Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #21

Boy, how about that Indy thing, huh?

Back to Boxsters, for those of you who go to the track regularly, but use the same tires for street and track (not looking for those with the extra set of wheels in the garage with competition tires, even though that is indeed the right thing for the track) what street/track tires have you used, and how did you like them?
Went to TireRack's survey poll, and it looks like Bridgestone S-03s and Michelin PS2s got the highest marks (but in a variety of car types on street use). Can anybody with track experience illuminate me on a good street/track tire? Cost and wear are of interest, but tire performance is what I'm trying to uncover. thanks.

I was bummed over Indy too. I've followed F-1 for decades, including the 7 years I lived in Italy and rooted for Ferrari alongside my Italian friends. It's not a sport there; it's a passion. Hated to see this happen at THE US RACE, and hope somebody figures it out and fixes it. I'm still not sure we know "the real truth" on all that transpired. The politics and economics involved can be ugly at times. Anybody think NASCAR is clean?

Good tire stories? Anybody?
Maybe an extra set of wheels/tires IS the answer.

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #22

youre absolutely right BruceLee. THis is the biggest market for all car and tire manufacturers and do you know how many of my friends asked me what happened at Indy 2 weeks ago?

ZERO.

Michelin got it wrong because there was a major overhaul of the rules this season. The parameters that were followed to build the INdy tire for the last five years changed completely. So far this season they have produced far and away the superior tire.
Bridgestone singlehandedly have completely obliterated the chances of the most well funded, well staffed team in motorsports. And the interesting bit is that its not the whole Bridgestone tire that is uncompetitive, just one aspect of it. Think about that for a second. That's how small the margin between victory and humiliation has become. To be amazed that Michelin got it wrong is really to not understand that unlike most other forms of motorsports, this is a formula that allows limitless development of cars, tires, engines, aero, and chassis etc.
Just one minor miscalculation and the result is as much as half a second disadvatage. This sport needs to get the focus back on the drivers and stop making them marginal factors.

and F1, ALMS, Champcar, MotoGP, WRC, NASCAR, IRL is not show business.
The show doesn't need to go on.
There hasn't been a fatality in open wheel racing in a couple of years now since Tony Renna died at Indy in his first practice session with a new team. Greg Moore, Gonzalo Rodriguez, Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, Earnhardt, Michele Alboreto all have died in only the last five years. I think people forget how close trajedy is at every race. So we missed a race and its a huge scandal but 14 guys are still alive with their families, despite the best efforts of this guy who runs the f1 circus.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-29-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Boy, how about that Indy thing, huh?

Back to Boxsters, for those of you who go to the track regularly, but use the same tires for street and track (not looking for those with the extra set of wheels in the garage with competition tires, even though that is indeed the right thing for the track) what street/track tires have you used, and how did you like them?
Went to TireRack's survey poll, and it looks like Bridgestone S-03s and Michelin PS2s got the highest marks (but in a variety of car types on street use). Can anybody with track experience illuminate me on a good street/track tire? Cost and wear are of interest, but tire performance is what I'm trying to uncover. thanks.

Toyo Proxes RA-1.
I recommend them wholeheartedly for Track, Autocross and street use(yes even in the rain, excellent no hydroplaning). I can name about half a dozen other P-car drivers including instructors who have nothing but praise for this tire.
I personally did not want to change tires between track and driving home, neither do I have the space for a tire tail or hitch. An excellent track tire that is safe on the street.
They aren't cheap $240 a piece for the front (245x18) and $260 rears (275x18).
Try bobwoodmantires they have excellent pricing.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #24

Perfectlap - thanks, will keep Toyos in mind.
It struck me later that the OEM tires are undoubtedly good, but Porsche probably doesn't envision everyone heading straight for the nearest road track.

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote