Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Unless your employment situation is about to change soon you may have to do some serious considering, cazten. You don't want to buy impulsively, nice price or not, and then be stuck not being able to drive or maintain the vehicle if something does happen to it shortly afterward. Then it'll be costing you money while not being used, which will turn it into a point of contention sitting in your driveway.

One thing about this is we won't know how good a deal is til we know how good a deal it is. When people see prices for these cars that have less than 2 figures to the left of the comma, a letter "S" after the model name, and for a model year that starts with "20-", they tend to kinda raise eyebrows and bring out the laundry list of 101 Reasons Why Not (don't take it personal guys, I'm just saying, y'all did go there). Normally they're not wrong for doing so, but unless the car's been sitting under a giant burlap sack and is buried 2 feet in mud, I highly doubt you're going to end up dropping $10k into it immediately. Now over time, $10k may very well happen through wear and tear and come whatever may, but that's just how it is. We really just won't know until it's seen and reported back to us.

Here's the thing: provided it's not a scam, not in more than one piece when you lay eyes on it, and comes back with a sound PPI result, it's a stupidly good deal, and if anything does break, which will simply happen sooner or later and doesn't mean the person sold it to you with knowledge that it would happen, you'll be able to cover the cost easier than if you'd shelled out full price of what the car's worth and stretch yourself thin.

Knowing your employment situation does change my tone a bit, though, because loan or not, you need to be careful here. Even those of us who have the income of gainful employment still get hit hard sometimes when maintenance, scheduled or otherwise, comes through.

As someone like blue2000s would say, don't buy a Boxster, or any Porsche for that matter, on a budget. It's not an easy thing to do, and it will ruin the experience for you.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #22

Buying a Porsche on unemployment... wow. We live in an interesting time.

Last edited by ekam; 11-17-2011 at 07:19 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #23
recycledsixtie

Garage
I totally agree....

it is not much running a Porsche on a budget. Bought my 2001 base Boxster in May, and today took it in for more work at my indy dealer. First trip I took it in for cv boots leaking. Today I took it in for IMS guard to be installed plus oil change etc. The first trip I felt was mandatory. The second was discretionary. My previous car was a Miata/MX5. It was cheap to run. I waited until I was in my sixties till I got my first Porsche. I could not do justice to this car if I did not spend money on it. No money spent, it could quicky spiral into a bucketful of problems.:ah:
Hope this helps! Amount spent so far after today about $1600.
Cheers
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #24

Do not let others scare you about getting a Boxster cheep,a PPI is a most,there is a Loc, guy by me that charges $150.00 money well spent IMO.

I just bought a 2002 Base Boxster W/68K miles on it with all the Mant. done +RMS,clutch,flywheel,new tires,4 wheel alignment,CV and water pump etc,etc, owner had over $5,500.00 in repairs and the recites to prove it. I paid $9,000.00 for it from a private sell.

The price is great,just have the car checked out and bare in mind you will have to have the 60K mant, done but you do not have to worry about replacing the clutch because it is an auto trans,

Good Luck Bro.

Pic of my new Boxster
vvv
Attached Images

Last edited by jbs986; 11-17-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: ad pic
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #25

well i havnt heard anything back unfortunately so either it was a scam that gave up after my questions or its already been sold .

Probably for the best considering my situation. I work in construction so I'm used to being outa work around the holidays in winter near every year and always get back on, recession or not. Who knows maybe this is some higher powers way of saving my ass in case this year doesnt bounce back so well lol.

Guess ill just hold on, save back up, sell my bike and buy cash next winter
cazten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Not to thread-jack, but jbs986, I want your wheels.

Well cazten, give it a few more attempts, and if you don't hear back then it's not terrible loss. If that's the case then you get to save up and buy & own one outright. Our warnings and advice still applies, of course, but now you have that knowledge ahead of time (like I wish I had) and can make a purchase that you know will make you happy because you've given it a thorough run-through.

Play a little state lottery here and there, too. You never know...

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote