View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
shlim8

Finally got the breather valve installed this morning. The hardest part of the whole install was only the removal of the old breather valve housing. There is just no space to get a good grip of it. I used 2 allen keys (for the ikea furniture) and stuck them through the holes in the housing and yanked the housing out.

My old breather valve diaphram was in pretty good shape but the bolts were totally rusty and the O rings were slightly deformed. I found that everywhere the coolant came into contact with the plastic, the plastic looks different - you can actually see the fibres, whereas the dry parts were smooth. Does it mean I have corrosive coolant ??

Went for a 15min drive and after letting it idle for another 5 mins, the breather valve went to work and vented. Is it supposed to vent so quickly ? The housing was just somewhere between hot and warm and I could still touch it (water temp was around 85 degrees C, I have the low temp thermostat). This is a brand new breather valve that I just bought from the OPC. If it still vents so quickly, I presume I'll still get condensation on the trunk lid ??

The breather valve looks like an over-engineered item, on my E36 BMW, it's just a screw like thing on the radiator... (I know as it broke once !)

Last edited by shlim8; 03-07-2011 at 05:52 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote