just how severely have i underestimated the cost of ownership!? I thought the main big ticket items to watch for was IMS/RMS

10k+ in maintenance on a 10kcar seems excessive lol.

As far as if its a scam. I havnt heard back from her yet after asking about doing a PPI and test drive yesterday. Cars a couple hours from me in sanfrancisco so i plan to see it first. Im well aware of scam tactics

This thread makes me slightly nervous now though lol. 3 months ago i could of bought it cash. As of today im on unemployment and would need a slight loan... That id eventually make back up selling my motorcycle i never ride. I wasnt to worried about it as loan payments on a car that cheap can practically be found under the bed mattress scraps each month but the way some of these repairs are sounding... It would just make my cry to let such a deal pass by if its legit.

cazten is offline   Reply With Quote