Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #1

After a run up a mountain road, I popped the rear boot open and guess what ? I found steam escaping from underneath the flat plastic plate that goes above the breather valve.... guess it should be from the breather valve. Definitely not from the coolant cap.

I'm now waiting for my new breather valve. Hopefully that cures the coolant loss.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
After a run up a mountain road, I popped the rear boot open and guess what ? I found steam escaping from underneath the flat plastic plate that goes above the breather valve.... guess it should be from the breather valve. Definitely not from the coolant cap.

I'm now waiting for my new breather valve. Hopefully that cures the coolant loss.
Shlim:

When you get your new breather valve and go to install it, remember the caution about the fragile bolts. DO NOT over-torque them!

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoir
Shlim:

When you get your new breather valve and go to install it, remember the caution about the fragile bolts. DO NOT over-torque them!

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for the advice. After I saw pictures of the broken bolts, I understand why ! I didn't even try to tighten the bolts on my current breather valve any more than a millimetre...

I had thought of changing the entire coolant expansion tank, it's still good but has yellowed to the point that I can't see the coolant level. But after reading the instructions on the replacement of the tank, I decided not to...
Old 02-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #4

Please post the results of your bleeder valve replacement. My 2000 S also has some condensation in the same area. I have a new cap on order but suspect the bleeder valve may be at fault. I'm afraid to touch it for fear the tank will crack/break when I attempt to loosen the perimeter bolts. I'm interested to see how your repair turns out.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
Thanks for the advice. After I saw pictures of the broken bolts, I understand why ! I didn't even try to tighten the bolts on my current breather valve any more than a millimetre...

I had thought of changing the entire coolant expansion tank, it's still good but has yellowed to the point that I can't see the coolant level. But after reading the instructions on the replacement of the tank, I decided not to...
A wise idea not to replace the coolant tank unless it's leaking.

To get a better view of the coolant level through a somewhat opaque, yellowed tank, you can take the coolant cap off and put a flashlight vertically on the opening. That usually "clears things up".

Regards, Maurice.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Maurice, where did you see the valve for 33$?
Pelican parts has it for 80$

Do you know of a secret place thet sells these parts cheap?

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Maurice, where did you see the valve for 33$?
Pelican parts has it for 80$

Do you know of a secret place thet sells these parts cheap?

Thanks
Sasha
Sasha:

I replaced mine about three years ago, and I think I bought it from either Sunset or Suncoast.

Here it is from another source, apparently available for $32.68, but with an .01 ending on the part number. (Same part, but an earlier version, according to Porsche nomenclature scheme): http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/471829446

Let us know if you are able to get it, etc...

Regards, Maurice.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #8

I ordered my breather valve from the OPC in Malaysia and it cost about US$49. Which was surprising as the OPC in Singapore wanted more than twice that.

Anyway, I tried keying the part no into Pelican Parts and I think the price that came back was about US$80 if I wasn't mistaken.

It's a long wait for the part though.... up to 3 weeks was what they said.

Dale, I'll keep you updated once I get the breather valve.... it's no fun listening to the hissing sound from the area of the valve every time I do a spirited run. At least the coolant loss is quite small (fingers crossed !!!).